removing original grip/apply how many grip layers help.

Discussion in 'Grip' started by joseph, Aug 28, 2001.

1. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Nothing is really evil. But first, lets go with the fundamentals. A grip is a grip; if a grip gets old or is not of the right size, you then replace with another grip that comes as close as to what you are looking for. If you use a shrink wrap, which prevents moisture from penetrating the original grip, you are adding additional weight. On top of this you are adding an overgrip, which can weigh anything from 6gm to 10gm. Nothing wrong with this solution to adding bulk to a small grip. There are many approaches, but the ones that add the least additional weight are more desirable. The real danger is to bulk up a G5 grip to a G2 or G3: how do you do it without adding 10gm or more?
    Be fussy when you buy a new racquet. Insist on the right weight and the right grip size, and you will not be saddled with unforseen problems that will crop up later. Personally, I don't use an overgrip. It is replacement grip everytime, with varying thickness and weight for a close fit. I do not go beyond the 4gm rule-any replacement grip must not add more than 4gm. Also, I always recommend to friends who use overgrips to change to replacement grips, which almost always result in some weight reduction:D

2. chickenpoodle

chickenpoodle Regular Member

however, that doesn't work for people like me, if the user likes to wrap grip up and past the cone.
    plus, i just like the feel of the overgrip. yonex in my case. i don't feel quite as comfortable without it.

the only original grip i've liked was this fleet one my friend had. felt pretty good!

3. HappyOne

HappyOne Regular Member

triple layering the grip ...

i recently bought my muscle power 30 and the grip that came with it was really good. but the problem was i got a blister from playing with it >.< so i decided to overgrip it and so theres like 2 layers of grip on it right now. and it feels the same as before so i wanted to triple layer it.... would it be a bad idea ? lol im a total newb =D

4. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    That's no problem, overgrips are used very commonly.

You might want to find some thicker grips. 3 layers of grips is a lot of work :)

5. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Hey I have a Mp30 too =)

Err that's the difference between taking off the original grip and wrap the new one and overlapping the old grip with the new one?

The difference is the... thickness?

6. HappyOne

HappyOne Regular Member

well i didnt know .. i just bought watever the man had to offer. but how could i tell if the grips are thicker ? so theres nothing wrong with gripping your racket 3 times right =]

7. gkwok

gkwok Regular Member

Project Manager
    :) I'm not the only one!

For years I've played with more than one grip on top of the the original grip, gripped on my racquet.

I still use the 2 relics that I have; a Cab20 and Cab20sp, both are 2u 4g. After gripping them with 2 extra layers of grip, I found it to be more comfortable and playable. 3 extra layers of grip was usually too much.

btw, I've tried, removing the original grip, and gave up after the first time I did it. It's not a pretty sight, and not that easy if I recall correctly. Certainly not worth the effort. I would keep the original grip, and put the new grip directly over it. Also, I've used thin grips, thicker grips, padded grips, and I never was brave enough to try those fuzzy grips, but my choice is the normal (if you can call it normal) black, feels like rubber, probably only 1 or 2 mm thick grip that is absorbant, and has good tack (ie. similiar to how how a RED rubber band) feels as my choice of grip.

Plus: I've even peeled off the top layer of grip, to expose a fresh grip underneath during matches. Takes seconds just to unravel it.

#47 gkwok, Mar 12, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  8. Ultra-

Ultra- Regular Member

Applying grip help.

I have a brand new kakaral pu grip that I have no idea how to apply to handle. One end is full widthed, the other narrows down. Which side do I use first? Also, am I suppose to remove my old grip before applying this one?

Thanks

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Narrow one first cuz you have to wrap around the handle at an angle to cover the whole thing. Your PU grip must be really thick, so it's a replacement grip. If it has adhesive on it, you have to remove the old grip before putting on the new one.

10. Ultra-

Ultra- Regular Member

Ah, I see. Many thanks!

11. HoustonRockets

HoustonRockets Regular Member

I suggest you put two grips on the handle....

it might give you a better feel....try it

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    This is hard to say, as ppl's hand are different. If a grip is way too big to have good control, then... ;)

13. chickenpoodle

also depends on how the person likes the racquet, right?
    some people play with wood.
    some play with 1 over grip.
    some play with 1 undergrip.
    some play with undergrip and overgrip.
    then theres the people who pile on grips until its not only G1, but maybe G0 or G-1. haha

14. SWC_Ant

SWC_Ant Regular Member

Student
    i haven't seen anyone play with wood grip :rolleyes: lol
    i find a lot of beginners use only the undergrip though.. either they dont know about overgrip, or dont know where to buy it... i had someone ask me if my orange overgrip was "custom made" :p

15. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    I suggest you do a 'pre-wrap' with the Supergrip first, without using the adhesive, then holding the grip at the cone with a rubber band. Just so you can get an idea of how much overlap you want, as the Supergrips are quite thick... and if you wrap it and then decide you don't like it, you're gonna have major problems as the adhesive on Karakals is easily enough to rip up itself (if enough overlap) or take out splinters from your racket. Basically, with the glue, you don't want to have to do it twice.;)

16. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

You can also interpose a layer of cling-film (food wrap) between layers of grip. Then, if you want to remove or replace a grip, you can do it without all the mess. Cling film weighs next to nothing and will not affect the balance of your racket.

17. chickenpoodle

i personally put the undergrip of my choice (black knight competition grip) on with the adhesive, with very little overlap.

then i apply the supergrap on (without removing the little white adhesive cover at the end), with an overlap of about 3mm.

i dont' see any reason to remove the undergrip at anytime, so theres no point in not using the adhesive!

if the user sweats a lot, i guess the clingwrap will be really useful in keeping that gunk off the wood!

18. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    Grips on Racket Handle! How many???

I am confuzzled on how much grip should I put on my racket handle?:confused:

Right now I am using a black Victor grip but i can't tell if its an over grip or an undergrip and underneath the grip is the wood.

I feel like my grip is too thin but I am not sure....

Is there a way to make my grip thicker like....putting two undergrips or one overgrip?

I would like to know what you guys use on your racket handle:rolleyes:
    (how many grips you use, what kind of grips like overgrip or under grips)

Please help me out:p
    Thank You

19. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Well, it's really up to you to decide, if you say it's too small, add another overgrip to make it thicker. If underneath your black victor grip is wood, then that is the original grip.

I have an original grip + 2 overgrips. I kept adding to see what suits me right. I tried up to 3 overgrips and it was a bit too big and made me produce less power with the racquet. 2 overgrips was perfect for me. Now it's up to you to experiment and find out yourself.

20. RaymondLin

RaymondLin Regular Member

Student/Badminton Player
    Thanks Dave for replying but my racket was a Yonex racket and I removed the original grip and bought a Victor grip and put it on my handle. Someone from my club said that my grip was too thin. I was wondering can you put 2 overgrips under the wood? Any other ways to make grip thicker? I am in Canada now anyone now any website that sells good grips for a good price?