RASMUSSEN beat WONG Choong Hann !

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2004' started by SmartCivet, Jun 30, 2004.

1. SmartCivet

SmartCivet Regular Member

SOFTWARE ENGINEER
    The first round 0f MS,
    RASMUSSEN beat WONG Choong Hann 15-4, 4-15, 15-10

Other exciting results:
    MAINAKY ~ Marleve beat BOESEN Anders 10-15, 15-1, 15-10
    SATO Shoji beat JONASSEN Kenneth 15-12, 7-15, 17-16
    KUAN Beng Hong beat WACHA Przemyslaw 15-6, 15-3

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Quite some upsets, I must say!

Wong will certainly have to pull up his socks if he really wants to make a mark at the forthcoming Olympics, probably the last for him. :mad:

3. wl2172

wl2172 Regular Member

Another poor outing from Wong. Hope he peaks in Olympics.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Did anybody see the Rasmussen/Wong match? It would be interesting to know if it was Wong that lost or Rasmussen that won... Peter certainly has the potential, as we all know, but for many years he's been quite a bit from his late 90's level. Maybe all he needed was a long(ish) injury-free period to find his play again?

5. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    I think it doesn't really matter Wong losing against Peter Rasmussen, since PR won't play in the olympics anyway.
    It would be more difficult to overcome for him if he had lost against one of his direct rivals for the olympics...

6. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    what's wrong wth him.............
    :confused:
    still cannot believe he lose :(
    so dissapointed now. :mad:

7. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Shock!

I was shocked when I received the news that WCH lost! His graph of victory is slowly going down and down and down and down............ I thought that after the preparation he has gone through prior to the Olympics, he will be able to get past Rasmussen. Is it still too early to see him "DEAD" in Athen?? :confused: :(

8. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    Choong Hann Crashes Out To Rasmussen In First Round

Top Malaysian singles shuttler Wong Choong Hann in his elements but crashed out in the first round of the US$120,000 Malaysia Open badminton championships in Kuantan.

KUANTAN, June 30 (Bernama) -- Top Malaysian singles shuttler Wong Choong Hann crashed out in the first round of the US$120,000 (RM456,000) Malaysia Open badminton championships, here Wednesday.

Playing in the Sukpa Indoor Stadium, Bandar Indera Mahkota, the 27-year-old southpaw was stunned by Denmark's Peter Rasmussen 4-15, 15-4, 10-15 in 50 minutes.

Choong Hann, the tournament's 3rd seed and one of the three Malaysian shuttlers who qualified for the Athens Olympic Games in August, struggled against the 1997 world champion.

He had no answer against Rasmussen's fast pace in the opening game and trailed 0-7 but regained his composure to win the second game 15-4 in 11 minutes to force the rubber.

In the decider, both played cautiously but it was Rasmussen, ranked 84th in the world as against Choong Hann's 3rd, who raced to a 12-8 lead and reached match point at 14-10.

The Dane then wrapped up the match as Choong Hann failed to retrieve his cross-court smash.

"I was forced to follow his game and I was blank on the tactics. It's rather disappointing to lose in the first round but still I have to continue to work hard for the Olympic Games.

"The game and the flow are not there at the moment," said Choong Hann, who lost in the semi-finals in Kota Kinabalu last year.

The 30-year-old Rasmussen, who made a comeback in the Thomas Cup Finals in Jakarta last month after a long lay-off due to injury, will play German number one Bjoern Joppien in Thursday's second round.

"Actually, it was a difficult game for me and Choong Hann. I had nothing to lose against him and I played as best as I could. I did not make many mistakes in the last quarter of the third game," said Rasmussen, who did not qualify for the Athens Olympics.

Apart from Choong Hann, two other seeded players -- 12th seed Kenneth Jonassen and 15th seed Anders Boesen, both of Denmark, failed to clear the first round.

Jonassen was upset by Japan's Shoji Sato 12-15, 15-7, 16-17 while former Indonesian top player Marleve Mainaky clawed back from a game down to oust Boesen 10-15, 15-1, 15-10.

