Pros Pro Challenger 2 Parts

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by vienly, Nov 27, 2017.

1. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    Looking to pick up a Pros Pro Stringing Machine Challenger 2 for personal use, but I understand that machine is built to cater tennis/squash rackets.

1) Can I use the existing frame support on the machine for badminton rackets, or will I need to purchase badminton specific ones? Such as this

Pro's Pro Stringing Machine Badminton Racquet U Frame Support

1.png

They seem to cost about £11.95 and I'm guessing I would need 4 of those which would equal = £47.80

Or would these fit as a substitute?
    https://www.racquetdepot.co.uk/gamma-l-shaped-badminton-shoulder-adaptor-4-pack/

2) I also assume the existing fixed clamps aren't suitable, anyone recommend any good fixed clamps?
    My friend uses Penta clamps and only 3/5 teeth grips onto the string, pretty bad

Thank you for your support!

2. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

the best bang for your buck:
    -chudek sidesupports, use forum search/google.
    -aliexpress.com/store/product/AEF-badminton-racket-stringing-machine-stringing-tools-stringing-parts-clamps/619625_32719449035.html?aff_platform=aaf&cpt=1493916417629&sk=VnYZvQVf&aff_trace_key=9c44e3f6fa3d4f3a9b77814e55525661-1493916417629-03320-VnYZvQVf

Both parts are as good as it gets. I use them on my prospro challenger.

Buy great parts now, otherwise you end up buying twice.

3. emjay

emjay Regular Member

IT minion
    Personally I recommend not buying a Pro's Pro in the first place - too many quality issues that makes the job more frustrating. Do a search for the Superstringer machines here, the quality and features seem a lot better. Another alternative would be the Penta Premium 3600.

If you are set on going PP, the standard supports will work, you just need to turn them to the shorter side is in use. The white ones you've mentioned are for the smaller Shuttle Express. Having said that, the standard supports are awful and get in the way when stringing, so the Chudeks are the best option for most machines.

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Totally second that. If you get a new PP Challenger and count in the upgrades (the Chudek supports are a MUST imo), I'm pretty sure you will end up very close to the price of a Premiumstringer 3600 or a Superstringer T20 and yet you will still be stuck with the overall poor PP build quality.

5. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    If I can pick up a pro's pro challenger 1 or 2 for around £150 mark (ebay), wouldn't it make sense to buy that since the clamps would cost an extra £80, and chudeks £40, totally around £270?

Penta 3600 brand new is £300 on it's own without clamps or chudeks and that would push it to around £420.

#5 vienly, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Actually, it all depends on how tight your budget really is and how OCD you are with your equipment. If you have no problems with re-tightening or re-adjusting things regularly and if you can live with an overall a bit wobbly feel, then go with the Challenger plus some updates. On the other hand, the side supports and clamps of the PS3600 are way better than the standard PP ones which would also make it possible that you won't need to buy any upgrades for it. A PS3600 plus good clamps plus Chudek supports will make a hell of a machine that will play two leagues above the PP Challenger.

On a side note - buying a used Challenger from eBay could even be better than buyin a brand new one. From all I've heard, the old ones were of significantly better build quality than the current machines.

vienly likes this.
  7. Mr Arc2

Mr Arc2 Regular Member

I can only agree with this and that's what I did. I have one of the oldest ones. I added chudek sidesupports and the aforementioned clamps and am happy with it. Make sure to take apart the whole machine (!) and clean every part of it, this may take an hour or two but will certainly help improving consistency and duration of the stringjobs.

One thing that i am not totally happy with are the bases. I imagine this could be even worse with the newer versions of the challenger. If you take into consideration a potential replacement of the bases, you'll be in a better spot a new premiumstringer or superstringer.
    Clamp bases are really expensive... Also having semiautomatic bases would be nice.

vienly likes this.
  8. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    I'm interested in the Superstringers and going to the tennisman.de website they don't have anything in stock.
    Anywhere else I am able to purchase a Superstringer?

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Superstringer is a brand that is founded and owned by tennisman.de so you won't be able to get them anywhere else. AFAIK they will get in new stock around mid of december. Best to send them an e-mail to ask for the latest info.

vienly likes this.
  10. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    Would you recommend the SUPERSTRINGER S70 Badminton? I am purely going to use this for badminton only and for personal use (seems a bit overkill)

Would I need to replace the arm mounts with Chudek supports?
    I'm assuming those fixed clamps are good enough?

11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have seen this machine in reality and it's a solid thing. The clamps are the same as the linked ones from Aliexpress (AEF produces the Superstringer machines), the side support pieces are also well designed and a lot better for badminton than the PP or stock PS ones. Clamp bases are clearly better than PP and on par with PS I would say.

It also comes with load spreader bits on the main supports and with a lot of accessories (incl. 2 flying clamps and a string mover) so that you in fact don't need to buy anything else to get started. There is only one downside of the S70 that I can find: The S90 is better. :D

vienly likes this.
  12. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    lol there's always going to be something better and that's really stretching my budget.

My initial budget was around £250, but I guess I can spare another £110, making the S70 £360 :eek:

Thanks for all the support! Much appreciated

13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You're welcome. Having already gone the way from a PP Challenger to a Superstringer T20 myself, let me assure you that those £110 extra will be well invested. Especially as a beginner, you will highly enjoy a machine that supports you and doesn't stand in your way all the time. And once you start stringing for club mates or friends (which will happen sooner or later, believe me!), it will pay itself off in no time.

Ah, and don't forget to post a picture of your new machine (whichever it will be in the end...) once you have set it up.

vienly likes this.
  14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Superstringer T70 FTW!

15. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member