Replacement for Babolat Satelite Blast 2017

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Zbyszek, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Zbyszek

Zbyszek New Member

Hi, my present racket (Babolat Satelite Blast 2017) is currently unavailable and new models are completely different in feeling and properties, so I’m looking for replacement. My demands/expectations:

1. Slim shaft (6,5mm or so) – most important
    2. Isometric head
    3. Head heavy but not extremely head heavy (295-300mm)
    4. Stiff shaft, but not extremely stiff

I gave a tray ZF2 but it is too heavy and difficult to operate. I need something faster and easier to play but still with the decent smash.

Can anybody help to find proper racket? I would be grateful.

2. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    I would recommend the Astrox 77. It fits "most" of the demands you want. All-round head-heavy racket that doesn't break your arm like the Voltric Z Force 2 ;). Doesn't break your budget than newer Yonex racket since it's been out for years now. Do expect the feeling and properties will be different as its not Babolat.

3. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

On Paper, the 2015, 2017, and 2019 versions are the same. There was quite a big difference between rackets weight wise, though, but that is comparing 2015 to 2015. If I remember correctly, 2017 was the same to 2015, not only on paper, so I have my doubts about them being totally different. Did you try them with the same string? Do you have a chance to try another one? What was different?

4. Zbyszek

Zbyszek New Member

Hi, Thx for hint! Astrox 77 looks interesting. I wonder how medium stiff racket works while playing. Price is not that good I expected (I dislike Yonex for its monopoly price practics), but maybe its good value for money, I will see. Thanks!!

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  5. Zbyszek

Zbyszek New Member

Hi, I gave a try for newest model 2020/2021 - it's definitely more head heavy and it has oval head. I also find the same model I have got, but I turned out it has also oval head (!!). The same painting, the same model - different head and feeling. Hardly to believe. So i gave up, and started looking for new brand and racket.
    Maybe its about this specific racket (Babolat Satelite Blast TJ 2017) and not model, may it be this 'TJ' means something, I don't know.
    I play more than 6 years on medium level so I can see even small diffrences.
    Thanks for help anyway!

6. speCulatius

Did you maybe try the Babolat X-FEEL Blast? It's a very different racket. Compact, oval head, thicker, much, much, much stiffer shaft...

The Satelite rackets do not have a (compact and) oval head.

If you're interested in the AX77, don't worry about the mid stiff rating, the Satelite Blast isn't that stiff either.

7. Zbyszek

Zbyszek New Member

YES, I tried X-FEEL Blast, but it is worse for my style of playing than even ZF2. Hard and heavy rocket, needs a lot of power in hand. My game it is mostly clears, drops, trick shots, net play and if possible quick smash. My power is generated rather by speed than strength.

Satelitte have an oval head ;), I can attach a picture.

8. speCulatius

That's just plain wrong. Clearly flat at the top, aka Isometric head shape:
    601316-SateliteBlast-104-1-face.png
    For comparison, the X-FEEL Blast:

601339-XFEEL_BLAST_STRUNG-104-1-Face.png
    If you like the Satelite and want something like it, just get another one. Don't get the X-FEEL instead, it's totally different. The X-FEEL Blast is the stiffest racket I've ever tried. The Satelite Blast is much easier in many ways. It's Comparing a NF700 to a ZFII, just because they're both Yonex rackets.

And yes, the Satelite is available, it may just be sold out at the moment where you're at. I'm sure bsl24 or some other store that has it in stock can ship to Poland.

If you want something different, you can give the AX77 a try.

9. Zbyszek

Zbyszek New Member

Look at the photo - on the left is racket form 2017, on the rigth 2021 model. Completly different head, and properities. Model 2021 is similar to ZF2 (hammer), whereas model 2017 is closer to all round racket.
    Today I was playing with AX77 - not that bad racket, but it has normal/thick shaft so it cuts the air more slower and is less agile than slim one. Anybody who played slim shaft racket never will downgrade to normal one. So I'm looking for something else...

Attached Files:

10. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    Very good you tested the Astrox 77. At least you know it is not the one!

11. speCulatius

The left is the 2015 version that I played. The stringer put way too much tension on the cross strings. That's not the racket's fault. It's not supposed to look like that. On paper the 2019 version (not 2021, although it's still the most recent one) is the same. The 2017 version (much brighter color, still the orange highlights) is the same to the 2015. Also looks like the 2019 version still has the factory strings and they're really bad on Babolat rackets. I strongly suggest to get both restrung by somebody who knows what he's doing (not the one who strung the left racket) Or try a different 2019 racket, it might be closer to your 2015 one. Babolat sometimes has some quite significant weight/head weight differences. Or try the Satelite Essential/Power. Or go to a different brand.
    Don't generalize. I loved the shaft of the X-FEEL Blast (fat 7.0 mm), that racket had other issues though.... but there's just no way to get that stiffness with a slim shaft.

12. Zbyszek

Zbyszek New Member

There are a big mess in this models and years of production. To make it more simple:
    on the left is 2015 model (my absolutely nr 1) - I had the same model but with different head (I rejected it)
    on the right is 2019 model - I dont like it either -so probably i'am going to sell it
    there is also 2017 model (brighter colours) - and may it be the best solution for me. I see there are still some ones to buy

As to strings - left racket - strings are ready to be replaced, that's why they are so slack. 2019 model still has original strings.

Thx for help to clarify this mess with models! my first choice is to give a try to 2017 model, then eventually look for other brand.