Four Malaysians -- 13th seed Lee Chong Wei, Muhammad Hafiz Hashim, Lee Tsuen Seng and Kuan Beng Hong -- advanced to Thursday's second round after half of the 32 first round fixtures were played Wednesday morning.

Chong Wei, currently ranked 3rd in the national squad, opened his campaign with a 17-14, 15-3 victory over Mahardi Wiempie of Indonesia.

As for Hafiz, the 2003 All England champion struggled before overcoming Thailand's Thirayu Laohathaimongkol 15-10, 12-15, 15-2.

Tsuen Seng had no difficulty in beating Sergio Llopis of Spain 15-7, 15-4 while Beng Hong outclassed Przemyslaw Wacha of Poland 15-6, 15-3.

Chong Wei will face Hidetaka Yamada of Japan in the second round, with Hafiz down to meet Marleve.

Beng Hong is up against 11th seed Chen Yu of China while Tsuen Seng will square off against top seed Lin Dan of China.

Lin Dan, the world number one, had an easy 15-3, 15-1 win over Hasbullah Hafiz of Malaysia in the first round.

Lin Dan's compatriot Xia Xuanze, the reigning world champion, who was runner-up at the 2000 Malaysia Open, also marched into the second round of the four-star event with a 15-2, 15-8 victory over Nik Ahmad Faiz Nik Abdullah of Malaysia, one of the eight players from the qualifying round.

-- BERNAMA

9. pptam

pptam Regular Member

Senior Executive
    I am not shock

Well, it is not a shock for me to hear about the result.
    Peter Rasmussen definitely has potential to posed as a threat to any players based on his performance in 90s.
    Even if he beaten Lin Dan, it is not a surprise for me.

In any sport games, there is no ultimate winner. I was a bit shock to hear Lin Dan claimed no one can beat him at this moment, I hope some big guys out there to give him a good lesson how to be humble like Yang Yang and Zhao Jian Hua.

Lin Dan had lost to Korea, Lee Hyun Il before. It has prove he is beatable.

It time for Wong to reflect his mistake and failure and keep going to improve for the next coming event, Olympic 2004.

10. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

I'm not sure humble and Zhao Jian Hua should be in the same sentence ...

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    On the other hand, it is also a serious dent on the confidence level that Wong can't even beat a non-qualifier! Although Rasmussen is no easy meat, having been highly ranked before injury puts him down. But one must expect the Olympic qualifiers to be better prepared, more motivated and therefore harder to beat! Psychologically, Wong is a beaten man and he has very little time to recover for the big event in August.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Here's another match report from the Star:

The Star Online > Sports
    Thursday July 1, 2004
    Rasmussen sends Malaysian number one out in opening round

BY LOGANATH VELLOO

Denmark's Peter Rasmussen returns the shuttlecock to Malaysia's Wong Choong Hann during their men's singles first round match of the Malaysian Open on Wednesday. Rasmussen won 15-4, 4-15, 15-10.
    KUANTAN: Malaysia’s number one Wong Choong Hann’s campaign in the men’s singles event of the Malaysian Open at the Sukpa Badminton Hall here ended in the first round yesterday.

Former world champion Peter Rasmussen of Denmark sent the third seed out with a 15-4, 4-15, 15-10 win.

Although it was only the opening round, the fans could have been fooled into thinking both the players were battling for a place in the final.

A slow start by Choong Hann saw Rasmussen rushing to a 12-1 lead in the first game and the Dane duly won 15-4.

It was Choong Hann’s turn to storm into a 9-0 lead in the next game. He was in total control, winning by an identical 15-4 score.

Although he kept pace till 8-8 in the rubber game, Choong Hann was caught flat-footed when the former world champion took control with his attacking game and forced the Malaysian to scurry all over the court.

Choong Hann started playing to Rasmussen’s rhythm and the Dane reeled off four straight points.

The Malaysian then staged a late fightback by taking two points, but it proved too late and his final competition before the Olympics Games in August ended prematurely.

After the defeat, Choong Hann admitted that he deserved to lose.

