Response to VERY HIGH baseline lift (doubles)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Abdullah Ahmad AAK, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Abdullah Ahmad AAK

Abdullah Ahmad AAK Regular Member

I know professional players usually do a full jump smash regardless of whether that smash will be a winning smash or not, but can someone tell me any 'lazy' alternatives to do when your opponent keeps lifting very high to the baseline?

E.g. I was tired after many energy-consuming rallies and couldn't muster energy for a jump smash today, so what else can I do?

2. intrepid

intrepid Regular Member

Here is a video by Gronya Somerville where she explains the shots from different zones:

If you have to hit from what she calls the "red zone" -> don't go for the full smash, as it arrives at your opponents side quite slow and leaves you exhausted and vulnerable.

So be a bit patient and play half smash and drop shots until they either go into the netplay (your partner should handle that) or lift too short, so that you can hit hard again.

Those shots should be placed mostly to the center to cause confusion, or longline (slice) to move them a little. Always play low and fast enough so that the opponents cannot attack it (dead zone). A sliced fast cross drop / smash (targeted to the cross on the side) can also work sometimes when the cross opponent is standing almost in the middle of the court.

Drop shots also have the advantage that you may draw your opponents closer to the net which gives them less time to defend your full smash when it comes, or gives opportunity for an attacking clear.

trickshot_artist and missclicked like this.