Sally's review of the 2005 WC.

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by GGsally, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm actually going back to Malay on the 14th for a short trip.

Sally[/QUOTE]

Hi Sally

Have heard of you a great deal but have not really sung any of your songs since I'm more into English language songs and choir singing. But I'm simply thrilled that you are an avid badminton player and fan. At least we've got two interests in common! :)

Any chance of you dropping by Singapore on your way to the other Southeast Asian nations for concert tours? I would love to invite you to a game of badminton and meet up with some of our more 'senior' choir members, many of whom I'm sure would know you much better than I do. Incidentally, slightly more than 40 members of our choir group visited Beijing in early September and performed a number of 'international' songs, a few with some of the young and talented conducting students of China's Music Conservatory.

Do keep on improving in your badminton game! ;)

2. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

No I'm not going to Singapore. Although I would love to cos I know my assistant would be so happy to go there cos she is Singaporean and she would be going home and I really like Singapore too. BUT.... too hot... and too wet at same time:p .

Sally

3. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

4. rudytjip

rudytjip Regular Member

Believe it or not, the way Etti (Tony's wife) put it, it was Howard who was looking for another partner, because he needed a partner who's an American citizen so they could play in the Olympics in Beijing. Tony's not likely to become US citizen in time for 2008.

But, if Tony & Halim could get special fast-track US citizenship, they may represent the US in the Olympics. How cool would that be?!?

5. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Experience switching to stiffer racket?

Hi Sally,
    Do you care to share your experience switching to a stiffer racket? Since you spec your racket, you probably know what you actually get. Does your shot become more powerful, or more precise? Does your playing style change after using a stiffer racket?

After I change my racket this year (to 4U) I know my next racket needs to be heavier, but I don't know whether I want a different stiffness. I'd appreciate how you find out what suits your style best.

6. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Do you care to share your experience switching to a stiffer racket? Since you spec your racket, you probably know what you actually get. Does your shot become more powerful, or more precise? Does your playing style change after using a stiffer racket?
    >> I can think of no better way than to demo the racquet you want to try. Of course if you don't play properly you need to end up changing arms, but finding the racquet that is suitable to your style of play is important. I found that my shots became stronger without trying so hard with the stiffer racquet. I actually use my arms alot (not good) and use to hit quite hard. With the current racquet I can clear to the baseline without so much effort which then saved the aches and pains in my body from previously trying so hard.

After I change my racket this year (to 4U) I know my next racket needs to be heavier, but I don't know whether I want a different stiffness. I'd appreciate how you find out what suits your style best.
    >>For a heavier racquet, I recommend the MP100 which is excellent but not sold anymore. Some places still have it I'm sure. I currently use our GGBC racquet S930 which is GREAT, but of course I recommend you try it first if you ever go to GGBC. Then the Nanospeed 7000 is good too. Not too light, easy to hit and pretty much play-friendly whether you are professional or not. 8000 I don't know. Never tried. I know the nano 7000, a great A+ player like Mike can play with it and someone like me can too (D player). It's best to get a demo from the club you go to and try it out!

OH! After I logged out I see you are in Sunnyvale. Close to GGBC! Come in over to try our demos. We have the MP100 Yonex and three lines for GGBC racquets. M723, S930 and Y803. I recommend you try them all and see how you feel. We also have a demo for Nano 7000 I think. Let me know!!! It costs $10 for demos but if you buy a racquet afterward your $10 will go towards credit for the cost.

Sally

#66 GGsally, Oct 10, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2005
  7. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Sally,
    Thanks for sharing. I don't know GGBC has a demo program until you said so. I've been to GGBC's grand opening, but the pro shop was closed at the time, nor was I aware that GGBC sell private branded rackets.

I suspect many players who picked up badminton on their own (instead of going thru formal training) have some trouble finding what kind of racket suits them best, so your experience is not unique, but not everyone get their 'aha' moment as you do. A racket demo program or fit clinic help solve this problem and give them a better experience playing. Footwork will give the greatest improvement for the average amateur, but an unsuitable racket is an unnecessary handicap that can be easily solved.

