Replacing feathers with plastic mesh skirt

Discussion in 'Shuttlecock' started by Angts, Nov 4, 2021.

1. Angts

Angts New Member

• [​IMG]
    • Just tried cutting off feathers from shuttlecock and sewing a plastic skirt from my eco-friendly bag. Shuttlecock ends up slightly heavier.(5.2 or 5.3g instead of original 5.0g).Take slightly longer to turn around and stabilise it's flight when hit. Fly slightly faster and further than feather shuttlecock. Can use for about 30minutes before cotton threads break. The idea is to prolong the usage of shuttlecock rather than throwing them away. Any comments folks?

Ballschubser and kwun like this.
  2. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Very neat idea, and props to you for trying to upcycle old shuttles. I just don't see myself going through the hassle of doing it.

3. skittlesbado

skittlesbado Regular Member

You might want to consider giving Nylon shuttles a try
    There is a lot of prejudice against them, but they aren't so bad at all.
    The differences I've noticed with them is, that they feel a little "dull", they don't turn around as quickly as feather shuttles, which is the same issue you described with your DIY shuttlecocks.
    You notice this e.g. when you play net spin shots.
    Most club players like myself will use worn shuttles for training and use new ones for training matches, but Nylon shuttles are completely fine for hobbyists or occasional players.
    You could also look into Hybrid shuttles like the Forza Hybrid 5000, they generally tend to hold a lot longer compared to conventional feather shuttles like the victor service or AS-10
    Generally, I still think this is a good idea, and if it works for you, I'd say it's a great alternative ;)
    (wow, out here typing an entire essay on this topic o_O)

4. John Xina

John Xina Regular Member

Hybrid shuttles are dope. I'll always advocate for them.

5. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Cool idea, the issue will be , that there's most likely no rotation involved. Rotation of a shuttle is very important and enables players to play more advanced shots (slicing, tumbling,spinning). The same reason many prefare feather over plastic. Plastic shuttle are so constructed, that they rotate too, thought not as much as feather. If budget is an issue, I would test out plastic shuttles, they last out much longer.

Juniors will either get the used shuttles from the seniors or plastic shuttle in many clubs. Many, not all, will lake the necessary hit quaitly to let a new feather shuttle survive long enough, nor did they benefit from using stronger rotation (sliced shots). But if you want to advance in your skill set, feather shuttles are mandatory due to their flight characteristics.

skittlesbado likes this.