“I have lost my killer instincts since losing in the final of the World Championships in July last year. My opponents do not fear me any more and can easily read and break my game.

“I could have won the match today if I had been more composed. My problem right now is that I only realise how to change my strategies after the match is over and not while on court,†said a dejected Choong Hann.

National coach Misbun Sidek (left) having a word with Wong Choong Hann after his defeat in the first round of the Malaysian Open on Wednesday. - STARpic by Kamarul Ariffin
    Choong Hann, however, sees a silver lining in the defeat.

“I have more than one month before the Olympics to work on my weaknesses. It is disappointing to lose in the first round here. Now I need to make adjustments to my training programme, especially on my mental strength during a match,†added the 27-year-old.

National singles chief coach Misbun Sidek played down his top player’s loss by insisting that he had expected Rasmussen to present a tough fight.

“The match could have gone either way. Choong Hann lost because he failed to maintain his attacking momentum in the rubber game.

“He started to rally and became impatient when Rasmussen held the attacking advantage. That led to indecision on what strategy to use and it cost him the tie.

“It is important for him to realise his mistakes and shortcomings. One month is ample time for him to buck up but he needs to be ready to accept a punishing training programme ahead of the Olympics,†said Misbun.

It was the 30-year-old Rasmussen’s first-ever victory over Choong Hann after losing in their only previous meeting at the 1999 Ipoh Masters.

The win also boosted the unseeded Dane’s confidence in taking on higher-ranked players after only returning from injury during the Thomas Cup Finals in May.

“As the third seed and Malaysia’s top player, it was difficult for Choong Hann as the pressure was on him to win. I had nothing to lose and took full advantage at 8-8 in the third game when he made a few mistakes,†said Rasmussen, who will take on Bjoern Joppien of Germany in the second round today.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    M

Just as most of you are dissappointed at not having current information on the Malaysian Open due to the non-availability of an appropriate website, I reproduce from the Star, which I consider to be Malaysia's top sports paper, the full results of yesterday's first round matches: :)

The Star Online > Sports
    Thursday July 1, 2004
    Malaysian open badminton championships results

*Malaysia unless stated

MEN’S SINGLES
    First round: Lin Dan (Chn) bt Hasbullah Hafiz 15-3, 15-1; Lee Tsuen Seng bt Sergio Llopis (Spa) 15-7, 15-4; Marleve Mainaky (Ina) bt Anders Boesen (Den) 10-15, 15-1, 15-10; Mohd Hafiz Hashim bt Thirayu Laohathaimongkol (Tha) 15-10, 12-15, 15-2; Sony Dwi Kuncoro (Ina) bt Zairul Hafiz Zainudin 15-2, 15-3; Agus Hariyanto (Hkg) bt Adisak Wiriyapadungpong (Tha) 17-14, 15-13; Niels-Christian Kaldau (Den) bt Yohan Hadikusumo Wiratama (Hkg) 15-4, 12-15, 15-3; Park Sung-hwan (Kor) bt Simon Maunoury (Fra) 15-3, 15-2; Peter Rasmussen (Den) bt Wong Choong Hann 15-4, 4-15, 15-10; Bjoern Joppien (Ger) bt Beryno Wong 15-8, 15-3; Shoji Sato (Jpn) bt Kenneth Jonassen (Den) 15-12, 7-15, 17-16; Dicky Palyama (Ned) bt Afiq Roslan 15-2, 15-2; Xia Xuanze (Chn) bt Nik Ahmad Faiz Nik Abdullah 15-2, 15-8; Marcus Jansson (Swe) bt Chong Kien Ling 8-15, 15-4, 15-6; Chen Yu (Chn) bt Sairul Amar Ayob 14-17, 15-6, 15-2; Kuan Beng Hong bt Przemyslaw Wacha (Pol) 15-6, 15-3; Hidetaka Yamada (Jpn) bt Vountus Indra Mawan 15-7, 15-7; Lee Chong Wei bt Mahardi Wiempie (Ina) 17-14, 15-3; Yeoh Kay Bin bt Zhang Yang (Hkg) 15-5, 15-7; Peter Gade Christiansen (Den) bt Jang Young-soo (Kor) 15-7, 15-3; James Chua bt Raymond Steven 15-9, 9-15, 15-1; Roslin Hashim bt Jim Ronny Andersen (Nor) 15-6, 15-6; Salim Sameon bt Eric Pang (Ned) 15-8, 15-2; Bao Chunlai (Chn) bt Erwin Kehlhoffner (Fra) 15-7, 15-5; Antti Viitikko (Fin) bt Shafiq Jamaluddin 15-8, 15-6; Taufik Hidayat (Ina) bt Lok Chong Chieh 15-3, 15-1; Ismail Saman bt George Rimarcdi (Swe) w.o; Ronald Susilo (Sin) bt Pei Wei Chung 15-3, 15-1; Andrew Smith (Eng) bt Lim Chen Wet 15-3, 15-5; Ng Wei (Hkg) bt Hazwan Jamaluddin 15-7, 15-3; Boonsak Ponsana (Tha) bt K. Yogendran 15-6, 15-13; Chen Hong (Chn) bt Nazree Latifi 15-3, 15-3.

