racquetTune app

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by dimcorner, Jul 7, 2011.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I think I'm doing it wrong.

On ClearTune
    Yonex VT80 w/ BG80 @ 27lbs = 596 Hz
    Victor MX80 w/ VS850 @ 27lbs = 580 Hz

On racquetTune - stupid app kept closing on me when I tried to pick different racket. Gonna have to re-install it.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Those frequencies look like half. Double them to get your correct ones, should be in the range of 900-1300Hz or so. If you lightly strum it clearly with 1-2 fingernails with your iPod flat on the table, racket face directly over the mike, it should pickup the higher frequencies better.

3. CanucksDynasty

Thanks for the tip. I was using 4 fingernails with iPod on the bed. I'll post my results when I have time.

4. pax1234

pax1234 New Member

I just use the freeware Visual analyser ver 8.14 ( newer version available, but my mic doesn't pick up the sound as good as the old ver 8.14) on my windows 7 PC with a headset mic. The frequency meter is one of the application on the main manual, turn it on and it will pick up sound from the PCs microphone.

I strung my Apac Tantrum 300 with Ashaway ZM67 to 20-23 pound. The frequency was 1040 hz right after stringing. After one week of playing, the frequency was 960 hz. It is staying at 960 hz for two weeks now. I just check it again it is still at 960 hz.

This is a good free tool to check the frequency of your string, no fancy options like the other apps, but it does give you a reference frequency of your own racket. Just Google Visual Analyser and download the older version. You can try the newer version, but it didn't work very well for me.

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Well, if you're that frugal and want only freeware, there's iAnalyzer lite. Free and what's more important, works well with your cool iDevice, instead of being tied to your lowly pc. :p

6. pax1234

pax1234 New Member

Visor,

I am just an old fart. I don't have any cool Idevice like you. I just wanted to point out that this program is available and that is what I used to check my own string tensions.

Yes, I am frugal, I also use a lowly Klipper machine to do my own stringing too. I am happy with what I have. I am careless if you have all this cool devices to play with. Good for you.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

pax1234, just ribbin' ya. :). Btw, what's your exact frequency at specific tensions when you use zm67? I'm finding it around 1080Hz @ 23lbs ECP right after. Thereafter it drops to 1020Hz and stays there for many weeks. That's one thing good about zm67 is tension retention.

8. pax1234

pax1234 New Member

I strung mine on the Klipper drop weigth ( I calibrated with good scale) at 20 main and 23 cross per Apac on their web page. It was 1040Hz right after and 960Hz thereafter. I strung my other Yonex spare racket at 23 main and 25 cross, the frequency was 1100Hz right after and 1000Hz thereafter. Same ZM67 string.

Looks like the zm67 strung with my machine, tension would drop around 10% in the first week and then holding the tension pretty good thereafter.

9. CanucksDynasty

On ClearTune
    Yonex VT80 w/ BG80 @ 27lbs = 1270 Hz
    Victor MX80 w/ VS850 @ 27lbs = 1246 Hz

Sounds about right.

10. CanucksDynasty

On ClearTune
    Yonex VT80LTD w/ BG66UM @ 27lbs = 1315Hz

11. carbonex21

carbonex21 Regular Member

I'm using an app called n-Track Tuner. It's free, and gives me a reading in Hz. Banging the strings with another racket or the palm of my hand gives seems to give an accurate and consistent reading.

Of course, the reading depends on the racket and string type, but I'm finding it a good comparative tool. It's interesting to see how much tension loss you get after a match. Seems to be just over 20Hz loss for me on a fairly newly strung racket, and strangely, I found the tension can go back up very slightly if the string rests for a while (and. that's not due to weather condition, because other rackets in my bag did not go up).

Anyone else have results using Hz measurements? Comparing tension loss of different strings, and with/without prestretch and so on.

Sorry if this info is elsewhere in the forum. I never seem to find much with the search function.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

^^^ Yep, I'm noticing a slight drop in freq of 10-15Hz immediately after an evening of play. But it'll be back up to normal the next day. BTW, for a change in 1lb tension, what do you find is the corresponding change in frequency? 30-50Hz is about what I'm noticing.

13. carbonex21

carbonex21 Regular Member

I've only checked my rackets strung at 26lbs. I feel that's a touch tight for me, so next time I will do 25lbs, and see how that translates in Hz. I'm sure your figure of 30-50Hz will be right.

For the record, some readings of rackets strung with BG65 on my Babolat Sensor (a constant pull machine) -

Victor MX80 with @26lbs = 1143 Hz
    AT900 LCW with @26lbs = 1129 Hz
    AT700 with @26lbs = 1127 Hz

14. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

Does anyone know how to set up the string section of this app? What would the string factor be for badminton strings?

15. visor

visor Regular Member

I think this app is more suitable for tennis strings and racket. There's too much variation in badminton string thickness ranging from 0.62mm to 0.73mm.

16. michael23

michael23 Regular Member

It's feeling that way. I've managed to fudge a few things in the settings which enables to me to get a baseline.

17. xgumbyx

xgumbyx Regular Member

What are you guys entering for raquet head size? I don't see these numbers published often. I managed to find something when I first tested the app but now that I have purchased it I can no longer remember what I entered.

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I'm experiencing the same problem...
    One month old BG80 (@30lbs) = 594.6 Hz

Do you have to change the settings or how come you have to double the frequency?

19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Either there is a bug or wrong setting in the app or you got some fake bg80!

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Your phone's mike is probably low quality and only picking up the lower overtones... hence only half...