Replacing My Yonex Voltric 70...

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by MidCourtMediocrity, Aug 10, 2021.

1. MidCourtMediocrity

MidCourtMediocrity Regular Member

After 6 years of playing with this racquet, it's finally time a replacement is gathered. It's been a loyal servant but its time is coming to an end with a crack in its frame. I'm looking for a very similar racquet in terms of feel as I love how well rounded the racquet is (but also just slightly hard hitting) but also an improvement rather than keeping things the same.

I'm also a huge Yonex fanboy so I'll probably stay within their range. My V70 is a 4U

From my initial research I've found two that sound appropriate as replacement:
    • Astrox 77 3U
    • Astrox 100zz 4U
    I feel the Astrox is the natural step up and I quite like the feel of a medium flex racquet but I'm also keen for a big upgrade too, hence the Astrox 100zz. What I'd like to know is for people who have played with both, how does the head heaviness compare to a Voltric 70 and how is the flex on a 100zz? I'm quite comfortable playing with a Z force 2 although that level of stiffness probably is slightly more than I'd like and I'm wondering is the 100zz has equal amounts of 'extra stiffness' to its shaft.

Thanks! Please feel free to input any other opinions below as well.

2. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Astrox 77 is definitely the closest thing to the ol Voltric 70. Head heaviness is about the same, but the swing is slightly different due to that rotational system thing. I like it. The 100ZZ is a great racquet but imo feels nothing like the 77 and V70. Stiffness is similar to the ZFII but it bends differently. Certainly a unique feeling.
    Tldr, get the AX77 if you want a V70 upgrade, get the 100ZZ if you want something completely different.

MidCourtMediocrity likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

I think the 4U 100ZX would be more similar to your VT 70.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

4. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    I would vouch for the Astrox 77. As an all-round player, I have one myself (surprised myself getting a 3UG4 UK coded one :eek:). It's faster than I thought it would be for a head-heavy racket. Plays well in the front and back of the court. Not head-heavy enough to break your arm of course ;). Might be on sale compared to the newer Astrox rackets depending where you're from.

5. jctai

jctai Regular Member

Why not a 4U AX88D (not the newer pro)? It's certainly not as stiff as ZF2 and easier to borrow its head weight than AX77/100 to generate power. And it's not stupidly head heavy like the AX99. More inline with your requirement from VT70 IMO.