MEN'S DOUBLES
    First round: Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock bt Gordown Ruben-Aji Basuki Sindoro (Ina) 15-1, 15-4; Lee Jae-jin-Hwang Ji-man (Kor) bt Sergio Llopis-Jose Antonio Crespo (Spa) 15-3, 15-10; Sudket Prapakamol-Patapol Ngernsrisuk (Tha) bt Wadianto Nova-Sigit Budiarto (Ina) w.o; Uki Kasah Yoga-Riam Sukarwan (Ina) bt Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari-Woon Fui Lin 15-11, 15-12; Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah bt Candra Wijaya-Flandi Limpele (Ina) 15-11, 9-15, 15-0; Hendra Gunawan-Joko Riyadi (Ina) bt Michal Logosz-Robert Mitusiak (Pol) 15-6, 8-15, 15-6; Sang Yang-Zheng Bo (Chn) bt Michael Lamp-Mathias Boe (Den) 15-11, 15-2; Kovit Phisetsarasai-Nittipong Saengsila (Tha) bt Kwok Wa Liu-Albertus Susanto Njoto (Hkg) 15-8, 15-8; Thomas Laybourn-Peter Steffensen (Den) bt Songpol Anukritayawan-Adisak Wiriyapadong (Tha) 15-2, 13-15, 15-4; Erwin Kehlofnner-Thomas Quere (Fra) bt Tan Wee Kiong-Vountous Indra 15-7, 15-12; Markis Kidho-Hendra Setiawan (Ina) bt Nattapon Naktong-Panuwat Ngernsrisul (Tha) 15-2, 15-1.

WOMEN’S DOUBLES
    First round: Gao Ling-Huang Sui (Chn) bt Wong Pei Tty-Chin Eei Hui 15-7, 15-2; Saralee Thungthongkam-Sathinee Chankrachangwong (Tha) bt Vita Marissa-Eny Widiowati (Ina) 15-3, 15-7; Shizuka Yamamoto-Seiko Yamada (Jpn) bt Lydia Cheah-Ng Hui Lin 15-1, 15-7; Ella Tripp-Joanne Wright (Eng) bt Lai Khai Ping-Anita Raj Kaur 15-6, 15-4; Wei Yili-Zhao Tingting (Chn) bt Soratja Chansrisukot-Salakjit Polsana (Tha) 15-8, 15-2; Kamila Augustyn-Nadiezda Kostiuczyk (Pol) bt Law Pei Pei-Marilyn Pang 15-0, 15-7; Rikke Olsen-Ann-Lou Jorgensen (Den) Sara Runesten-Petersen-Natalie Munt (Nzl-Eng) 15-10, 15-13; Jiang Yanmei-Li Yujia (Sin) bt Koon Wai-chee-Li Wing-mui (Hkg) 15-9, 15-7; Emms Gail-Donna Kellogg (Eng) bt Tetty Yunita-Lelyana Daisy Chandra (Ina) 15-5, 15-8; Lilyana Natsir-Gresya Polii (Ina) bt Chikako Nakayama-Keiko Yoshitomi (Jpn) 15-3, 15-12; Monthila Meemek-Sitee Prucksapaisarnsilp (Tha) bt K. Sugita-Ooi Yu Hang 15-10, 15-5; Hwang Yu-mi-Lee Hyo-jung (Kor) bt Duang-Anong Arunkesorn-Kulchala Worawichitchaikul (Tha) 15-7, 15-8; Pernille Harder-Mette Schjoldager (Den) bt Nicole Grether-Juliane Schenk (Ger) 15-12, 15-8; Jo Novita-Lita Nurlita (Ina) bt Shinta Mulya Sari-Xing Aiying (Sin) 15-8, 15-6; Neli Boteva-Petya Nedeltcheva (Bul) bt Fong Chew Yen-See Phui Leng 15-8, 15-9; Yang Wei-Zhang Jiewen (Chn) bt Ooi Sock Ai-Mooi Hing Yau 15-1, 15-4.

