RsM Tournament/BC gathering Updates!

Discussion in 'Canada East' started by Devilicious, Aug 7, 2005.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    bump...

Any updated pics??? :p

2. Devilicious

Devilicious Regular Member

student
    Jinryu is a very busy man. :p And when Jinryu is free yesterday, web server was down, lol.

3. ^Tayo^

^Tayo^ Regular Member

It was my fault, he came to sell me some birds. Hehehe

4. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    Yepppp, been real busy. Since the tournament, I've only had the chance to play badminton about 2-3 times so far :eek: And BC, i've only been checking it maybe twice a week and haven't had time to keep up with all the recent posts... i'm so out of touch!

Something i shoulda mentioned earlier: I'm really glad that so many people made it to the event-- the added publicity has attracted some newcomers at the Weekender club and fresh meat is always good to make things interesting.

I've gotten to know a lot of new badminton players (not just BCers but a lot of people, in general) from the tournament... hopefully others had the same positive experiences as well.

I'm thinking perhaps of having the 2nd edition of the tournament sometime in the begining of 2006. I figure winter is a great time to get people to play badminton since all the outdoor sports are done with.

But i finally got around to it and there are new photos up as of 5 minutes ago, you can see them at www.racketsportsmontreal.ca . There's a picture of a young kid in there (you'll see when you check the pictures). For those of you wondering, no, he wasn't a contestant, but from the looks of things he could be a pretty tough contender if he's got that 'early age training' edge that people like I didn't have:rolleyes:

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Pics look great, you guys:)! Excellent work, Jinryu! This could be another reason to visit Montreal besides the summer jazz festival:p. Only downer is I don't see Lazybuddy getting enough 'torture'... he's still sitting down:D. When he's lying on the bench, that's when we know he get enough action;).

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, I was smart enough to stay just a wkend. If I did like in van (9 days?), I am sure i would need someone to carry me off court. Man, my strokes / stance really look weired... :eek: :(

7. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Everyone looks surprising to themselves on camera.

I never noticed it before LB, but do you hold your racket by the butt or something...??

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Sorry for the late reply. Yeah, I do hold the racket very much toward the butt end. My grip usually wear out @ the 1/3 or 1/4(count from butt) spot. ;)

9. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

How odd--- so how many fingers do you use? Does that mean that the 4th and 5th (pinky) never touch the grip?:confused:

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    When I do overhead stroke, the butt end is sticking into my palm. Therefore, I say 3.5 fingers are on the grip, with the 4th right against the edge of butt cap, and the last on right against the cap face.

So, for my grip, the top 2/3 are like new, and the bottom 1/3 are really wore out. :p

11. piclic77

piclic77 Regular Member

want to play in tournament

Hi all, sounds like everyone had a great time. i am also very much into badminton and would like to play in the tournaments held in toronto or montreal. Even to meet new friends and/or just to have played some badminton in a different country would be great.

We dont have much tourney here in the US east coast, so getting real trouney experience anywhere else is a plus.

12. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

I am trying to put one together for January or February, but we'll keep you posted.:cool:

13. piclic77

piclic77 Regular Member

tourney early next year

Thanks for the quick response jinryu. It sounds like the tourney you held recently was a sucess. That would be great if you can keep me posted on any tourneys coming up in around montreal or toronto.

14. Volts

Volts Regular Member

what happend to this thread, it's so dead! lol

15. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    That's cuz the tournament was held over a month ago.. :p

16. iso300

iso300 Regular Member

It's time for another one! :D

Perhaps make it a KTR tournament this time?

17. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

Definitely, the next one will be bigger and better!

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I suggest a "team" tourny, as we have in my local area. 8 teams consist both male and female players, and use the team result to determine the championship.

As for us, the format is like the following:

1. Each team need minimum of 6 guys and 3 girls. Each person, can play no more than 2 games when face the other team in any round.

2. Round 1: divide 8 teams into 2 groups, round rubin. Btw 2 teams, there are 9 games need to play: 2 MS, 3 MD, 1 LS, 1 LD, 2 MXD. Teams need to play all 9 games, in case we need it to determine the ranking.

3. Round 2: the top 2 teams from each group advance to "play off". A1 against B2, B1 against A2 in semi. The bottom 2 teams from each group follow the same format for 5th-8th. In this round, u can choose play 'best 5 of 9" or all 9 games, depend on the stamina and court time. If "best 5 of 9", the 1st 5 events need to be MS, MD, LS, LD, MXD.

4. If all the game are "best 2 of 3", then, u need at least 6-8 courts, and about 10-12 hrs (6 courts) to finish all. If u get 8 courts, then, I assume 8 hrs should be good enough.

19. Chow Mein

Chow Mein Regular Member

Team tourneys are fun, but they require way too much time. The participants will have more fun and play more games in a "round robin with pools" format.

There is a team tourney on the Sports Experts/Yonex circuit in May after the Provincial championships...it's called "Coupe Fede". This is a three day tournament.

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Too much time? Not really.

Round 1: 9 games between 2 teams, so, 27+18+9=54 per group. 108 in total.
    Round 2: say average 7 games between 2 teams, 56 in total.

Therefore, the total per event is about 160-180 games. If using 8 courts, that means, 20-22 games per court per day. Therefore 8-10 hrs of court renting is good enough.

For individual tournies, even say single elimination, a draw of 64 means 32+16+8+4+2+1 = 63 games. And that's only 1 event. Thinking about all 5 events, that will be hell of games to be arranged. Never to metion, this means single elimination. So, for not so good players, they might end up just 1-2 games for the day.

The beauty of team event, is 1st, less management required for the host as the games are arranged between team managers (i.e. less need to update the draw, wait for players who have mult. events, etc). Then, everyone of the team has a chance to participate. And also, the managers need some of "strategy" to utlize his/her players, to maximize the effort and benefit the result. :p