Scottish International results

Discussion in '2003 Tournaments' started by seven, Nov 23, 2003.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    http://www.scotbadminton.demon.co.uk/2003scottishintchamps.htm

Result of the finals :

MS :
    Björn Joppien bt Sho Sasaki 15/17 15/7 15/11

WS :
    Xu Huaiwen bt Chie Umezu 11/4 11/5

MD :
    Logosz/Mateusiak bt Laigle/Stojanov 15/5 15/3

WD :
    Ogura/Shiota bt Grether/Schenk 8/15 15/11 15/12

XD :
    Archer/Kellogg bt Olsson/Andreasson 15/5 15/3

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Seven I was there every day until the finals and do have to say Joppien was the class act of the singles.

I primarily wanted to see Simon Archer and Donna Kellog play and during their first game in the tournament they did not look anything special but on the quarter finals on Saturday morning they were amazing and romped it 15-0 15-0, the semi final game was also excellent against Roebuck and Parker (also England).

now I can see why Simon Archer should be feared,he is a teriffic player and has a presence about him that many others lack. When he finished any games he was at the side of the court cheering on the other English players and boosting the atmosphere.

None of the other nations did this, even when the Scottish players were in the semi final (the only Scots still in the draw at this level) there were no other players visable at courtside to give morale a boost. The only cheering was from the crowd which contained some coaches and players.

The event was well organised and a good long weekend.

Thankyou to the S.B.U. and Glasgow City council

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Thanks for the report, nice to hear about Archer's "good spirit"! :)

by the way, did you watch the MD final?

it seems like Logosz & Mateusiak really thrashed Laigle & Stojanov... is it that they read there game too well? difference of pace? or just an off-day for Laigle/Stojanov?

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Sorry I never go to the finals day it's just too busy.

I prefer to go for the qualifying and the opening rounds because that's where the juniors normally play and get put out, they play for the match and competition experience. The boys and girls that you normally see in the training sessions rise to the occasion well and give it their all so they can make the jump up to seniors and it's always good to see what they have to aim for.

It was good to see some of the English juniors as well, we read about them on the forums but never put a name to a face or a playing style.

judging by the quarter and semi's the MD winners played excelently and they were destined to win they were just too good and too fast.

5. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

I agree with Dill. Despite his age, Archer is still one of England's best. Very difficult for England to replace him.

6. AndyH

AndyH Regular Member

Surveyor

Archer did the same at the Irish open too. It was noticed by many and came across as a friendly guy and had time for the kids who wanted to talk to him etc.