question about the front foot and singles serve

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by ralphz, Dec 15, 2021.

1. superlentivirus

superlentivirus Regular Member

so why are you keep ignoring the words " stationary position" in law 9.1.4??:D:D:D
    You are the one who should show us the example that you said it's not a fault.

2. superlentivirus

9.1.4. some part of both feet of the server and the receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3);

if the receiver lifts one of his/her foot during rally, and claims that he/she slides one of his/her foot during the server's backward movement of racket head.(also it's in milliseconds).
    supposed if what you said is right, how do you judge the time the receiver lifts his/her foot?

3. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    What? I even ask to stop at the word stationary, to discuss it's meaning.
    There I gave an example of rocking foot, which according to the rules has been accepted as stationary during the forward movement of the racket

4. superlentivirus

NO. in this example, the server doesn't move or slide his/her foot.

5. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    I never make super long posts. The rocking feet was my start to the discussion how to define stationary. Now you can explain how you understand the word stationary on serving. And because the rules are what they are let us be clear if we are talking about the moving during the forward movement of the racket or not

6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

There are three different foot movements that have been discussed.

-Back Foot sliding.
    -Front Foot stepping
    -Foot rocking.

Let's look at back foot sliding. Do you agree that the back foot sliding is fine when it is after the racket makes contact with the shuttle.(fine cos as soon as the racket makes contact with/hits the shuttle , the service is considered to be delivered/finished).

Let's look at front foot stepping. Do you agree that if the front foot steps while the racket is pulled back and the front foot finishes it's step before the racket is fully pulled back then the front foot is not doing any step by the time the racket head is brought forward, so it is fine.

Let's look at feet rocking. If at some point the front foot is on the heel and at another point the front foot is on the ball, and the front foot is not sliding, during service then do you agree that is fine. Some part of the foot is in contact with the floor. The heel contact point doesn't slide and the ball contact point doesn't slide. And with the back foot if at one point it is on the heel and ball and then shifts to the ball, and it hasn't slid during service , it has been stationary, then that's fine. If you watch any underarm serve(certainly I have seen for underarm high serve), they rock the back foot at least, pivoting off it to allow them to turn their hips. So that must be fine.

#46 ralphz, Dec 25, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  7. Simeon

Simeon Regular Member

Carpenter,Joiner
    Well composed questions Ralphz.
    If the answer will be dodging again I think I will not go on on this thread anymore, sorry

8. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

He isn't dodging. Look at his post #40 to me.

#48 ralphz, Dec 25, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  9. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

The rule doesn't just say stationary. If the rule just said stationary then rocking feet would be a foul.

10. daneferrari

daneferrari New Member

Should one of the legs be in full contact with the court?

11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

The only way a leg could be in full contact with the court, is if the court were a duvet or table cloth, wrapped round your entire leg.

The words of the rule, in this regard, are far more accurate and clear than the words you use.

"some part of both feet of the server and receiver must remain in contact with the surface of the court "

So any part of the leg above your feet don't have to be in contact with the court.

And it doesn't say the whole foot has to be in contact. Just part of both feet.

It's one bit of the rules that they've actually written reasonably clearly!

So it's allowing for, for example, the back foot to pivot on the ball of the foot. And it's allowing the front foot to shift the heel and then go flat. So it's allowing a kind of back and forwards rock and pivot to take place on the feet, for the serve(that we see on forehand high serve). That'd be why they talk of part of the foot. They mention stationary but they must be allowing for that rock-pivot movement at the feet, 'cos it's so standard and so must be why they mention part of the foot. But a foot can't come off the floor or slide along the floor, before contact. as, I doubt they'd count sliding as stationary.

#51 ralphz, May 2, 2023
    Last edited: May 3, 2023
    Cheung likes this.