Saina Nehwal : साइना नेहवाल

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by scorpion1, Jan 14, 2013.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Swaminathan, Saina presented 'Ambassadors of Goodwill' award

http://http://www.business-standard.com/article/pti-stories/swaminathan-saina-presented-ambassadors-of-goodwill-award-114071400461_1.html

EXCERPTS:

Eminent agriculture scientist M S Swaminathan and ace shuttler Saina Nehwal were today presented with the 'Ambassadors of Goodwill' award by International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) here.

Describing the award as an honour, Saina said she would promote the cause of agriculture in whichever way she can.

2. H4rvi

H4rvi Regular Member

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    A player always has to undergo these tough decisions.

Many of the non-commonwealth players will have extra time to train and prepare for the world championships. Players have to time their peaks accordingly.

4. *___*

*___* Regular Member

I doubt Saina updates her own twitter feed but I have no idea what she hopes to achieve from this. She is already a very rich woman from sponsorships

nsaina.PNG

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It is announced by new state government that saina will receive 50 lakhs announced for her bronze medal @ london olympics and further more 20 lakhs for her australian super series. So, I think that there is nothing wrong in asking the pending money. She has an iconic status in india. She is well deserved for this. She should be addressed immediately.

6. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Saina Nehwal to split with Pullela Gopichand, train with Vimal Kumar

HYDERABAD: One of the most successful coach-player partnerships in Indian sport may be coming to an end.

The combination of Pullela Gopichand and Saina Nehwal, which brought laurels to the country and made badminton more than a recreational sport, is reportedly splitting, at least for now.

It is learned that the 2012 Olympic bronze medallist Saina, who has nearly 20 international titles under her belt, has decided to move to Bangalore to train with former India coach Vimal Kumar ahead of the Asian Games.

The 24-year-old had conveyed the decision to Gopi during the World Championships in Denmark last week. The coach told her to go ahead.

Sources said Saina's loss of form and the rise of other players like PV Sindhu and K Srikanth had made her rethink her coaching options as Gopi was forced to split his time between these top shuttlers.

Her loss in the quarterfinals of the recent World Championship was the last straw. Saina Nehwal told TOI on Monday that she is looking for a change.

"Yes, I am going to Bangalore tomorrow. I want to train with Vimal Kumar Sir. His tips during the Uber Cup were quite helpful. But after the Asian Games I will come back here. I just want to try and train with him. I hope it will be helpful for me. I told Gopi Sir during the World Championships and he said OK," Saina said.

Incidentally, this is not the first time that the duo split. In 2011, Saina decided to train under Baskar Babu but returned to Gopichand within three months. She later regretted that decision and praised Gopi for helping her win the Olympic bronze.

But the rough patch she endured after winning the Denmark Open in October 2012 and Australian Open in June 2014 rattled her.

Though sources close to Saina said the shuttler will train in Bangalore for 15 days ahead of the Asian Games, it may also be a long-term arrangement.

Saina started training with Gopi before the latter became the national coach in 2006. She soon became the first Indian girl to win the Grand Prix Gold, Super Series and Super Series Premier titles.

Saina is also the only Indian to win an Olympic medal in badminton.

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...ain-with-Vimal-Kumar/articleshow/41491041.cms

7. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    hopefully this decision will help her find back the lost form. saina needs to really work very very hard and bring something new in her game, i still think she is troubled when opponents hit the shuttle at her deep forehand corner which was quite evident in her match against takahashi and li xuerui in world championships. she is almost beating every other player except li and wang yihan who are a class players and to win big titles she needs to perform well against them on a regular basis otherwise she will never be able to win the biggies, let's face it skills have become a standard thing now, there's not much difference between players in terms of skills. also she needs to be at her finess best, i don't know why but i feel she still looks a little bloated and it shows in her movement, she is not as quick as she was once used to be.
    that said, i know she is a hard worker, she will train and work hard to be better and she will never quit. people can say whatever they wan't to about her, we can't control them but she has proved it before that she is among the best and she will prove it again. go saina.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Arjevo,

There is no easy solution. Saina's twisting movement is always going to be her weak point. It's admirable that she has achieved so much even with that weakness in her game. I saw her perhaps 6years ago in Macau. Already remarked back then that her movement was heavy but her fighting spirit was taking her further. I suspect we may have already seen the best of Saina and cumulative small injuries will affect her future performances. I would be happy to be proven wrong.

9. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    i totally agree with you on this, her movement is not natural unlike most of the other badminton players but her retrieving abilities are the ones which have achieved her success in the badminton world. she is not a natural player but she is a worker and her never say die attitude on court shows her determination and mental state. hard work can take you wherever you wan't. .i hope she follows that very path.
    India needs her. .she can't fade away just like that, hopefully she will prove you wrong haha :)

10. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Why did she pass those comment on Chinese players? I think those were quite childish. LXR did reply to those and I find them quite appropriate rather than rude.

LXR: "Let her (Saina) beat me first, then we talk. Even if the number is reduced, she still has to beat players from China to win titles...Saina's issue is not only with us. Is she winning regularly against other non-China players? Maybe she should start beating them first."

11. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

We all know that SN does not think before speaking. Having said that, LXR should also not have replied so bluntly, there's a diplomatic way of answering such questions. Maybe there was misinterpretation in translation, but players (esp SN) need to learn how to give interviews, they should learn from tennis players for example.

12. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Speaking about the changes Saina needs to make to her game, the former national chief coach, Vimal Kumar, said, "She needs to work on her side-to-side movement and the variation in her back court game. I'm here to help her and talk to her about it. I have also spoken to Gopi about it on Tuesday. We have noted down what her requirements are and together we will work on it."

Vimal said the perception about people who go through tough patches needs to change. "The problem is once a person loses, the common perception is that the person is not fit and you need to train and get fitter. That is not always the case. The athlete needs to access his or her own abilities, open up about it and talk. Talking helps a lot," said the two-time National champion.

Terming Saina a tough and focused athlete, Vimal explained, "Saina is a mentally tough person and works with a single-minded focus. I've seen her from the time she was a kid. She just needs a little time to settle down. She wanted to come straight from the airport and train. That is her level of focus."

Source - http://www.deccanchronicle.com/1409...saina-settle-down’-says-new-coach-vimal-kumar

13. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    What about reports suggesting that Saina wasn't happy that Gopi had to divide his time between other shuttlers and her slip in form?

"All that is false," says Saina, adding, "I was only thinking about my training. And where did my form slip? At the World Championships, I had World No. 1 in my draw. It all depends on that, you see. However, my movement on the ground was pretty slow in recent tournaments and I wanted to work on that."

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...se-asks-Saina-Nehwal/articleshow/41688385.cms

14. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    nothing wrong to try out new things, all good players usally has many coaches because each coaches will give different input and training style... eventually she has to determine what is best for her. nobody can help her on this.

u r absolutely right, her footwork & movement has not change much or maybe have not change at all since i first saw her like 5-6years ago. compelling with injuries which might have slow her down + not so good court movement, no doubt she has been losing so much lately.

professional sports is very competitiveness...

15. Airos

Airos Regular Member

I joined here mainly because of Saina. (I am a Sindhu fan too). Kind of disppointed with how she lost again to Wang Yihan in the asian games. But somehow I feel that there is a silver lining somewhere. What do the guys here, her other fans, think? Like to know the opinions for why she lost.

16. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Saina lost simply because Wang Yihan played much better, coupled with Saina's unwieldy movement making it a lot easier for Wang. In her post-match interview, Saina said that she wasn't too unhappy about the result, since they've played each other before and it's always been one-sided. She added that after winning set 1, she felt extremely tired and tried to rest at the beginning of Set 2 and from thereon, never could regain momentum.

Also, here's an excerpt from a news article:

17. Airos

Airos Regular Member

When I saw Saina play the first game I was really hopeful. I was impressed by Saina's attacking play. that's when Saina plays best- when she is aggressive. That's also the way to beat Yihan as Marin has shown in the WC. Could Saina maintain her rhythm of first game, I really think she would have won. But the second and third round was bizarre in the way Saina surrendered. Wang Yihan played a fighting game reaching for every shuttle, but Saina never looked a shadow of the player that she was in the first game.

Ah, that article seems to be similar to this one here:
    http://indianexpress.com/article/sports/badminton/nehwal-runs-into-her-great-wall-once-again/

Interesting to read this:
    So it seems she will stay at the Padukone academy for a while and concentrate on her movements. I think that's a good idea.

Also Aparna Popat seems to feel that the drift might have helped Yihan more than Saina.
    http://www.in.com/videos/news-video...a-nehwal-chinese-jinx-continues-502104-4.html

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Read the posts just above yours and you will find the opinion on why she loses.

19. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Which post specifically do you mean? Everyone seems to have their own opinions.

20. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Well it seems Wang Yihan has just won the gold medal. Is back with a bang?
    Incidentally, just like Saina Li Xuerui lost the first set and lost the last one 7-21.