MIXED DOUBLES
    First round: Zhang Jun-Gao Ling (Chn) bt Lee Jae-jin-Hwang Yu-mi (Kor) 15-7, 15-10; Robert Blair-Natalie Munt (Eng) bt Daniel Shirley-Sara Runesten-Petersen (Nzl) 15-13, 13-15, 15-6; Jens Eriksen-Mette Schjoldager (Den) bt Bjoern Siegemund-Nicol Pitro (Ger) 15-11, 15-13; Titon Gustaman-Lelyana Daisy Chandra (Ina) bt Liu Kwok-wa-Koon Wai-chee (Hkg) 15-11, 12-15, 15-7; Sudket Prapakamol-Saralee Thungthongkam (Tha) bt Zakry Latif-Joanne Quay 15-8, 15-7; Devin Lahardi-Tetty Yunita (Ina) bt Svetoslav Stoyanov-Victoria Wright (Fra) 11-15, 15-10, 15-6; Nova Widianto-Vita Marissa (Ina) bt Koo Kien Keat-Mooi Hing Yau 15-8, 15-3; Thomas Laybourn-Pernille Harder (Den) bt Jose Antonio Crespo-Dolores Marco (Spa) w.o; Songpol Anukritayawan-Duang-Anong Arunkesorn (Tha) bt Ong Ewe Hock-M. Sutheaswari 7-15, 15-9, 15-6; Jonas Rasmussen-Rikke Olsen (Den) bt Ong Soon Hock-See Phui Leng 15-7, 15-7; Fairuzizuan Tazari-Ooi Sock Ai bt Nattapon Naktong-Kulchala Worawichitchaikul (Tha) 15-7, 15-12; Nathan Robertson-Emms Gail (Eng) bt Michael Lamp-Ann-Lou Jorgensen (Den) 15-7, 15-8; Anggun Nugroho-Eny Widiowati (Ina) bt Gan Taik Chai-Fong Chew Yen 15-10, 3-15, 15-7; Chen Qiqiu-Zhao Tingting (Chn) bt Albertus Susanto Njoto-Li Wing-mui (Hkg) 15-10, 15-7; Tadashi Ohtsuka-Shizuka Yamamoto (Jpn) bt Frederik Bergstrom-Johanna Persson (Swe) 12-15, 15-3, 15-8; Kim Yong-hyun-Lee Hyo-jung (Kor) bt Tan Bin Shen-Tania Teoh 15-2, 15-9.

TODAY’S PROGRAMME
    9am: Mixed doubles second round;
    9.45am: Women’s singles first round;
    12 noon: Men’s singles second round;
    6.30pm: Women’s singles second round;
    7.15pm: Men’s singles third round;
    8pm: Women’s doubles second round;
    9.30pm: Men’s doubles second round.

14. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

thanks for the info! i cant watch it here*sigh :(

anyway.i think u missed out women's singles??
    keep on updating!!!i'll be constantly checkin :)

15. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner

some other big fallers!

Cai/Fu lost to Setiawan/Kidho

also - why is Wijaya playing with Limpele?

