rising stars

Discussion in '2001 Sudirman Cup / World Championships' started by hm..., May 30, 2001.

1. hm...

hm... Guest

It seems that Jun Jae Youn from Korea is going to be a next star. Korea was capable to produce good female singles. Jun would be the next prodigy.

Ra Kyung Min is also in very good form. She even changed her hair style and color. I once mistook her as another young sexy rising star from Korea.

There are two pairs in Korea Men's double. I'm wondering whether Korea is going to pair Kim/Ha in the Mens Double against China. Generally most people think Lee/Yoo is not better but at least as good as Kim/Ha. Lee/Yoo even gained more points and better ranking positions than Kim/Ha. But when against China, they are totally different. Lee/Yoo have lost most of the matches against China pairs, while Kim/Ha have won most of the matches. Therefore, whether or not pair Kim/Ha against China is a detector to indicate whether Koreans serious about the match today against China.

Koreans are always good in big events. They achieved the best they could last World Championships. I bet they prepared fully for this one too.

Korea, Denmark and China all come up strong this time. Indonesia is relatively weaker except their Men's doubles.

2. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Some pts to make:

1) Korean head coach Kwon Seung Taek and Chinese head coach Li Yongbo (who was observing the match bwt Korea and Sweden) both said that Jun bt Marina coz the latter made too many mistakes, not because she is a very powerful player herself. No comments coz I didn't see the match.

2) Kwon suggested that he would "prefer to" meet Denmark in the semis because all their 3 doubles will come up strongly against them. So they will "fight for whatever they have to fight for" and "throw whatever they have to throw".

Source was the chinabadminton page.

3. hm...

hm... Guest

Thanks for your comments.

By the way, I just did some research. There are just four matches between China men's doubles and Korean men's doubles. Kim/Ha won two of two. Lee/Yoo lost two of two. Zhang/Zhang won one and lost one, Yu/Chen won one and lost one.

Thomas Cup:
    Kim/Ha bt Yu/ Chen
    Zhang/Zhang bt Lee/Yoo

Last WC:
    Kim/Ha bt Zhang/Zhang

Last Sudirman Cup:
    Yu/Chen bt Lee/Yoo

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it is quite clear that Kim/Ha is the stronger pair than Lee/Yoo. Lee/Yoo is higher on the ranking only because they have been a more active pair while Kim has been nursing an injury.

the only question regarding fielding Kim/Ha is whether Kim has recovered from his injury or not. it was announced a while ago that Kim will be retiring from MD and only concentrate on XD. however, the fact that Kim/Ha is in the WC draws indicates that he is fit enough to play.

that may either be a last effort from Kim, or it may have been a tactic played by the Korean coaches all along.....

as for Zhang/Zhang vs. Kim/Ha, i think Kim/Ha has the edge. however, Zhang Jun and Kim will both be playing in the XD as well, and Zhang seems to have amazing amount of energy (he is a chubby boy, none the less) and whether Kim will be able to sustain such level of endurance, we will have to see. also, looking from the recent Asia Cup, the Zhangs really has improved dramatically.

it will be interesting to see the furious attack from Kim/Ha going against the Great Wall defense of the two Zhangs.

5. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Last Sudirman Cup... I think it wasn't Yu Jinhao and Chen Qiqiu but Yu Jinhao and Zhang Jun.