Results for Quarter-Finals 19th Nov

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2004' started by labyrinthian, Nov 19, 2004.

1. labyrinthian

labyrinthian Regular Member

I just came back from the Singapore Indoor Stadium, went there to watch Gade's and Bao's match.

Well, Gade lost! It's such a pity... :( The score is 5-15, 13-15. Gade had a very good chance to win the second set, because he managed to come back and tie the game at 12-12 after lagging behind. But, at this moment, Gade got a foul from the empire, (not sure what's the reason) and he was quite angry with the empire's decision. But the point still went to Lee Chong Wei, and it's now 12-13. After this, Lee Chong Wei went on to clinch another point, reaching 12-14. But Lee lost the service over here and Gade managed to get another point, closing the gap to 13-14. At this moment, everyone was cheering very loudly for Gade, hoping that he can win this set! BUt in the end, Lee Chong Wei still managed to reach his 15 points and Gade is out.

As for Bao's match, it's not as exciting, probably because from what I see, Bao is playing much better than his opponent, Kuan Beng Hong. The score is 8-15, 5-15. :D Throughout this match, Bao was leading the score most of the time, and he could handle most of Kuan's smashes pretty well. Bao's net play was good today! From what I remember, in the first set, Bao was leading at 12-8. At this point, Kuan gave a hard smash from his side to Bao's backhand. Bao almost fell to the ground to save the shuttle and the shuttle just went slightly over the net, toppling down at Kuan's side. There was nothing Kuan could do. After that, Bao went on to win this set at 15-8. I wasn't focusing much on the later half of the first set, cos Gade's match on the other side was so exciting that my eyes couldn't help but focus on them instead. :p

For the second set, Bao got the first point and after returning the shuttle to Kuan's side, Kuan was about to give another hard smash. But at this moment, Kuan missed the shuttle!! Sounds of disappointment immediately came from the Malaysian supporters. After that, Bao managed to widen the score gap. At 13-5, Kuan gave a clever net shot which Bao didnt anticipate, but Bao with his long limbs, :p still managed to stretch all the way to the net, lifting the shuttle lightly over the net back to Kuan's side. And Kuan, who didn't anticipate that Bao was able to pick up that one, simply had no time to react and had to see the shuttle drop onto his own court.

Overall, Bao did quite ok, hopefully he will be able to overcome Lee Chong Wei tmr... But after seeing Lee Chong Wei play, he reminds me a little of Lin Dan. He's fast and aggressive, just like Lin Dan... But if nothing goes wrong (I hope so), Bao should be able to make it into the finals! :p

When I left the stadium, Yang Wei and Zhang Jie Wen was playing against the Korean pair, Lee Kyung Won and Lee Hyo Jung. Their score is 13-15, 17-14, 15-1, Yang/Zhang won the game!

2. a3olus

a3olus Regular Member

Gade nevers seems to win against Chong Wei recently...so sad...:crying: yeah...disputable decisions by the umpire can really throw you off focus...had that before...sigh

3. labyrinthian

Hashim won the first set...

Hashim won the first set, 15-13.

4. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hashim is doing great this time around...

5. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

wow, Hafiz leading 10-2 in the second set... I was hoping Chen Hong could defend his title again this year...:crying:

6. ants

ants Regular Member

I dont think Chen Hong will have chance with the ON FIRE HASHIM.

7. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    OH MY GOSH!!! chen hong lost to hafiz 13-15, 3-15

SHOCKING! SHOCKING! CHOKINGLY SHOCKING!

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Hashim is back on form from the slump after his ALL ENGLAND win.

9. a3olus

a3olus Regular Member

Go Hafiz...pity gade didn't make it thru tho...would have been an exciting encounter...gade-hafiz...

10. *izzyC*

*izzyC* Regular Member

He really takes his sweet time...:D
    Misbun said that Hafiz is a very talented player but he needs special attention from the coach...

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Well its never too late. I hope next year will be a good year for Hafiz.

12. labyrinthian

Okie.. this is just so shocking... I can't believe that Chen Hong is down...

13. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Total Ownage. 15 - 13, 15 - 3. That was total ownage. I expected Hafiz to win after he won the first set but not like that!! 15 - 3 in the second set.

mmm.

Wonders whether he can pull off the Lin Dan consistency [​IMG]

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Msian Mixed doubles KOO/PTY won over recent China Open Champs.. good for the Msians.

15. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    hmmmm hard to said
    IF hafiz perform well then MAY BE he will beat lin dan!!!
    Looking forward to this match!!!

16. Lobber

Lobber Regular Member

oh man!!!two upset in a day.
    now,im looking foward to hafiz vs Jonassen

Also,tine is out today.
    guess who will win(PI or ZN?)

17. ants

ants Regular Member

The Msians Mens Doubles is in the semis finals! wow!

Singles , MxD and Doubles is in the Semis! I hope all of them go to the Finals

18. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    I don't find it shocking at all. In fact, as mentioned before, Hafiz has a favourable head-to-head result against Chen Hong! Remember Hafiz's All England title?? He beat Chen Hong for it!! Way to go..woops, should not praise him too fast because most Malaysians always/most of the time ;) lose finally...either in the finals, or the next round. The same goes to the Malaysian WD pair who defeated Wei Yili - Zhao Tingting but failed to get past the Thai pair. I was thinking that they could have beaten the Thai pair, but I guess maybe Wong Pei Tty might be a lil tired...since she played for over 80 minutes yesterday as well as playing in long matches in the MXD.

Anyway, we'll just see how far Hafiz can go. ;)

19. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Awards of the day:

The comeback of the day, no, century: Yang/Zhang bt Lee/Lee (Lees won close 1st set and led something like 12-0 in the second)

The weakest leg of the day: Ng Wei who had two tough matches the day before, simply don't have the legs to bother Kenneth

The disappointing performance of the day: Chin/Wong who cannot repeat the performance against Wei/Zhao but the Thai girls did play very well

Mismatches of the day: Bao bt hapless Kuan, Yao bt hapless Xing

Closest fight of the day: Pi bt Rasmussen barely

Man of the day: Koo Kien Kit who qualified for two semifinals

Pair of the day: Robertson/Emms

20. chicteenager

chicteenager Regular Member

Student
    It's so nice to see Hafiz back in action. Of course, there is nothing so shocking about his win over Chen Hong. Chen Hong has not been performing well recently and Hafiz is just on fire. Also, I think Chong Wei has become a much more matured player and it is not surprising at all for him to beat Peter Gade. What is so upsetting about this?:p