Replacement for Yonex Ti-10 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by mcchooi, Sep 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

For the old timers here that are familiar with the Ti-10, or perhaps have used it, what did you go on to after this racquet?

I've loved it for years but as it had been discontinued, I have been using the AX88S for 9 months now. Whilst it took me a while to get use to it, got used to it I did. I recently had to restring both the AX88S at the same time and had to use my one remaining Ti-10. Boy did that feel good. This makes me think that perhaps AX88S is not quite the right racquet for me.

So this begs the question: What is the best like-to-like replacement for a Yonex Ti-10 3rd Gen? (3UG5)

2. llrr

llrr Regular Member

The question is, is there one? Sometimes there is no racquet that truly feels similar to a previous gen racquet. For example, zf2. What feels similar to zf2? Nothing. Look after your Ti-10! :)

mcchooi and xzavire like this.
  3. xzavire

xzavire Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree with llrr here. There’s something that’s shifted in both the material and design of the modern rackets. Modern rackets pride themselves on speed and resilience. The newer flagship rackets are mostly quick rackets that can take 30+ lbs of tension. This is in response to the faster paced game with more flat exchanges. The Ti-10 thrives in an era of artillery attacks from the back followed by quick punishment in the front for any mis-lifts.

For the average “Joe” playing in recreation games I suspect the game hasn’t changed much, especially if you’ve been playing with the same group and aged at the same pace (like I have). Therefore the old “feel” is something that we want back sometime. However, there isn’t a really big market for that kind of racket anymore. Sadly there’s no real replacement. We have to adjust our game and adopt new tools. I definitely wouldn’t want to get into a driving match with my Ti-10 against these youngsters with their AS90s.

If you really like the Ti-10, cherish and protect it. As for myself, after playing with 3 generations of Ti-10s over 10 years, I’m balancing between Arc-10, Arc-11 and TC75. Depending on the how I feel on the day each of these let’s me feel “close enough” while still managing to keep to the modern game. I’ve tried others but didn’t quite adopt. Good luck with your search and let us know what you find.

mcchooi likes this.
  4. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

Thank you both for your input. I can understand that the replacement will not be exactly like the Ti-10 (3rd Gen). I am merely saying my shift to AX88S was too big a difference - the latter is more head heavy and has a 5mm shorter shaft. I got used to this but I guess I'm not quite loving the feel of this racquet compared to the Ti-10, and I didn't realise this until my recent reunion with my Ti-10.

I have tried to get hold of more new or used Ti-10s but have not been successful. Having just one sole Ti-10 has brought me to ask in the forum for a recommendation that will hopefully find me a model that makes a good replacement.

What racquets have you guys found similar to the Ti-10? AX100ZZ/X and NR900 are on my radar but it is always a gamble to get one to later find it's not the one!

5. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

I’ve had Ti-10 3:rd and and then went to NR900. The step to NR900 was totally fine with both some advantages and disadvantages. NR900 maybe not will give you the same rocksolid power feeling when you smashing 100%, but it gives you better overall faster handling in the game...so I would say that NR900 is pretty close to Ti-10 but a bit stiffer.

6. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

Thank you for sharing your experience. This does confirm my worry that the NR900 may not be quite suitable - I have always been more of a back court player, although I am slowly adapting my game to let the youngsters do all the hard work at the back :D

I'll do more research on the AX100 thread to find out a little bit more about it.

7. mizutani_jun

mizutani_jun New Member

correct me if i am mistaken but you are Malaysian that currently living in UK right? I see from time to time people selling used Ti10 here in Malaysia. You can try search here. I remember you said that TI10 frame can't handle high tension so you changed to AX88s right? As someone also used Ti10 i can say nothing feel the same.

8. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

You can try with mybadmintonstore.com, but they are bloody expensive now. 295$

9. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

Wow. As much as I love the Ti-10, USD295 is a little too much! Plus they don't have the racquet in G5 :(

10. mcchooi

mcchooi Regular Member

Thank you Mizutani - I'll have a look at the "For Sale" forums to see if I can find them there. I can potentially get my brother to get them from Malaysia if they are available.