Shame Robertson/Clark drew Chan/Chew in the first round, but they made them work - losing in three.

I fancy eriksen / lundgard-hansen to win the MD.

is JR/LP injured - thought they would be at this, but can't see their names..

Singles could be anybodys - Chen Hong, Xia, Lin, Rasmussen, Susilio, Bao all in form - the Xia - Rasmussen game would be good to see

where is Kim/Ra in the XD ?

hope Nathan/Gail do well, nice to see them beat Lamp/Jorgensen, i think they can beat Boe/Olsen as well. After that it'll be Chen/Zhao or Kim/Lee - hope they tire each other out and give Nathan/Gail a chance :D

I won't comment on the ladies doubles/singles since i haven't a clue :)

#15 coops241180, Jul 1, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2004
  16. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    You'll find the answer in Chesire Cat's article... (which I can't seem to find right now!)

Jonas Rasmussen announced it himself on the forum : check here!

None of the top Koreans came to Malaysia, this news was posted somewhere in the forum too...

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Susilo Overcomes Taufik Finally

Here's Straits Times report on the performance of some of our Singapore players who were involved in the Malaysian Open in Kuantan.

JULY 2, 2004
    BADMINTON
    Susilo beats Taufik, finally
    But after overcoming one nemesis, he now faces another, Chen Hong

By Peh Shing Huei

AFTER five tries, Ronald Susilo has finally overcome one of the most stubborn obstacles in his playing career. The Singaporean edged out Asian champion Taufik Hidayat 13-15, 15-9, 15-8 in the third round of the US$120,000 (S$205,000) Malaysia Open yesterday.

It was his first win over the Indonesian since turning professional in 1998.

The Republic's top shuttler could not mask his excitement. Amid much laughter, he said: 'Yes, finally, I beat my arch-enemy. I wanted this so badly.

'Despite trailing, I just refused to give up. I did not want to lose, not again. 'So I fought and fought, and in the end, I edged him out because I was fitter. I had that extra bit of stamina.'

Before last night's match in Kuantan, the 25-year-old had lost to Taufik, 22, in all four meetings.

When they were trainees at Jakarta's famous Jaya Raya Club, Susilo used to beat Taufik regularly.

But, after Susilo came to Singapore, Taufik had the edge.

After his last defeat at the Batam Masters two years ago, an exasperated Susilo remarked: 'I can't figure out why I keep losing to him.'

He finally deciphered the mystery. Taufik's game is built around a venomous smash and superb control of the net. But he is known to crack against stubborn defensive players who repeatedly return his 'winners'.

So last night, world No 10 Susilo switched to a patient game, electing to drag the Indonesian, ranked 11th, across the four corners to defuse his explosive style.

It worked beautifully, leading the frustrated and tired Taufik into unforced errors.

'Unlike in the past,' said Susilo, who beat Malaysia's Saman Ismail 15-6, 15-5 in the second round, 'I don't lose concentration that easily now.'

His confidence has also been on the up since April's Japan Open victory.

In fact, he has been tipped by fellow players and coaches for a medal at next month's Athens Olympics.

He said: 'I don't have top sparring partners to train with every day, so tournaments are my only gauge of where I stand. At least I know I'm on the right track now.'

His conversation with Timesport then turned to his other nemesis - Chen Hong of China.

The world No 2 has beaten the Singaporean eight consecutive times. Will tonight's quarter-final be No 9?

'Never mind,' said the feisty Singaporean. 'I may have lost each time, but I'm still confident that I can beat him.'

Singapore also had another pleasant result from Kuantan.

Women's doubles pair Jiang Yanmei and Li Yujia, ranked 29th in the world, upset No 7 Rikke Olsen and Ann-Lou Jorgensen of Denmark 15-13, 15-5 in the round of 16.

This is the Singapore duo's biggest victory since teaming up a year ago.

But like Susilo, they have another tough task today. They will play China's world No 4 pair of Wei Yili and Zhao Tingting.

Unfortunately, there was disappointment in the singles.

Jiang had earlier crashed out in the second round 0-11, 2-11 to China's third seed Zhou Mi.

