Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Airos

Airos Regular Member

There are too many ifs and buts. She will count 0.5 as a Chinese max.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    So a Chinese citizen fully trained in china, was in their B squad, registered by the French association is only half Chinese?

3. Airos

Airos Regular Member

My viewpoint is that if you are Chinese then you represent China. Else, either you are not good enough to represent China, or you are not patriotic enough.
    And as much as I know she took French citizenship.

The whole point why I rate a Chinese payer so highly is because of the competition there. If a player simply escapes the competition then she is no longer a part of the group. And certainly if it was the Olympics - someone representing France will not bring a medal for China.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Would be difficult to carry on as this is Saina's thread. Even a moderator shouldn't go too off topic :)

5. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Congrats SN for entering China Open final!
    I have actually given up on her, to be honest - I was thinking with all the money and sponsorships, that she have lost her appetite and fighting spirit for the game.
    Its great to hear that she went back to the drawing board and started to train and learn new strokes to change/improve her game.

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    I read all the discussions just now . But this one is classic. I thought why this thread is going off topic..... Thanks :)

7. avataar

avataar Regular Member

bringing back the thread on topic, this sainas 1st major win under new tutelage

signs of better things to come .... ?????

8. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Congrats to Saina.

If I am not mistaken there were 3 big prize money Super Series this year:
    Indonesia, Australia and China.
    Saina won 2 of 3 - although both in absense of LXR.

PS:The super series finals is $1M. That's still to come though.

#448 Airos, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  9. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

i think she and the coaches know that her reaction time is slow, that's what they were discussing about in the mid game intervals in SN's semi finals match against Liu Xin. I think SN's performance especially her court coverage has improved, and its good to hear that the coaches are working on the deficits in her game.

10. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think Saina hasn't lost to anyone other than the holy Chinese trinity (LXR,WYH,WSX) for at least 6 months now. Her last loss to anyone else came in early April. So I think after a horrible end to year 2013( and even the first 4 months of this year) when she was 8 or 9 in ranking she is slowly getting back. Over all, I think 2014 has been a decent year so far.

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

#451 AlanY, Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  12. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    She is showing improvement. She does not need 6 years I think. :)

13. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Apparently, initially they planned on skipping the tournament, but she was doing very well in practice and that changed their minds.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ead-says-coach-Vimal/articleshow/45181715.cms

excerpts:

'''I want to beat the Chinese in China,' was what Saina told me," Vimal told TOI. "That was her thinking process. She was doing exceptionally well during practice and she needed to build her confidence after the French Open defeat. I'm very happy for her. This victory will definitely be a big boost to her morale and psyche."

excerpts from a different article linked from the same website:

Admittedly, she was in two minds about taking part in the China Open, initially. "I didn't want to play in the tournament, as I had very little time to prepare after the French Open. But Vimal sir convinced me that I had it in me to win the championship. I just believed him and went ahead," shared Saina, who also called her previous coach Pullela Gopichand, soon after calling Vimal. "I wished him happy birthday, as it was his birthday on Sunday. He is the head coach of India, so, I am sure all the wins are like gifts to him."

When asked if she is going to continue training with Vimal, pat comes the reply, "Before I began training under Vimal sir, I was feeling stuck with my game. He tried a few new things to my game and it is working. I only improved after the World Championships. It's a process... wins don't come suddenly. I think now I have improved a lot."

_______
    ''I want to beat the Chinese in China''... that's the spirit!

14. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    She moved one place to Rank 4 now.

15. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Couldn't catch the Saina match on TV, but watched the Srikanth match live online.
    Can anyone explain what happened in the Saina match and what did the coaches/Saina say after the match. Also what did the commentators say during the match?

This also means that Saina lost to anyone other than the top 3 after a long time. Well, looking at the bright side : now Saina will not be complacent during the super-series-finals, which is more important than this HK tournament.

P.S: Trying to watch the Saina match on youtube. Tai Tzu Ying looks really pumped up. Saina not so much.

EDIT: Is star sports going to broadcast SK vs CL? At what time ? Really excited about that one.

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I am sure KS vs CL will be on tv court but I won't be able to watch. I will be on the road.:mad:

17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  18. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    The Indian third seed, who won last week’s China Open and the Australian Open in August, found it too difficult to move her tired legs against the Taiwan number one, losing in straight sets 21-15, 21-19 in the women’s singles.

“I was a bit tired after the China Open and although I gave my best today, I could not offer more,” said the Indian.

Nehwal is the only non-Chinese player to clinch a Superseries title this year. The world number four disagreed that the Chinese women are more vulnerable than before after both their number one and two seeds crashed out of the US$350,000 tournament in Hong Kong and failed to reach the China Open final for the first time in 28 years last week.

“All players are feeling the fatigue after a busy year, including the Chinese women,” she said. “They are as strong as before and it’s never easy to beat them in any tournament.”

Source - http://www.scmp.com/sport/other-spo...nehwal-dumped-out-hong-kong-open-tai-tzu-ying

19. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  20. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Yes this sentence is grammatically correct. The second "is" lays more emphasis on the sentence consider it as making the previous important ;):):cool: