Repulsion

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Maratox, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Maratox

Maratox New Member

Yonex rates strings based on (atleast one of the things they rate) is repulsion. For example the bg80P has more repulsion than bg65. They say that the 80P is mean for hard hitters.

My question is, does the extra repulsion only help when hitting hard or does it also make ''softer'' strokes harder, so add more power to any hit?

2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

It depend on the tension you use to. As long the shuttle force are enough to bend the string, it will bounce back the shuttle with added force.
    So its not about what shot you use to makes it repulsive but how much force to activate the bouncy effect.
    Thinner string are easier to bounce & so does with lower tension.

3. Maratox

Maratox New Member

Thanks, got a bit confused because they market it for hard hitters, but actually it can be really helpful for weak hitters to help them out.

4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

A repulsive force is a repellent force.

For a string, it's harder to define, but I'll go with
    This means, there less time to transfer momentum from the racket to the shuttle.

When hitting hard, the stringbed and shuttle are deformed more, giving more time for transferring momentum. A less repulsive string might hold the shuttle too long (I hate that feeling!).... Since the speed of the racket is not constant, the complexity of the motion, and some other factors, there is an optimal time for each player. The tension also is a factor, obviously, but it has some other side effects again.

This is a post trying to paint a picture in your head, not doing real physics, please keep that in mind! For a good physical definition of a repulsive string, we'd probably have to dig quite deep before even starting to calculate anything. I think the picture is more helpful here.

Dlee likes this.
  5. Maratox

Maratox New Member

So repulsive string makes the shuttle bounce of quicker and could take away power because it shortens the time to transfer momentum.

6. speCulatius

Yes. COULD. On the other hand, the question will be how the repulsion is achieved. That can be by more efficient power transfer. Then you don't really lose anything. Since that easier to achieve with thinner strings, you'll probably lose durability.... so not nothing, but no power.

I can only recommend to try different strings until you find one you like. Don't mistake repulsion as a synonym for power though. On average, thinner strings will be more repulsive without losing power. Maybe even gaining power due to more elasticity without feeling mushy. Same force on a smaller diameter -> more force per area... but I'm starting to get into physics.

My main point is that whatever marketing people say about repulsion for strings is just... kinda useless. It's marketing bs, like you can see when strings score an 11 on a scale of 10.

When you've found your string, adjust the tension to as high as you need, but as low as you can accept.
    On a last note: I've tested quite a few strings and my verdict is that the performance between different strings is very, very similar. The biggest difference is how they feel. There is differences, sure, but not as big as marketing people want you to believe. Finding your tension for a specific string on a specific racket is more important, in my opinion. Just from a performance standpoint. From a feel standpoint, there's huge differences. The beauty about finding a string is that it's easy and cheap to change.. and mostly money you'd spend anyway. Just have a look at my rackets that I currently use for competitions:
    PSX_20201016_135701.jpg
    All different strings, very different, but I can switch between them within a competition without losing much, while I was not able to switch from one racket to the same one in a lighter weight category in the past.

thyrif likes this.
  7. Maratox

Maratox New Member

Im using the 80p at 10.5 kg, i love it but after about a month or 2 i notice a clear lack of power.

8. speCulatius

Well, depending on how much you play and how many rackets you have to rotate, 2 months seem like a long time.

I'm not a big fan of BG80 Power, but I remember it to be playable for quite long. Within 2 month, I need to restring at least 3 of my rackets.

For the next stringjob with BG80P, you could ask for prestretch OR go up ½ a kilo. Or you think about trying other strings...

NBG99 might be an alternative by Yonex that you can try, I don't know if it's better in that regard. Then Adidas Spieler E68 looses some playability at the beginning, but then stays fine for quite a while. It's very similar to NBG99.
    If you're thinking about thinner strings, I've heard great things about Li Ning No.1, I just tried it once and didn't understand the hype, but the consensus is that it stays playable for quite a long time. And I was really impressed by Adidas Überschall F66, which (for me) stayed playable until it snapped. Gosen G-Tone 5 comes to mind, too, but it does lose playability over time, too...

If you play at least 2 hours/week, I think that 2 months of payability is a lot for every string though and BG80P is not known for losing playability quickly.