Review of the Yonex Astrox 77 - Too Good :)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nihal, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

I meant that since it is a bit sluggish, you can feel it lag a bit during the first few days, then it gets fine and you get used to. Also not a huge problem imo

2. Froilan Rivera

Froilan Rivera Regular Member

hey, i might know you. . waiting for your comment for nbg99

3. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Yeah, nbg99 is quite different from nbg95, nbg99 has way more bite onto the shuttle than the nbg95. The slice shots causes the strings to move more often than the nbg95 in my Ax77. Overall has more control in the shot but not for full-on attack player. Power is fine, not the best, 95 does better IMO.

4. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Hi there
    I just restrung my racket with nbg 99 (actually my 2nd time restringing it with nbg99) Love the string, just like the nbg 95 but with more control and more bite onto the shuttle, more repulsion and durability is noticeably less, will last about 2-3 months with 5 days a week use of 2 hours each day,

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  5. LuckyR

LuckyR New Member

Hi, I am using the Astrox 77 because I need the medium flex for power generation (I am trying to use skill level for control). But I play almost exclusively doubles. What would you recommend as a faster doubles racquet that would have similar power to the Astrox 77?

Froilan Rivera likes this.
  6. Budi

Budi Regular Member

None.
    If you want power get heavier or head heavier racket, but it will slow you down.
    If you want speed get lighter or head lighter racket, but you will find yourself losing power.
    Power & speed are 2 side of coin, you never able to see both side fully at the same time.
    Also some mention racket frame affect so little on majority of shot tho i havent experiment with it to tell if its true or not. But by logic, an airplane fly using its aerodynamics design that makes an air push their giant body up to the sky. But to do so, it need to gain some speed to start taking affect. With that to consider, i think only full smash swing that might takes affect to aerodynamics design. But net shot, drive, drop shot wont have any affect.

Little tips.
    Try to learn to shift your gripping position. At the front hold it closer to the cone & at the back, hold it at the end of the handle.
    The closer to the cone will give you more manouver & the further from the cone will give you power. But remember shifting your grip position will also shift your racket length so it might be ruin your timing at 1st before you are used to it.

7. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Exaclty what I wanted to tell
    Today, I tried a couple of rackets on each side of the heaviness spectrum, The ZFII, Ax88s, Arcsaber and my usual main racket, the Astrox77 4u.
    Let me tell you the difference, as the weight of the racket goes towards the head, there will be more "solidity" in you shots, but it will take some more effort to hit quick drives and shots
    As the weight of the racket goes towards the grip, the racket becomes faster but you have to trade the solid feel for the quick movements but according to resources, rackets like nf800 have solidity, power and speed.
    The arcsaber 11 and astrox 77 are very similar in my opinion, both are just above even balance with the Ax77 little bit more, both have good solid feel, the 77 is faster than the arc11 at movements.
    So, what would I suggest?
    stick with you ax77, there will be no other racket I think will make you exclusively better, spend money on training and not racket.
    Hope it helps

8. LuckyR

LuckyR New Member

Luckily I don't have to choose between rackets and coaching.
    I have a reputation for fast reflexes and good defense, but I seem a bit slow with the Ax77 and seem late. I know part of that is not being in proper defensive position to take smashes, but I also feel that I am using a racquet that helps my weakness (power) instead of my strength (speed and defense). Rather than going for something expensive NF700, I'm looking at giving the NF270 a shot.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

i dont think its a matter of luck or not.
    Its a choice & (pretty sure many would agree) between racket & coaching, the result you can get best are from coaching. Racket at most can only improve your skill 10% (that if you are skilled. Simple math 10% of 10 are just 1 & 10% of 100 are 10). But coaching could double your skill or even triple it.

Nihal likes this.
  10. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Ok
    If you are using the 3u Ax77 I understand, but the 4u Ax77, Its not all that head heavy, might be even considered just above even balance compared to the Arcsaber 11. Getting into the defensive position requires footwork skills not lighter racker, lighter racket might give you faster speed but lack of solidity, also I do not recommend getting the nf80lt, my friend just broke it yesterday with a simple clash with arc11.
    I understand that your strength is your fast reflexes but doesn't mean you should rely on your racket to get the shuttle past the net..
    Try any nf series but those will lack the solidity and power the astrox series bring.

Budi likes this.
  11. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

First , swing speed is the key to power. You could hand the most well known racket which most people say it enhances their smash strung at 32 lbs and still wont be able to smash hard. You need to understand that individual person have difference in their strength. You need to look for a racket that you could maximize your own swing speed and be able to bend the rackets shaft (flex or stiff depend on your strength). So, it could be whether nanoflare , or astrox series. It could be the mid range or high end.

BadmintonDave, Nihal and Simeon like this.
  12. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

Based on what you are writing I would recommend you try out the original 88S or the new 88D Pro. As they are more stiff they respond faster to your reflexes.
    I moved from the 77 to a 88S and loved the switch as it is a lot faster (but not as powerful) - the 88D Pro is slower but more powerfull imo.

Simeon and Nihal like this.
  13. Casperwinde

Casperwinde Regular Member

Student
    thanks for ur comprehensive review and eventually i get one 4ug5.