question about the term 'panhandle grip'

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ralphz, Dec 18, 2019.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

why do they call panhandle grip 'panhandle grip'?

I was once told that it is because that's how one would hold a pan..

I don't know much about holding pans, but somebody pointed out to me that that's not true you hold a pan with a thumb grip.. he's got a point.

so any idea where the name comes from? / why they called it that? i'd be interested to know who coined the term

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    dnewguy, Fidget, ralphz and 1 other person like this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Why do we call the sweet spot, sweet spot? I licked on several rackets the string bed but no area was sweet.

Ouchie and speCulatius like this.
  4. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

You need to use the panhandle grip and think about sweet pancakes!

5. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

It looks like what you are suggesting is that panhandle comes from the idea of how you'd hold a pan if you are going to hit somebody over the head with a pan.

I was speaking to a coach recently about this and he had quite a good response to this. He thinks that's not at all the reason why it's called a panhandle grip, as nobody does that with pans..

If you hold the handle of a pan underneath, like for a forehand netshot, then you see that is where the name comes from.

6. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

But you wouldn't use a panhandle grip for a forehand netshot. A panhandle grip describes the way beginners often hold the racket with the racket-face at a 90 degree angle from the forearm, making any proper technique on under or overhand shots impossible and severely limits the amount of power you can generate on overhead shots. It's probably the single most limiting factor for beginners and self taught club players everywhere.

The only time it might be used is when hitting the shuttle in front of you with your racket up.

7. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

You are not correct when you say that "you wouldn't use a panhandle grip for a forehand netshot" and "The only time it might be used is when hitting the shuttle in front of you with your racket up" But that is a question of technique rather than terminology. Please see https://www.badmintoncentral.com/fo...ts-would-you-use-a-panhandle-grip-for.187464/ you could watch and/or participate in that thread for that subject. As this thread I started is about terminology and is in the general section rather than the technique section. But that thread I refer you to is in the technique section and about technique specifically.