I'm confused why you said your current racket is stiffer. YY rates MP100 as extra stiff. Is your current racket even stiffer than MP100? Or you are comparing between your (otherwise similar) custom rackets?

8. harrycoomer

harrycoomer Regular Member

footwork and stroke production are indeed the key..

Doing the correct footwork and stroke combined takes the longest time and gives the best results.

9. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

I'm confused why you said your current racket is stiffer. YY rates MP100 as extra stiff. Is your current racket even stiffer than MP100? Or you are comparing between your (otherwise similar) custom rackets?
    >>I like using my current G2 racquet S930 more than the MP100 so I'm assuming it is NOT as stiff as the MP100. MP100 is a great racquet but heavier. As for stiffness, I suppose I'm suitable cos I'm quite a hard hitter. I'm not a good hitter, just a hard one and a stiffer racquet saves me alot of energy. But besides the G2 racquet, I like the MP100 and I had no idea it was super stiff! It just works well for me. I think it is good not to get too caught up in the notion of stiff, flexible or whatever. I think it is important to try as many as possible until you find the one you are most comfortable with. It might take some time, but once you find it, then you can get a whole bunch of the same racquet (that's what I did) and when new ones come out keep trying. It really depends what kind of a game you are playing, if you are beginner and you will improve or where you think your game is going. In the beginning I played with our G2- Y803 which is our best selling and most popular GGBC racquet. Then I went on to the current racquet, but our clubs most potential young player plays with Y803 even when he is competing so it just depends. Mike changes racquets all the time. He uses the G2-M723 80% of the time, then he likes YYTi-10, and nano 7000. We've sold alot of the Nano's too. Now YY put out a IBF beginners special racquet which is cheap and we are selling very well too. So many to choose from. Just come and try what is best for you! Even Jackie Chan gave me one, which I didn't even play with, just hung it on the wall, but I'm going to get him to give me some which I will put in GGBC in case anyone wants a playable souvenir from Jackie Chan, and I'm sure those will be limited edition soon cos Jackie's attention span is too short!

Sally

10. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    jackie chan

Even Jackie Chan gave me one, which I didn't even play with, just hung it on the wall, but I'm going to get him to give me some which I will put in GGBC in case anyone wants a playable souvenir from Jackie Chan, and I'm sure those will be limited edition soon cos Jackie's attention span is too short!

Sally[/QUOTE]

Hi Sally,
    I was just curious, how good is Jackie's badminton? Does he beat up people when he lost? ;)

Tks for sharing....any plans for you to visit Indonesia soon?

gunawan

11. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Well... he said he can play but I've never seen him play! I just asked him if he has any more racquets. Apparently, he made the racquets to give away as souvenirs to friends. His sport division doesn't intend to make anymore. He is looking into how many more he has and if he can give them to me for GGBC. I'm chasing and PUSHING him to do this! Will keep you updated.

I have never been to INdonesia and would LOVE to go if I can play with Sigit and them guys!

Sally

12. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Indonesia

Hi Sally,

You will like Indonesia. I will treat you to daily badminton here. I personally play 4 times a week and we have players with Sigit's skills on my groups. We also have ex national players playing in our groups.

So you dont have to worry about the level of play. Also since you have his number we can always call him. ;)

Anyway when you have the time and decided to come you can always contact me through this forum. I sent you a PM with my email address as well.

gunawan

13. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

I'm SURELY going to look for you whenever I can get to Indonesia! We have an INdonesian player that comes all the way from Fresno to play with us. Her name is Angie and she is a girl who plays like a MAN! She is really good! I do have to warn you, while I LOVE to play with good players, my own abililties are not NEARLY as adequate! :crying: So probably they will play a few games with me and then just drop me!!! :( But at least I can get a few games in! :D Thanks!! Hope to see you sometime then!

