Review: Yonex Voltric Z Force II

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by LoneRanger, Feb 25, 2014.

1. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Regular Member

Student
    Before I proceed with my review of the all new ''2014 Yonex Voltric Z Force II'', I would like to state to all who are reading this personal review that this is all based on my thoughts on my experiences with this racquet. All my opinions stated is in my perspective from my 7 days of playing with it. I would also like to mention that not everyone is alike and that a certain racquet may be 1 man's trash but another man's treasure.

Okay... Firstly, I would like to mention a few informative statements about myself. I am mainly a singles player but sometimes play doubles for leisure purposes. And unlike most people I know and or have met, I find racquets such as 2U ''Yonex Nanoray Z Speed'' and other 2U or even heavier head heavy racquets such as ArmourTecs and Li Ning Woods N90s to be quite a simple and easy task to manuvour over minimal distances when playing in front and swinging in over a few matches doesn't tire my arm out. Okay.. I'll try not to be too long winded and get on with the review.

Racket: Yonex Nanoray Z Force II
    Specifications: 3UG5
    Flex: Stiff
    Grip; Karakal PU Multi Blue(0% Overlap)
    String: Yonex BG85 Blue
    Stringing Machine: Yonex ES5 ProTech
    Stringing Method: 4 Knots
    Pre-Strech: 100%

Graphics:
    Well, when I first recieve my SP coded ''Voltric Z Force II'', I was astonished by its looks. I always love a matte coated racquet as its texture is much smoother than other racquets and it it stands out from others. The matte coating also adds a sense of mystery to what the racquet beholds and make it seem like a silent whisperer, mysterious and you wouldn't sense what it can do. The matte black and neon blue also helps this sense of mystery as well, but some may like it and some may not. The colour scheme is somewhat like some local food you may find in asia, its either you love it, or you dislike it, in my perspective this is the best looking racquet I've ever seen and takes the top spot ahead of the Li Ning Woods N90s. I happy to say that the stickers/decals that some of you may have talked about in the VTZF-II thread aren't that big a deal in my opinion. As long as you don't treat it like a toy and treat it with the respect that is so truly deserves than it wouldn't bother you 1 minute bit.

First Impressions:
    Straight after receiving it, I gripped it with ''Karakal PU Multi Blue'' and strung it with Yonex BG85 Blue so my thoughts on this part of the review is accurate because a racquet with and without strings can make a big difference. Just swinging it in my hand, I could feel the momentum propelling the head down fast. In my perspective, this is not tiring nor causes me physical pain after or during my matches as I've stated above and that I don't feel the same way as others may do. To me, the swing speed difference of the 4U and 3U alternative is not much of a difference.(Yes, I also got the 4U alternative) However, down at the court the 3U seems to have more power and that extra feedback and momentum that I like in my racquets. I shall talk more about this is the later part of the review, so be patient.

Stringing Impression:
    The new technology Yonex has built into this beast of theirs also known as ''Tungsten Infused Grommets'' is a delight. The strings lie partially into the frame(From front view) makes it easier to thread from grommet to grommet an ease. And I was using ''Yonex BG85'', very alike to the 'Yonex BG80'' most of you love, it has a super rough texture and is made easy to thread through grommets and shared grommets. Please note that I strung at 25x27Lbs via the 4 knot method with 110% pre-strech.

Transition:
    I switched over to this racket from other rackets such as 'Karakal BN60', 'Yonex ArcSaber FlashBoost F', 'Victor LightFighter 7000' and 'Apacs FeatherWeight 200' all weighing from 69-76 grams and being head-light and even-balanced racquets, you'd expect the transition to be quite massive and I would take a super long period of time to get used to it and even tame it. However, after my first 5 minutes with this racket, I was already tied to it and it improved my game superbly.

Clears:
    Alike paulstewart64, I always do clears with my opponent before getting on with the all exciting match. I did clears with my friend who had a ''Yonex Nanoray Z Speed'' strung with the same machine and string method at the same tension with 'Yonex Nanogy 98 Black in hand. He switched over from a 'Yonex Arcsaber 11. He isn't the most powerful player but his shots were still in a range. Clears.. well, just a little push can send the shuttle soaring to your opponents rear court and even out by a margin. When using the same strength I used in my even-balanced racquets, all my shots at a 55 degree angle always swiped the celling and still managed to reach my opponent with ease. However, maintain you power, or else it would fly up away and out...

NetPlay:
    Singles match was an ease, from a head-heavy balanced 3U racquet you would expect that it would be quite weak and slow upfront but it wasn't. The weighted head provided momentum, the aerodynamics provided less drag against air resistance and the small head reducing fatigue when starting off from a standstill all helped together to make this outstanding at the net. I wouldn't say its the fastest racquet obviously.. But, its still super snappy for a Voltric.

