Racket upgrade

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Godyu, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Godyu

Godyu New Member

Hi, I want to upgrade my racket to a high-end one. For now, the racket that I used is astrox 88d game, and the racket that I want to buy is either ryuga 2 or axforce 90 tiger/dragon, or should I just go for astrox 88d pro? Please help me choose one, thank you. :) sorry for my bad English.

2. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

Well, since you're using 88d game, the natural upgrade path would be to get the 88d pro, but what is the reason you want to upgrade to higher end? What about your current racket are you not satisfied with?

3. Budi

Budi Regular Member

In term of skill upgrade, coaching is what you need.
    For racket, its not upgrade or downgrade. Its more about how the racket could sync with your growth in term of stiffness & stability.

So, what do you want to achieve from expensive racket? What you find lack on your current racket?

If you just want new expensive toy, the obvious path are 88D Pro. The others would just be different racket which you might like or not coz its different characteristic, frame profile, & all.

4. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello

I'm here because yesterday I tried my friend's 88D Game for singles/doubles and it wasn't half bad.
    So I'm also interested in knowing the reason for your upgrade and then the follow-up experience.
    Thanks.

5. Godyu

Godyu New Member

Hi, the reason is that i have the chance to buy a new one, and i want to try some high end ones because i never had one before. Although i am just an intermediate player in term of technique, but my raw power is above average, so maybe i can get more solid feedback or feeling when using high end racket (i think), please correct me if I’m wrong

6. Godyu

Godyu New Member

I have the chance to buy a new one, so i want to try a high end racket. I want to know if high end one, give me more solid feeling when using it. My power is above average, so i often find that 88d game doesn’t feels solid, but it’s not that bad. I still can play with it.

7. Godyu

Godyu New Member

Hi, yes 88d game is good racket, good power and good maneuverability, for me. However, for me the racket doesn’t give a solid feeling, but it wasn’t that bad. I just have the chance to buy a new one, so i want to try some high end ones.

i know that racket doesn’t really effect to game play. Just want to try something new.

dnewguy likes this.
  8. BadmintonDave

BadmintonDave Regular Member

Power is nice, but you need speed to get to the shuttle. And doing powerful shots is not always the best tactic. Doing a full power smash at the wrong time means the opponent might defend it and push it into a big space, and because they use the energy of the shuttle that you just hit, if means they hit it and you won't have a lot of time to react and reposition your body / feet.

Feel free to try one of the racquets you have suggested. I've used lower end Astrox and Nanoflare racquets and there is noticeable feel difference when playing shots between them and the high end models in those ranges.

9. dnewguy

dnewguy Regular Member

Hello..

I know the feeling. I remember going through the thread, "best way to improve your game, not racket, nor your smash" in the forum under Techniques / Training, and successfully refocusing my energy on the game.

I will suggest you to go ahead with the purchase with a few things in mind..

1) If your technique/timing is sufficiently clean.
    2) If there is low to zero risk of breaking the racquet in a clash (doubles game/ newbie partner)
    3) There can be subtle changes in two racquets of the same batch.. so definitely a new racquet (high-end) might be more powerful in one or more departments but might be more demanding in others.
    Egs. When I tried the Voltric zf2 on the first day, i performed really well. But then afterwards i couldn't replicate the same performance + the soreness+ easy fatigue.

P.s- I have never owned a high-end racquet. I have so far tried to get more used to the racquets i already own by experimenting with the string/ string tension/ overgrips successfully.
    I play MD mostly (recreationally).

#9 dnewguy, Feb 3, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

For someone that never tried high end, saying solid feel are sound like psicological block. Many of us say solid feel thus your mind say it less solid without ever experience it urself. So i think, clean up ur mind & think it again what you really want.

Nothing wrong wanting to have new toy. My urge for new racket are always wanting new toy. Dont feel ashamed for it. As long you could afford it without robbing a bank & makes you happy goes for it.

If you really want to compare how good was high end one then like i said before the obvious path are 88D Pro or original 88D if you could find one. Why? It just a better version of ur current 88D Games, obvious & easier to compare. Than the others racket which are just different racket like Lining had different stiffness rating from Yonex for example.

11. Godyu

Godyu New Member

Yes, sometimes I can’t react properly too, definitely will do some practice haha.

Gonna think about it again to buy a new racket, so I won’t regret it. Thank you for responding to my thread :)

12. Godyu

Godyu New Member

Yes, i still needed a lot of practicing haha, especially in defensive positions.

Thank you for sharing and answering to my thread, definitely will think again about really buying a high end one, so i will not regret it and used it properly.

13. Godyu

Godyu New Member

Sometimes, when facing a better opponent, I can’t think clearly, because i know that i will lose haha. Will practice more to boost my confidence and game play.

I will do more research and look more reviews, for making sure to make a better decision.
    Thank you for sharing and answering my thread! :)