Sally

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Sally, this Angie, i think her full name is Ellen Angelina, right? she is the 2001 Indonesian Open Women's Singles Champion...

i saw her play once... all i can say is: :eek: :eek:

15. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

I'm not sure if that is the same one. We only know her as Angie but I've never seen her play singles. This Angie hand picked Miked to mix with her at our Doubles tournament. She drives over from Fresno every week almost. Mike hadn't slept much all week working on his exams at school and then work on the tournament so he "spent" himself beating Lily Zhou and her partner then left his beating heart in the office to fight Arnold and Daniel. He said he simply ran out of gas. Ha ha...

Sally

16. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Indonesia

Hi Sally,

Great, look forward to have you here next time. BTW i know Angie. She is different from Kwun's. Angie is also from the place where I live.

Rgds,
    gunawan

17. Caryne Au

Caryne Au Regular Member

Dear Sally,

I am a new to this forum. I am particularly happy to see you putting interest and effort into this badminton forum. I'm just like some of the forum members and I couldn't believe that I am communicating with Sally Yeh! This is amazing!!!

Firstly, I'm proud of you to be named the IBF Badminton Ambasssador which was held recently in Kuala Lumpur. Congratulations! Only if I was informed earlier, I would have come to see your game. I am a badminton addict, I enjoy badminton so much that I play 4 times in a week. I play both doubles and singles. I usually play 2 to 3 sets of singles with guys to improve my skills.

By the way, I am keen to have a game with you either in HK or Malaysia. Any plans to come to Malaysia again? How did you injured your right hand? I attended your recent concert in Arena of Stars at Genting Highlands. Great show! Badminton has been my favorite but unfortunately there are not many female player who are as enthusiastic as I am. Then, I found out that you are one of those very ENTHUSIASTIC badminton player and fan.

What's your next project? Any badminton courts in HK that I can join and play with you? My job requires me to travel, I am keen to make a "Badminton Trip" to HK. Please let me know.....

Cheers!

Passionate lady in Badminton
    Caryne Au

18. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Ottawa...? :)

HiSaly,

I am a big fan of yours and so is my mom :) But what I am impressed is that you are badminton addict like all of us here too ;)

Any chance you may be coming to Ottawa, Canada? The badminton clubs here would loev to have you here and play. BTW, I believe my ex-romate from high school is related to you..not sure...we went to St. Michael's University School in Victoria back in the 1985-1990. Rumor has it you went there for a semester too?

Anywayz, glad to hear you are appointed to the Ambassador for IBF. It will do great for the badminton game.

So if you get a chance to come to Ottawa which is famous for its longest uotdoor skating rink in the world and the extreme cold weather (-20C to - 50C), let me know, I can setup something with a good club here so you can play against some local BC'ers and others.

Take care.

bchaiyow

19. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    aw.. this is getting so hot in this forum here. eh, just wanna share some experiences here. Im 16 this year and taking O levels this year well i get to train lesser then. My coach comes from China and his name is lin mu. He's beaten some of the very good players in singapore and also once Lin Dan. Score 15-3.(one match only) He is a few years older than Lin Dan and is now a senior coach. My coach well sort of like being "fired" because of his height though he is 1.7+. They said he was alittle short. I find that ridiclous because badminton is not about height. Well, all i can say that i realised China players are very fast at the front, especially net play. They tend to just bring themself in the front so that they are able to "control" their opponent if you see how Lin Dan play and he is my IDOL!

This are some inspiring words that could apply to any badminton player. :)

In football, we harness the anger and turn it into a team effort.
    In badminton, we harness the anger and turn it into speed, agility, power, agression and accurracy.
    In life, there are goals and dreams. Goals set by people and goals set by ourselves.
    To achieve these goals we got to dream, dare to dream big not small. Dreams that people think are impossible, dreams people think that are stupid.
    When only we dare to dream, and work towards it, one day this dream will come true.
    I always believe in myself that i can do it one day.
    Every dog will have his day, its only a question of when. And when we make it that one day, never ever look back because you are on your way to a new life!

this quote, another one which i always keep it in my head because training is tough and sometimes to the extent that i want to give up(stop).

"Pain is temporary, quitting is forever."

"Water takes all kinds of shape, be water my friend.", Bruce Lee.

and keep fit everyone!

JerM