Lifts;
    Returning smashes was also as ease. The advantages I stated earlier helped get to the shuttle but now the problem is returning it with sufficient power. As you would expect from a head heavy racket, it was significantly easy. The momentum provided but the weighted head could easily repel the shuttle high up and away with the slightest of touch.

Drives;
    Drives were crisp, no lag what so ever. However, be careful with your strength, you don't want to hit the shuttle out.

Smashes:
    Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... You know it. Its a Voltric. That's all I can say... As expected from a Voltric especially the 'Z Force', WOAH!!. I was generating the fastest, harder, loudest smashes I've ever did. However, this is the only part that tires my arm out a little. By doing 3 jump smashes and above in a row, you arm gets tired out and your opponent may use this as a advantage to themselves. So remember, wait for the perfect moment. It ain't all about smashing but also forcing yourself the chance to do so. I would also like to add on that the smashes I could mam=nge were really really steep and all landed deep in the front court.

Doubles:
    Most people I know have this to the cause of the harsh decision between 3U or 4U. But I'm happy to say that both of these racquest perform really well in doubles. However, if you really the doubles guy. Get the 4U alternative, there isn't much difference but the small step up in speed may be more important than a little power. With a Voltric is hand, your net kills will be quick smashes, your drop shots will be half smashes so why care about that little power and go fo 4U but the 3U isn't bad at all.

Conclusion:
    So, if you're the kind of guy who finds the 2U alternative of the ''Yonex Nanoray Z Speed' and 3U alternative of the ''Yonex Voltric Z Force'' to not require much effort than the 3U ''Yonex Voltric Z Force II'' is just for you. However, for those who play doubles more often, go for the 4U alternative. The VTZF2 -II to me feels much lighter and snappy than the previous VTZF. If you're having a hard timewith the 3U VTZF than go for the 4U VTZF-II. If you're fine with your 3U VTZF-II and think you could go for a little more than go 3U. I'll post some pictures in my next post for head comparison between the ''Yonex Voltric Z Force II', ''Yonex Nanoray Z Speed'' and 'Li Ning Woods N90 II''

2. LoneRanger

Student
    DSC_0204.jpg
    Okay, I hope all of you are able to view these photos

3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Nice review. Very thorough. Would love to see written comparisons directly comparing with the Z-Speed, VTZF/VT80 and JJS/MX90.

4. LoneRanger

Student
    Well then, I shall write 1 down quite soon. I shall try my friend's Nanoray Z Speed for the next few days

5. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    By the looks of it, even if the head of ZF2 is similar to ZSpeed, it does look a tad bigger.

6. LoneRanger

Student
    How about I post another picture of the 2 racquet's frame in top of one another tomorrow kay?

7. visor

visor Regular Member

The rackets on the sides are distorted by the camera's wide angle lens. Try taking the picture from further back to minimize this effect.

8. LoneRanger

Student
    All right then, I shall snap 2 more pictures tomorrow. 1 to compare the dimesions of the racquets for example shaft length and overall length, and the other to compare head loop/size/shape and shaft diameter.

#8 LoneRanger, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. LoneRanger

Student
    Shall I add any other racquets to the picture comparison as well?

#9 LoneRanger, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

VT80, VTZF, ZSPD, VTZF2 should be perfect

11. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    And JJS and MX90 if you have them!

12. LoneRanger

Student
    Well... I'll see if I can get a Voltric 80 in the picture, I only 1 person who has one but I don't know whether he'll use it tomorrow. I probably will though. As for the Voltric Z Force, I can't help you out there. Mine broke 4 weeks ago and I can't find any shop nor friends who have it in hand. I'll try though

13. LoneRanger

Student
    Sorry Naim.F.C, I don't seem to be able to find any stores carrying Victor products down here in SG.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

In that case, then don't worry about the others as long as you have the VTZF2, ZSPD, and one other regular isometric racket.

15. LoneRanger

Student
    Okay. I've an ArcSaber 11 and ArcSaber 11 Taufik Hidayat Edition. Maybe I shall put 1 of them in as well. I'll also put in Li Ning Woods N90 II and maybe... Umm... Some other Voltric/Nanospeed/Nanoray/ArcSaber

So my picture will include the following: Li Ning Woods N90 II, Yonex Voltric Z Force II, Yonex Nanoray Z Speed, Yonex ArcSaber 11 Taufik Hidayat and probably 1 more from Yonex with an isometric head.

16. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Probably you can place your whole collection. :p

17. LoneRanger

Student
    DSC_0220.jpg

My 2U Z Speed and 3U Z Force

18. LoneRanger

Student
    DSC_0217.jpg
    My ArcSaber 11 TH which I keep it as new as possible

19. LoneRanger

Student
    DSC_0222.jpg

Wrong image above. Description should be my new Z Speed with Z Force 4U also havent used yet

20. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    Thank you for your review.:)

Which one do you think is better for mens double,
    3u NRZSP or 4u VTZF2 ?

Would you mind measure the balance point, thank you.;)