Ratchanok Inthanon - รัชนก อินทนนท์

Discussion in 'Thailand Professional Players' started by robin7, Apr 27, 2009.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yeah, Ratchanok is one of my favourite player alongside TTY.

I am as devastated as you.

pajon likes this.
  2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

This was in China. How can a doctor not know what injection he is giving a player. Does that mean Intanon got framed and have to pay the price? Or should it be the doctor's or the tournament organizers for not making sure prohibited drugs are not used for treatment?

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Have a couple of beers..once you get loopy doopy, you will fee better:D

5. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

I really believe that someone sneaked into Ratchanok's hotel at the BAC and filled her room with some form of steroid gas while she was sleeping. Or maybe the trophy that they gave her at BAC contained some sort of chemical that reacted when it touched Ratchanok's skin! THAT'S why she tested positive! SURELY this plot to frame her has been in the works for years, there simply cannot be any other explanation for this travesty!

/sarcasm

blabl likes this.
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I knew it! WSX's fans did it!! I knew it!! :eek:

Bohy likes this.
  7. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So what happened then in 2013? The tests were not good enough? Or she wasn't tested at all until 2016? My impression of Intanon, having watched her courtside, at a few tournaments over the years, is that she is of cheerful disposition; if she wins, great, if she loses, too bad, why let nerves bother her. Li Xue Rui is her opposite in nature . LXR is serious looking, most of the time, LXR seems to be thinking ahead. Both are great players, just very different in nature.
    And of course, Intanon s natural speed is superb. Her stamina may look great when her opponent is weaker but not against a strong opponent. She used to lose because of lack of stamina until 2016 when her stamina improves. In fact, the Thai WS team improves overall, not just Intanon. A good trainer can help a player improve on her fitness and stamina over time. By the way, she s not my favorite WS. I just can't figure out what would be her motive to use steroids , can you?

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The sample taken was done in China. That doesn't mean the injection for the knee was in China. In fact, the location where the injection was done is not stated. Is there other information I have missed where it states the injection was done in China?

9. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    The whole situation sounds like a trap to kick a contender out before the show begins. Use of steroids to treat an athlete injury?? come on!!
    That's like a political scandal but I have the feeling at the same time some players could go for such a dumb solution to stay on the ranks just like the arranged matches exposed by some in the Danish team.

But for now lets the even unfold.

10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but it's not really uncommon to have injuries (inflammation) treated with hydrocortisone-derivates like dexamethasone and so on, which are all steroid-derivates. They just have to make sure to not use banned substances or tell the responsible associations about it.

But - although unlikely - it could of course be the case that somebody tries to frame her because she's a serious contender for the Gold medal, but which doctor is gonna risk his job for that by knowingly injecting prohibited substances?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Steroids are a common treatment for some types of knee problems. Although an injection In the knee has been blamed, I think it is too simple an explanation.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Exactly, there's no mention Intanon's knee therapy was carried out in China. Besides, who else other than BAT-approved doctor could do the treatment for her.

Furthermore, she's not the only main OG contender, why would she be the only one targeted. Anyway, such wild speculation is unhelpful and scandalous.

Until now, we still don't know whether Intanon did it intentionally or without her knowledge or accidentally (unlikely as she received treatment for her knee injury, by injection or ingestion or otherwise but steroid is admitted to be used according to reports). Too early to judge her before the truth is known. Personally, I don't believe she would do it intentionally, not in the Olympic year, what with her talents and prospects as a medal contender, almost unthinkable.

But as steroid is involved in her knee therapy, even if it's not her fault, she's unlikely to escape any sanctions. (Even assuming it's corticosteroid which is prohibited in-competition but not prohibited or not tested out-of-competition; still if found during competition, it constitutes a violation. Unfortunately, she was tested positive in-competition during the Uber Cup in May).

The latest Bangkok Post " article has finally clarified that the BAT was informed of a sample taken from Ratchanok during the Uber Cup competition in May had tested positive for an as yet unidentified prohibited substance."
    http://www.badzine.net/2016/07/thailand-awaits-official-word-on-intanon-doping-allegations/

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think BWF who's holding a three-day meeting since Friday is in a bind. How to decide Intanon Ratchanok's fate before the result of Sample B sent to a Japan lab is out ? Time is running out for her, apparently.

14. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    That's embarrassing for them too:
    If the first test doesn't give a clear evidence of doping they will have to accept to let her compete (and eventually take her medal afterwards in case she win one).
    The other option is to "make her guilty" now (and apply a ban period) forgetting the second test clarification because if they don't and it appears to be clean everyone (specially in Thailand) will point out the mistake of suppressing her chances to play.

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The questions to ask are: What if it turns out to be a false positive? Next is, did the prohibited drug actually enhance her Uber Cup performance? Lastly, how is this drug supposed to help her or the Thai team to achieve their goal?

1) If it turns out to be a false positive, bwf should be prepared to pay considerable compensation for her and Thailand's lost opportunity of a potential Olympic gold. Better to give Intanon the benefit of doubt first.

2) Did Intanon perform spectacularly in Uber Cup? As it was ,Thailand unexpectedly lost to India in QF? So what kind of performance enhancement drug was this that fail to deliver? Oh, maybe the dosage wasn't sufficient? Maybe this kind of drug enhance performance in some other sports but not badminton?

3) Lastly, how is Uber Cup won? On just the first WS winning the match? Obviously not, it s a team effort. So how would just Intanon been given the drug help guarantee a Thailand win? So is there any good reason to try a drug?

The numbers don t add up. Maybe the drug enabled her to play badminton when she would otherwise have to retire or not play?

16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If it was anabolic steroid, her career would be over.

If it was corticosteroids, maybe a few months ban.. but still I don't think she can go to Rio still.

17. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    This could be very much the same case as Lee Chong Wei. I doubt there is foul play with urine tests carried out by BWF (they follow the athletes to the toilet to make sure they're legit). I doubt she would clear sample B. I doubt Nong May would deliberately use performance enhancing drugs but I also doubt she could go to Rio.

Rob3rt and visor like this.
  18. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    If LCW was negligent in not noticing there's Dexamethasone in the gelatin casing of his supplement pills, Nong May and the BAT could have been negligent in what they've been using in the injection used in treating her knee injury.

19. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    Did we know what product LCW took to recover from injury? I have the feeling its could be the same substance and that would be just ridiculous.
    In both cases the result is the same, not taking anything to heal or going to cheat and get obvious ban. Medics need to pay more attention at what they give anyway.

That sport might need to be less stressful for the athletes schedule wise, increasing time between competitions to let them ensure they enter and stay clean. They run after ranking points like in a marathon not surprising some simple things could be forgotten in the way.

#699 yf19-sama, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  20. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    In LCW's case it was Dexamethasone.

http://says.com/my/news/what-s-the-deal-with-dexamethasone-isn-t-it-a-common-drug

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=94944

This sanction, imposed by the BWF Doping Hearing Panel, has resulted from an Adverse Analytical Finding of Lee’s sample taken at the BWF World Championships last 30 August in Denmark. That sample contained Dexamethasone, a Specified Substance prohibited "in competition”, the source of which was a contaminated casing(s) of a gelatin capsule(s) containing a food supplement that Lee had been taking.

#700 badlove, Jul 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2016