Rexy tells under-achieving duo to stay home and train

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by yannie, Feb 2, 2007.

1. yannie

yannie Regular Member

The Star
    Friday February 2, 2007

Rexy tells under-achieving duo to stay home and train

KUALA LUMPUR: The national doubles pair of Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Lin Woon Fui have fallen out of favour with coach Rexy Mainaky following their uninspiring performances in the first two Open tournaments of the year.

They will not get to play in the Swiss Open next month. And this is a blow to the world number 12 pair. Despite their higher world rankings, they are the only national pair who will miss the fourth leg of the Super Series.

The others – Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Gan Teik Chai-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Chan Chong Ming-Hoon Thien How – will take part in both the All-England in Birmingham (March 6-11) and the Swiss Open in Basel (March 13-18).

At the season-opening Malaysian Open, Fairuzizuan-Woon Fui were beaten in the second round by Japanese Shuichi Sakamoto-Shintaro Ikeda. In the Korean Open last week, Poland’s Michal Logosz-Robert Mateusiak sent them packing in the first round.

Rexy said that he had hoped the duo would regain his confidence in them at the All-England.

“They only get to go for the All-England. Their performances in the first two Opens were not up to the mark. They were not supposed to lose to those pairs. Unlike Zakry-Gan and Tan Fook-Wan Wah, they did not improve on their performances in the Korean Open,” said Rexy.

“Now, they don't have to worry about the Swiss Open and can concentrate fully only on getting their act right in the All-England. They reached the semi-finals last year and I hope to see another good run from them.”

Rexy added that the other pair could expect to be treated in the same way if they failed to live up to expectations in international tournaments.

“I would prefer them to stay home and work on their game if they do not come up to the mark,” he said.

Prior to the All-England, Fairuzizuan-Woon Fui will compete in the Proton National Grand Prix Finals, which begin on Thursday in Kuala Terengganu. And it will do their confidence some good if they manage to win the national title for the second time. They were the champions in 2005.

2. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

that's a bit risky. if they do well in the all-england (a big if), then not allowing them to continue when they are on a roll in switzerland seems a bit of a waste. but then if they still fail to perform, rexy's decision would have been correct. quite a gamble, but with 3 other pairs, i guess sacrifices have to be made.

3. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Dreamzz, are you planning to go to All England?

4. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i really want to, but i can't, march is a very bad time for me ... work-wise.
    but there are a lot of people on the forum that are going, so i'm hoping we'll get our usual dose of pictures and private interviews ....

5. yannie

yannie Regular Member

off-topic: hahahaha okay, maybe next year then ;)
    a lot of people on the forum that are going? how come i just know a few who are going.. :mad:

anyway, i think rexy should give lin and fairuz chance to go to swiss open as well.

6. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Well,i think what rexy do is just for the players own good and i do hope that they can improve and mas really need more talented player.

7. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yup, check it out ...
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38417

8. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, i guess we can't really question rexy's judgement, after all, he has helped MAS's MD pairs a lot since he's joined BAM.

9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

10. gsloh

gsloh Regular Member

IMO, it will serve as a good wake-up call for the players to buck up and perform - similar to football(the soccer type;) !) or the NBA where underperforming players get benched to stoke their desire to prove a point.

Off-topic, I'll be at the AE semifinals day (too skint to go for a few days!), unfortunately, I only know a handful of people (and that by electronic communication only!) on the forum - ah well, guess we all have to start somewhere and build bridges:eek: !

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, indeed, everyone's too spread out in the uk and there are too few of us in any case.
    take a group pic and post it, then at least we can put names to faces ... or nicks to faces as the case may be.

12. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    Dreamzz, I really doubt that they could do well in AE. It seems tat they havent been able to tackle those pairs tat they are not familiar with. Unlike KKK/TBH which is their sparring partner in MAS national squad where KKK/TBH play is familiarized by them.

13. alfa2

alfa2 Regular Member

architect
    We shouldnt doubt and question rexy's decision. Despite the fact that there are lots of good coach nowadays, but one that is really committed to his profession is hard to find. Mostly he has visions and wisdoms that have induced MD players in the national squad to respect and follow his lead, and that my fren, is scarcity.

14. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    i think we are lucky to have Rexy as MD coach.. he knows whats best for the players..
    he said before.. he had a successful career as a player and now he wants to have a successful career as a coach as well... no matter which country he is serving in....
    so far its been quite good in the MD department except for LWF/MF and CTF/LWW but there are improving... hope to see something more from them in AE...

15. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I think Rexy partially want to show of his authority. He wants the players to know who's the boss. Lets just hope his strategy work.

16. emmsfan

emmsfan Regular Member

Student
    Lin WOon Fui-Fairuz did quite well in the last All-England, there's a possibility that they might pull it off again. I heard there was a rumour going round that they might break up if they don't buck up.
    Jia yoouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!

17. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    they've paired up since they were teenagers so its a shame if they were to break up

18. ixory

ixory Regular Member

If they really failed to deliver,they has to start all over again.It really hard man.They has to begin from bottom.They has to buck-up this time and bring back rexy trust on them.