Review my doubles badminton game

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Luxtar23, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Luxtar23

Luxtar23 New Member

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone with some free time would mind giving me some pointers on what to focus and improve on in my doubles game. Any feedback is welcome as I'm just trying to get better.

I am playing on the side closest to the camera with the dark blue shirt and striped pants.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Learn from your friend wearing the puma shirt. Your serve and backhand can benefit from his advice.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

What advice do you think he is giving him?

4. Mason

Mason Regular Member

Ok I have watched your video a couple of times. I always watch my games back myself and try to see my glaring weakness and work in one or two things. In your case here is what I would works on
    1.) get closer to the net for the return of service. If I am not mistaken they didn’t flick serve you once, because they know you are not pressuring the net. Try to start a couple inches closer to the net on return of serve and get comfortable there. Make sure that your grip is very relaxed when returning the serve. As you get comfortable with being a bit closer , in a couple of weeks move a few inches closer than that. You will probably find that as you get closer it’s going to make your opponents more nervous, leading to more errors and also you’ll notice you will get a flick serve more often…

2.) the second is your backhand grip. It does not appear that you are using your thumb for return of serves, defense and drive. Badminton insight on you tube has a nice video on backhand grip that you might want to check out.

3.) last thing i see is when you play a drop or smash from your forehand rear corner you tend to wait to move after your shot. Because of this they push the shuttle to the backhand corner and you end up getting to it late. So every time you hit ( especially from the forehand rear court) you need to immediately move towards the center …. So you can think “ hit and move” … right now you are thinking “hit and wait “ , change that to “ hit and move “

hopefully these things help

5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Going to take a stab at this, will be useful for me as I am bored and also want to practice analyzing footage!

The TLDR however:
    1. Be more aggressive at net.
    2. Smash and keep moving afterwards.
    3. Don't rely on your backhand as much. I say outside of defense and a few drives, all of the shots you took on your backhand could've been done on forehand.

0:08 - your racket is quite low. For the first three shots, try to keep your racket net level. I like the expression of imagining it's like a life jacket - it can dip down but should always come back up.

This ties in well with my second point - of trying to take the shots on forehand. You def were biasing the straight really hard and were correct, but end up taking on the backhand anyways which resulted in you losing the point. I think if you had responded with a forehand shot this rally could've kept going.

2:52 is a good time where you take it on your forehand, but because you had your racket down the reply from you is not as good as it could've been. So is 3:24

I noticed at 00:52 you also back away from the net biasing the backhand. I think here if you had backed away more neutral you could've returned that drive at you (or possibly attacked it). The shot you return is quite loose but luckily not punished but something to keep in mind.

1:10 - your defense position should be more square instead of having your feet diagonal. Because of this when they attacked your backhand, it's awkward (especially for someone taller like yourself) and hard to produce energy or control with little space. Similar situation at 2:05 where they attack your backhand side and you have to really stretch out and get uncomfortable.

1:51 - you are just standing kind of watching the rally happen. Try to get into making a habit of still split stepping and anticipating a shot coming to you, it will help keep you mentally in that rally or maybe you can get the edge on a shot you can intercept or something like that.

2:02 - Could've take that on your forehand and not given that attack opportunity away. It's def easier to just pivot with your backhand, so I understand why you would want to do this but I see an overreliance on a backhand here and would say you should actively focus on not using it besides in defense or drives/kills.

4:32 is another example of this where the ball is right next to you but you go for a backhand lift instead of smashing down on your forehand.

2:30 - after a good smash, the likely return is always a soft block. I would've just started walking forward after you played that smash and killed it. Your partner should recognize this and rotate back to catch a lift so don't worry about that :)

2:47 - like others have said, you have a tendency to smash and then see what happens. Aim to start returning to the middle if you're in an attack situation, or move forward if you want to rotate to the front/think this is a good opportunity to kill.

6:01 - have more confidence and assertion at the net. You see that the opponent is taking shuttle below net so they can only net or lift. If you had your racket at net this would've been an easy kill.

6:37 - If they catch you off guard like this and you're forced to take shuttle late and lift, I would suggest to always cross lift. Your partner is likely more balanced and prepared to take a smash. Plus the cross lift will give you more time to get ready yourself. Also a cross smash is slower than a straight so that helps you out too.