[Recommendation] Yonex Voltric 80 or Li Ning N90 II

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by ioxyg3n520, Feb 2, 2012.

1. ioxyg3n520

ioxyg3n520 Regular Member

Hi. Well I'm not a super pro player but I just love to play badminton for fun and have already played for about two years. I would like to upgrade my racket since the one I'm using is very crappy and old. I like to play aggressively but also sometimes not so aggressively. Which racket would you recommend to me purchase if I'm not super advanced. And also, which do you guys prefer, 3U weight or 4U and why?

Thanks a lot!

2. ioxyg3n520

Oh and if you guys may also tell me. Which racket is lighter?

3. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

Both are top line rackets, but I would recommend going for the VT80 because it's easier to cope with. The weight depends on what you are used to play with. The overall weight and feeling are different things. Most players have problem playing with the 3U VT80 and the 4U feels like a 3U racket. The N90-II is very stiff and designed for power players. Unless you are a very powerful player, there is really no need to use such an expensive racket.

4. ioxyg3n520

So since the VT80 is so heavy even at the 4U spec, shouldn't I go towards the N90 II instead since I'm used to super light rackets. And I like to smash a lot so I guess it could work for me?

Thanks!
    p.s. are you saying I'm better off getting a 4U IF i get a voltric?

5. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I have both rackets (VT80 and N90II). I'm not an advanced pro...just average/intermediate. Overall weight of the rackets are about the same (3U). The VT80 is more head heavy than N90II but the N90II is stiffer. I find that I get a better smash with the VT80 but more quickness with the N90II. Maybe a bit better netplay with the N90II.

I prefer the VT80 for singles but the N90II (or even the MX80) for doubles due to the fact that I'm slower at the net and defence with the VT80. Noticed this during repetative drive shots in practice. Wasn't able to do drives comfortably with the VT80 as compared to my N90II/MX80.

Also...you will experience some shoulder pain and possibly tennis elbow when switching from head light to head heavy. That's what happened to me when I switched from even balanced to head heavy rackets. But the pain will go away once you get used to head heavy rackets. You might want to invest in an elbow brace to lessen the pain when you get tennis elbow.

6. ioxyg3n520

so you're saying that the overall weight of the n90 II is lighter and easier to maneuver around the court with. But is the smash power vs the voltric 80 really going to be that much of a difference? I'm not sure if I can handle a super heavy racket because my old racket is like SUPER light.

p.s. would a 4U VT80 be easier to move around the court than the N90II?

7. CanucksDynasty

The overall weight is the same. It's just that because the N90II is lighter in the head...it would be easier to move around the court (ie. rotate head, etc). Think of carrying a hammer and try moving it about. Now flip the hammer so you hold the head. Weighs the same but you can move it around easier and faster.

The smash power of the N90II is good...just not as good as the VT80 (imho).

No idea on the 4U VT80. 4U means 80-85g while 3u is 85-90g. Don't know if the 4U VT80 = 3U N90II in term of head heaviness and quickness.

If you're playing doubles...I'd suggest you go for 3U N90II. I can't exactly recommend the 4U VT80 as I have never tried it.

Note: I play with 3U VT80 in doubles with my recreational friends cuz it's not fast/competitive. So I can get away with being slower around the net.

8. ioxyg3n520

Just asking one more question xD When you say that the N90 II's smash power is not as good as the VT80, like how much harder or better feel can the VT80 hit? Is it a decent noticeable difference?

9. CanucksDynasty

It's probably because the VT80 is less stiff and more head heavy (than the N90II) that I can generate more power. The difference is probably negligible. I think I smash better with my VT80 but my friend says I have a better smash with the N90II. Go figure :confused:.

10. ioxyg3n520

Oh one last question actually lmao.. Well, I'm a pretty skinny guy only 110lbs, would that in anyway affect me from using the voltric 80? Like would it be way too heavy for me or something?

11. CanucksDynasty

Only you can tell if the racket will suit you or not. Personally, I think anybody can adapt to any racket given enough time. Just remember that your shoulders will be a little sore. Think of it as working out with slightly heavier weights when you exercise. Like changing from a 10lbs dumbell to 15lbs dumbell to do some curls.

12. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    If you get the chance and a friend has either racket, go try it out! My initial guess would be that both these rackets you're looking at will be hard for you to flex the shaft to generate power. Older rackets tended to be extremely flexible and neither of these are like that. That said, if you play with them everyday and get accustomed to the head heaviness, they will reward you well in the long run.