removing original grip/apply how many grip layers help.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by joseph, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    I don't see a reason why you can't add 2 overgrips over the wood, go ahead.

Go to some stores to buy grips, don't buy online as it would be more expensive for shipping. I recommend yonex overgrap. They sell for under $10 for a pack of 3.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    An interesting question....how to put 2 overgrips under the wood?
    Anybody tried this? :confused:

3. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    Hey Cheung what grips do you use on your racket?;)

4. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Well, I'm pretty sure that was a typo, lol. In any case, I took off my original grip on my AT700 and put 2 Wilson Perforated overgrips over it. I then put a yonex super grap over that. It feels good, haven't tested it yet.

5. Sgt. Shibby

Sgt. Shibby New Member

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but this is exactly what I was looking for! I joined up to ask this questions and get help all around so we'll see how it works out. Anyway, I got a new grip and I'm having a lot of trouble applying it. I read article by kwun on this site and can't seem to get the wrap to start off. It keeps bunching up and pinching in when I try to start the move up the handle.

Also, it was recommended that I go up to the top of the cone. That has the same problems with bunching, of course. Is the bunch unavoidable or is there some other slick way to do it?

6. Shimotakimas

Shimotakimas Regular Member

Yonex grip

Hi. Is it advisable to take off the original yonex grip off my armortex 800DEF? I want to put a towel grip on but with the original yonex grip, its way too thick........Does anybody else take the original grip off?

7. cgote16

cgote16 Regular Member

student/ breeder
    I personly like to take the original grip off, because it feels more comfortable. But I also like a thiner grip then most people. I suggest trying the towel grip without the original grip under. :cool:

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It is advisable to take the original grip off if you think it will be to thick for you. I take off the original grips from the rackets.

9. SandeepD

SandeepD Regular Member

Is there any problem using the original grip on its own until it starts to wear out, and then putting an overgrip on top? Or if the original has worn down is it then advisable to take it off completely and use a replacement grip?

I would prefer to leave the original grip as it is until it gets in bad condition, since I've never wrapped an overgrip or replacement grip before and wouldn't want to risk doing it wrong when there is a perfectly useable grip in the first place. I have read some posts saying that you should never let the original grip get worn down - not sure why this is though.

10. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

I wouldn't recommend cling film as it slips leaving gaps in the grip.

11. other

other Regular Member

Student
    high quality stretchy and "sticky" cling film is usually ok...i tried the cheap sainsburys one and that failed miserably....:eek:

12. SandeepD

SandeepD Regular Member

So are you guys recommending that something be done from when you first get the racquet (i.e. overgrip or replacement grip), or can the original grip just be used till it gets worn down?

13. shawn30_k

shawn30_k Regular Member

student
    yup.if you are a competitive player and play weekly,its a must to tear away the original grip and change to another grip that is more comfortable.for me i will tear off the first original grip and put on 1 layer of masking tape before putting on a sticky grip (the grip is 1 of our local brand because it is cheaper) which can last me for around 2 months.

14. other

other Regular Member

Student
    unless you are blessed with a racquet that has a grip exactly suitable (size and feeling) for you, its better to adapt it to make it better for u personally. many people regrip becuase the original grip is too small/big or not sticky enough, or prefer a towel grip. however, sometimes the original grip is suitable so its fine to play with that one.

15. SandeepD

SandeepD Regular Member

OK, thanks for the advice. Once my new racquet arrives I'll use it for a few games and see how the grip feels. I haven't been particularly fussy about it in the past though - the racquet it is replacing has had parts of the wood handle showing for the last year. :)

16. other

other Regular Member

Student
    better check your hand for splinters....:D

if u have another grip handy, take it with u (and scissors) and put it on during ur badminton instead of after a session.

17. SandeepD

SandeepD Regular Member

No splinters, but the main patch of wood is where my thumb slides between forehand and backhand grips. If I have a particular long/intensive session the side of my thumb does get rubbed raw :(

Actually, now I'm thinking that I may as well get a new grip for the old racquet so that I can practice before trying to put a grip on the new one (if and when it needs the grip).

18. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

Overgrip to replace original grip?

Here's my problem: after using an overgrip for 2 weeks, my AT500 starts to feel too heavy...probably because the overgrip absorbs the sweat(my hand sweats a lot, and the overgrip absorbs sweat very well). The overgrip was applied on top of a layer of plastic food wrap on top of the original grip.

Should I remove the original grip, and just use overgrip right on the wood? That will help with the weight problem, but then the overgrip won't be thick enough. I could use 2 overgrips, but is that going to weigh more than the original grip? I actually like the AT500's swing weight with the original grip without any overgrips. In fact, I would much rather decrease the weight than increase weight..

By the way, my grip is size G5, and is actually the right size for my hand.

Anyone know of much the original grip and the overgrip weigh?

19. aL_vin

aL_vin Regular Member

Hi. I have a question. I'm currently using an Armortec 800 DE, 4U G4. I really like the feel and touch of using the original Yonex grip on it. But now, it is getting worn out. Is the Yonex original grip "thin"? Which replacement grip should I get/use when I take the original grip off?

Thanks

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You should strip away the original grip and any leftover sticky glue on the wooden handle. Then use a thin replacement grip and make sure you overlap the grip just a little and definitely not over 1/3 the width of the grip. This way, you don't end up with a round grip or with any extra weight over the original grip.