Response to VERY HIGH baseline lift (doubles)?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by WalkerLena, Jan 16, 2021.

1. WalkerLena

WalkerLena New Member

know professional players usually do a full jump smash regardless of whether that smash will be a winning smash or not, but can someone tell me any 'lazy' alternatives to do when your opponent keeps lifting very high to the baseline?
    E.g. I was tired after many energy-consuming rallies and couldn't muster energy for a jump smash today, so what else can I do?Tweakbox

#1 WalkerLena, Jan 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  2. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

Put pressure on them with drops and smashes (they don't have to be jump smashes), focus on placement rather than power and wait for them to give a worse lift. You can mix in an attacking clear if you see a gap in their positioning. And if you're completely exhausted, or you really can't get the shuttle on the floor, play a high clear and ask your opponent to prove that they can score the point.

I played a very instructive game when I was still a teenager. We were young and fast, but lacked some adult power in our shots. We had to play a very experienced middle aged doubles pair. In the first, we play our normal game. Fast attacking play, but we couldn't get in on the floor and all they did was defend until we made a mistake. The opponent wasn't doing anything. We were moving around like crazy to attack them, and they were basically standing still and defending our smashes, sometimes lunging to get a drop shot, but that's it.

We felt that we were the better players, we were faster, we had the better technique and better footwork, but we lost because we didn't challenge them in any of these areas. In the second, we figured that if attacking didn't work, we would play it like a singles game and just play the corners. Without the pressure of wanting to get the shuttle on the floor, we could play the rally basically forever, and our older opponents couldn't. So now they carried the pressure of having to score points, to avoid long rallies, and they started making mistakes. We won the second with a safe margin and the third was almost a walk over due to our opponents fatigue.

Note that this wouldn't have been possible if the opponent had a smash that could threaten our defense, but they didn't.

This is similar to what endo/watanabe sometimes does to sukamuljo/gideon.

3. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I don't know if this is a good idea but an idea, you could do a good clear back. If he realises it's not getting him anywhere then he might stop doing it. But if he sees it's frustrating you,then he may favour that shot. Clearing it back would be better than a weak attack. Another idea, though maybe not a good one, but If you want lazy and want them to leave you alone then how about a good cross court clear then the next shot might more likely he to your partner and they might leave you alone?!

4. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello

If im tired then I either put a drop to middle or clear to the middle, I quickly check to see the position of the opponents and then decide (a high clear gives enough time).

If the opponent has a strong smash then I play my shot towards the weaker player. A flat drive towards the sidelines is also an option but be ready for a quick return.

Cheers.

Woesi likes this.
  5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member