Reviews For Affordable Rackets - Under $135

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Scrench, Nov 10, 2019.

1. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

This, so much this. My friend wanted a new racket, ended up choosing an AX9. When it got to me for stringing, I was appalled. I knew the factory stringjob wasn’t great, but man this felt like hitting with a dead squirrel. I made a 'ping'-video comparing it with a fresh bg65 at 10kg (22lbs), the BG3 sounds like a Trust subwoofer:

They don't sell top rackets with strings in it, but maybe these shouldn't either. Get your rackets strung, peoples!

Also really like the Astrox 7 as a fit-for-most recommendation, at a good price and has nice handles (and only about 75 euros over here, leaves some bucks for stringing :D)

BPlz and s_mair like this.
  2. thedarkstone

thedarkstone New Member

It's a healthy discussion dude, I would not mind anything you say.
    I have been playing badminton for more than an year and I play everyday so it might have happened and my wrist and hand had adjusted to head heavy rackets and I didn't notice the minute differences like the one you were telling about.
    Everybody has his own unique body so you can't idealise anything much. I have large hands and have a good height, so slightly head heavy rackets don't feel head heavy at all to me. Rackets like Voltric 10DG only feel head heavy to me.
    But I would like to point out that it doesn't feel like the Voltric of 2010-2012 era at all. That time and this time has so much difference. Yonex discovered a hell lot of new stuff and technology to put in their rackets now, which were not present at that time.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

cueteachme likes this.
  3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That's more like a "plonk" video, mate! And "dead squirrel"..... :D

thyrif likes this.
  4. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

"Climbing rope" and "dead squirrel" got me laughing:)

And, oh my gosh, I tried the "ping" test on my two rackets and the frequencies for my Victor V4000 and Yonex Armortec 700 were almost identical to the two in the video. Some low-level factory string on the 4000, BG65 on the 700 with about 6 hours on it.

#24 Scrench, Nov 12, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
  5. missclicked

missclicked Regular Member

Sure... expecting it to be delivered by this week.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

6. missclicked

Astrox smash arrived, I am going to play tomorrow, hopefully can get a good feeling of this racket.

Just to compare ax38s and astrox smash, both shaft felt like the same stiffness even those the 38s rated stiff and the Smash rated hi-flex... just by feeling thou.

The racket is very light, 6u, and from swing it , the balance point feels like around 290mm to 300mm-ish.

Eventhou this is an 6u (F) weight, the RGS still can be felt,I can feel the subtle shifting balance between the handle and head heavy frame..

Lets see how the it performs in court tomorrow [​IMG]

7. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

very nice. I have an astrox 77 myself. been thinking if I should buy a 68d or 69 to try.

whats the difference between the 38s and the 68d. is it just more heavy headed?

8. missclicked

38s is the only even-balance BP of all astrox 99/88 and their shadows.. but since its 5mm shorter than the 68d, its easier to control the racket. All of them are HH rackets.

68d is more head heavy with 310mm BP, I felt it has stiffer shaft just a tiny bit compare to the 38s.

I think you should try the 68d, as when I borrow my friends 69, *feels* like my shaft is more solid.. Maybe in-deed the flex point for 69 is at the bottom of the shaft but dont quote me.

There's a topic here started by Foo.tw iirc, what he review on his 88d 4u is almost the same of what I felt with my 4u 68d.

From my 2cent, get the 68 series from Taiwan, they are seem more closely resembles the 88 series.

on a side note the Astrox smash and 38s shaft stiffness felt the same, even thou one is rated high-flex and the other is stiff.

9. missclicked

Short review for Astrox Smash 6u. I am a mid beginners level who currently plays around 4hours of badminton weekly.

I was initially looking into Astrox 22, 55, 5fx lightweight, and decided to get the astrox smash since there was a deal on it.

Strung 24lbs Kizuna Z65P (0.65mm), VSE overgrip over original yonex wrap.

Pro : fast racket. easy to defend with this. drive is as easy as using the astrox 38s.

Con : low power for full smash. Acceptable half smash

Verdict, this racket full smash is lacking and forces you to swing faster to generate more weight into it. even then its still can't compete with my voltric 200 (5u) smashs or my abroz venom.

This racket reminds me of nanoray lights series but with working RGS balance, maybe you would need to string this racket +1 lbs higher than your usual tension to increase the smashes power ceiling.

tldr; very easy racket to use but lacks of smash power

[​IMG]

10. ssgg007

ssgg007 Regular Member

Thanks for the update

11. missclicked

Bought Apacs Commander 10 (5u), String Ashway 64TX 25Lbs, Fleet Overgrip over original wrapping.

After a session with it, this one have more power to smashs (by a bit) compare to Astrox Smashs. Shines in front court to Mid court.. struggle a bit in backline clear..

Good enough affordable racket for Front court double player, or female player.

Sold it to a buddy after trying it as his gameplays seems fine with that racket.. (front court, non-smashing player, Male, advance-beginner level)

12. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Has anyone tried an Adidas Kalkul A5? Impressions?

13. Shiverz

Shiverz Regular Member

Try gosen gravitas, babolat satelite gravity, abroz power 9900, some rackets from kumpo and jnice are also good and not so expensive.

14. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    To be frank, if we only talk about under $135 rackets, I think APACs wins hands down.

15. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

#35 Dave1011, Jan 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  16. Daniel5567

Daniel5567 New Member

Try the Victor Arrowspeed 18 which cost about $50USD. I interchange this racquet and my bravesword 12 during my sessions and IMO they play very similar.

17. Scrench

Scrench Regular Member

Daniel5567, I'm seriously considering a Bravesword 12 and would love to find a cheaper alternative to it.

But there is no Victor Arrowspeed 18. There is the Auraspeed 30, 70, 80 and 90, and the Jetspeed 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12. Did you mean one of them?

18. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Arrow Speed is a mid priced range from Victor. They are cheaper versions of BS, JS etc.
    I've not tried them so can't comment on quality.

19. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Some say Apacs Lethal 10 is the nearest to BS12, I have used both and although it looks similar the Lethal 10 plays differently in my opinion.

Apacs virtuoso performance and Adidas Spieler series are very good value for money.
    The high end Adidas ranges may also just fit into this price.

20. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    The Apacs Virtuoso Pro is basically a bravesword 12 clone if you can get your hands on one