There were hopes in the Singapore camp of a possible upset, for Jiang had been sharp and workmanlike in her earlier demolition of Indonesia's No 1 Silvi Antarini 11-6, 11-1.

Although Jiang turned to singles play only a year ago, she has done well enough to qualify for the Athens Games.

Another to fall was compatriot Li Li, who was defeated 11-9, 6-11, 4-11 by Thailand's top player Salakjit Polsana in the first round.

Malaysian Lee Chong Wei Defeated Peter Gade To Enter QF

Another report from the Star on the performance of Malaysian shuttlers.

Friday July 2, 2004
    Singles shuttler Chong Wai in last eight
    BY LOGANATH VELLOO
    KUANTAN: Lee Chong Wei is the lone Malaysian shuttler through to the men's singles quarter-finals of the Malaysian Open Badminton Championship at the Sukpa Badminton Hall here last night.

Chong Wei, last year's finalist put on a gallant display to oust Denmark's number one Peter Gade Christensen 12-15, 15-3, 17-16 in an epic battle lasting 96 minutes in the third round last night.

Chong Wei made life difficult for himself as he threw away a 12-6 lead in the first game to lose 12-15 to the fifth seed from Denmark.

However, the 13th seed regained his composure to nail Gade Christensen with his pin-point smashes and brilliant net play to take the second game 15-3.

In the rubber game, Chong Wei again held the upper hand when he took a 12-8 lead, and held match point at 14-12.

GREAT FIGHTBACK: Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei celebrates after coming back from the brink of defeat against Denmark's Peter Gade Christensen to win a third rounf tie in the men's singles event of the Malaysian Open Badminton Championship in Kuantan last night.-Starpic by Kamarul Ariffin.
    But then the experienced Christensen hit back to force deuce and storm into a 16-14 lead.

Just when the home crowd thought that Malaysia's last hope was going to crash out, Chong Wei found his second wind to come back in style to win the game 17-16 after numerous service changes and allegations of bad line calls by both players.

“I could have won easily but made life difficult by being to eager to close out the game. I proceeded to make too many errors, but I am happy that I recovered at the crucial moment to defeat Christensen,†said Chong Wei.

He will now meet China's Bao Chunlai in a repeat of last year's clash at the same stage in Kota Kinabalu last year. Then, the Penangite won 9-15, 15-13, 15-11 in his only match against the world number four.

“I do not fear Chunlai and want to repeat my last year's victory over him. However, I am exhausted and my legs are feeling very heavy at the moment. I hope I can recover in time to take him on tomorrow (today),†added the Malaysian.

Chunlai himself had to dig deep into his reserves before dispatching Malaysian number two Roslin Hashim 15-5, 6-15, 15-10.

Roslin had also lost to the Chinese player 5-15, 9-15 in the quarter-finals of the Japan Open in April.

Although Chong Wei's marathon encounter with Christensen had the fans on the edge of their seats, it could not match the quality of the third round encounter between top seed Lin Dan and Malaysian Hafiz Hashim.

The Chinese world number one edged out a narrow 17-14, 15-13 victory in the battle between the 2003 and 2004 All England champions.

Hafiz, who has not had a good run in competitions lately, played out of his skin to match Lin Dan stroke for stroke and constantly had the Chinese player at his mercy.

“Without doubt, it was my best match of the year. It is one of those rare occasions when I can be satisfied with my performance despite losing the tie.

“Lin Dan played exceptionally well but I made several simple mistakes and that cost me the tie,†said Hafiz.

Six Malaysians fell by the wayside in the men's second round matches played in the morning yesterday.

Lee Tsuen Seng played one of his very few better matches this year, but it was not enough to stop Lin Dan from chalking up a 15-4, 15-7 win.

James Chua's comeback from a long layoff was cut short by Roslin who won 12-15, 5-15 while Kuan Beng Hong took 11th seed Cai Yun to three games but lost his momentum when it mattered most to lose 10-15, 15-6, 3-15.

The other local players who lost were Ismail Saman, Salim Sameon and Yeoh Kay Bin, who was beaten by Christensen 15-4, 15-11 in the second round.

Meanwhile, Young Malaysian pair Ong Soon Hock-Tan Bin Shen qualified for their first ever quarter-finals in an international tournament when they defeated South Koreans Lee Jae Jin-Hwang Ji Man 15-10, 15-13 last night.

They were joined in the last eight by national number one pair Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah. Tan Fook and Wan Wah got their second Indonesian scalp in as many days with a 15-5, 15-10 victory over Hendra Gunawan-Joko Riyadi.

HAPPY READING :) :) :)

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Actually I didn't miss the women's singles results. Just that they were not scheduled to be played on that day but their Round 1 started yesterday. Unfortunately I could not reproduce the entire results of yesterday as they were not available on internet. However, I reproduce some extracts from our local paper, Straits Times, for your info: :)

MS Round 2

Lin Dan b Lee TS 15-4, 15-7
    Hashim b M Mainaky 15-8, 17-14
    Sony Kuncoro b A Hariyanto 15-10, 15-7
    Park Sung Hwan b Niels-C Kaldau 15-6, 15-8
    P Rasmussen b B Joppien 15-4, 15-3
    S Sato b D Palyam 15-3, 15-4
    Xia Xuanze b M Jansson 15-4, 15-8
    Chen Yu b Kuan B H 15-10, 3-15, 15-6
    Lee C W b H Yamada 15-12, 15-2
    P Gade b Yeoh K B 15-4, 15-11
    R Hashim b James Chua 15-12, 15-5
    Bao C L b Salim Sameon 15-1, 15-3
    T Hidayat b A Vitikko 15-10, 15-5
    R Susilo b I Saman 15-6, 15-5
    Ng Wei b A Smith 15-1, 15-7
    Chen Hong b Boonsak P 15-10, 17-15

MS Round 3

Lin Dan b Hafiz 17-14, 15-13
    Park S H b Sony K 15-10, 15-10
    Rasmussen b Sato 7-15, 17-14, 15-12
    Xia b Chen Yu 15-7, 15-8
    Lee C W b P Gade 12-15, 15-3, 17-16
    Bao b Roslin 15-5, 6-15, 15-10
    Susilo b Taufik 13-15, 15-9, 15-8
    Chen Hong b Ng Wei 15-10, 13-15, 15-5

Women's Singles Round 1

Gong Ruina b Tine Rasmussen 11-7, 11-5
    Yao Jie b S Prucksapaisarnsilp 11-0, 11-3
    Jun Jae Youn b J Schenk 11-2, 11-9
    K Yonekura b Kelly Morgan 11-8, 11-3
    Jiang Yanmei b Silvi Antarini 11-6, 11-1
    Xie Xingfang b Ling W T 11-1, 11-5
    Xu Huaiwen b M Andrievskaya 11-3, 11-6
    Pi Hongyang b Seo Yoon Hee 11-5, 11-9
    Mia Audina b Miho Tanaka 3-11, 11-3,13-10
    S Polsana b Li Li 9-11, 11-6, 11-4
    Camilla Martin b A Weckstrom 11-2, 11-6
    K Mori b Tracey Hallam 11-13, 11-7, 11-1
    Zhang Ning b F Adrianti 11-9, 11-2

WS Round 2

Gong b Yao Jie 11-1, 11-1
    Jun b Yonekura 13-11, 11-2
    Zhou b Jiang 11-0, 11-2
    Xie b Nedeltcheva (Bul) 13-10, 11-0
    Pi b Xu 11-9, 11-3
    Audina b Grether 11-0, 11-2
    Martin b Polsana 11-7, 11-7
    Zhang b Mori 11-5, 11-2

19. SDK-MSN

SDK-MSN Regular Member

thanks a bunch loh! i knew we couldnt rely on the INA women's singles!!! :mad: :mad: gosh..
    INA's squad is crashing down. :mad:
    well well well, pls update again since there's no live coverage here :mad:
    I would like to see Lin Dan got beaten up :mad: (as if!!hahahahah..)
    :) :) :) :) :)