Predictions for GOLDs

Discussion in 'Olympics 2016 - RIO' started by AlanY, Aug 16, 2016.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    who doesn't? :p

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Men's Doubles Final:

I would pick China as slight favourites based on finals experience and Fu Haifeng's form. The only thing that would snag this is Zhang Nan's state of mind. I think the mixed defeat affected him a lot more than what most people think.

Despite Malaysians winning the group match, they are not yet stable and focused under pressure (specifically GVS). Besides, the group match wasn't actually played with intensity anyway.

Malaysian chances might improve should LCW be able to defeat Super Dan. Funny but I think in this Olympic competition, this Malaysian squad (all of them including Tee Jing Yee and Woon/Hoo) are actually playing as a team to distribute pressure equally and motivate each other forward.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

undeadshot likes this.
  3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You expressed exactly my concern too. But to be fair, Lin Dan commit more unforced errors than Srikanth throughout the match, no longer that uncharacteristic based on what happened to him in 2015. Still, it's surprising and alarming to see as this is the Olympics.

As Peter Gade said, we should see a different Lin Dan at Rio, yeah, different , all right, but not in the way I expected. What I wish to see is Lin Dan reminiscent of his heydays like in 2007 to 2012, not so much 2013 and after where he's become a transformed rallying stroke player as opposed to a fast and furious offensive player that we associate with Super Dan.

In G1 with Srikanth, Lin Dan's consummate stroke play was masterful , the kind that Lee Hyun Il would be proud of. Then what transpired in the following two sets was unexpected, he really gave us fans a scare, esp in the 3rd set when he was forced to do all the chasing, playing catch-up until the end. In my mind, I kept asking, why didn't he step up, inject pace and attack more, why, he hardly even jump-smash or dive to retrieve smashes. Nonetheless, to Lin Dan's credit and mental toughness, he persevered to prevail over his decade younger, fired up player who rose to the occasion playing above himself. I believe, a lesser player in Lin Dan's shoes would have caved in staring defeat in the face for the larger part of G3. It was only in the final lap that Lin Dan heaved himself up and spurted to the finishing line, much to the chagrin of his opponent who was left dazed, to my relief.

Even so, it wasn't the Lin Dan I wanted to see and deep inside I somehow still believe he could perform better than that. As kwun commented, Lin Dan has become an enigma the past few years. It remains to be seen what Lin Dan is up to, for too long he has kept us guessing - it is time for the mystery to be uncovered when he next faces his perpetual archrival Lee CW in the semifinals before he mounts the summit yet again for the third time as a triple Olympic gold Champion.

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Maybe Lin Dan would take more initiative tomorrow .... . The real dragon might come out

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The funny thing is at the 2013 WC, Lin Dan was already a different kind of player with a rallying stroke game when he beat LCW for the world title.

But I still want to see the Super Dan of 2007-2012 ! To me, that's the real Lin Dan. Hope my wish is fulfilled.

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Hi Uncle OTB....long time never talk too :p Too bad some people just have negative perception and immediately shot down limsy's post, unlike the old folks :)

Really miss the banters we usually had among CHN vs INA vs MAS fans back then. Heated...but fun :)

7. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Spanish banshee would start as favourite against the towering Indian lass in the Women's Singles final. Both players have been fearless in their approach to the game but the banshee is a bit faster on the turnaround and approach to the net. And being a leftie, Ms Marin would have some tactical advantages on court.

Having said that, Sindhu has overachieved and will be under no pressure of expectations. She could just spring a surprise. Regardless of result, both countries have created history.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Me too, those were the days.

INA and MAS fans can sit together and enjoy a meal but the same can't be said of CHN fans.

This is the Olympics and old members want to join the fun but some members behave as if this forum belongs to them. I believe some inactive members are here reading, definitely not "lurking". These comments may have prevented them from posting.

But I saw ants is back, in another thread.

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Nah... Tony has his own baddy club down in Orange County. He is not interested in becoming head coach of INA MD. If the price is right, who knows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'd be amazed and be the happiest person here if ever there's a time where peace and harmony, civility and cordiality were the order of the day. The good old days,indeed, whenever anybody refers to that, they only remember the good and conveniently ignore the bad. And since when can banters (not bickering?) be heated but fun, where there's so much animosity, racism, hate, jealousy, ill-will,narrow-mindedness,pettiness, double standard, hypocrisy, and ad hominem attacks - otherwise a certain member named azabaz-ipoh as far back as Dec 4 2007 wouldn't felt compelled to open a thread to appeal for peace. There you have it, historical proof of what the reality was.

By focusing my indirect response to limsy's post as a shot at him is a misrepresentation of the main thrust of what I truly intended which is to remind everyone of the principles and spirit of Olympism. Let me repeat :

https://www.olympic.org/the-ioc/promote-olympism

OLYMPISM IS A PHILOSOPHY OF LIFE, EXALTING AND COMBINING IN A BALANCED WHOLE THE QUALITIES OF BODY, WILL AND MIND. BLENDING SPORT WITH CULTURE AND EDUCATION, OLYMPISM SEEKS TO CREATE A WAY OF LIFE BASED ON THE JOY FOUND IN EFFORT, THE EDUCATIONAL VALUE OF GOOD EXAMPLE AND RESPECT FOR UNIVERSAL FUNDAMENTAL ETHICAL PRINCIPLES.

The goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practiced without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play.

The Olympic Charter https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/...rter.pdf#_ga=1.155884541.773557038.1471432534

11. blue.fired

blue.fired Regular Member

It's absolutely amazing that a nation of 1.25 billion people has a lifetime total of 1 individual Olympic Gold. For that reason alone, I'm rooting for Sindhu. But Marin is fast, aggressive and utterly fearless. Sindhu will also probably discover that her height is not much of an advantage with the 5'8 Spaniard.

Lin Dan, I dont even know. The score looked tense in the QF but he didn't seem to have any sense of urgency. Just went through the motions. That might be what being a class above your peers does to you. FWIW, I still like his chances.

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Ideally, I'd love to see the Super Dan reminiscent of his heydays 2007 - 2012, hopefully in his match with old foe LCW today. If not, at least the Lin Dan of 2013 WC and 2014 Incheon Asian Games will do well enough, I believe. Anything less is cause for worry.

Whatever, I've reason to believe Lin Dan knows what he's doing, when to do what - the two are perpetual archrivals and so familiar with each other, having played each other no less than 36 times, and today is their all-important encounter at the Olympics for the biggest prize in the last year(s) of their career. We should be in for a treat.

13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Ok - final prediction for Men's Singles:

It would be Lee Chong Wei's to take. As long as he does not start in the same vein as his match against Lin Dan, that is ....... Pressure will be mounting after the MD crown went to China, but he should not worry about getting the elusive Gold, just play the match the best that he can.

Even if he doesn't make it, he has done enough (in fact, too much) for Malaysian badminton and I wish him well in his future undertakings.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my take is slightly different.

purely in terms of skills, speed, LCW has it. there is no reason why LCW cannot win it.

but it is for him to LOSE. CL is a solid and very stable, but yet his consistency is his strength. if CL can frustrate LCW, or just shake his confidence a little, or tickle a nerve or two, then it will be doom for LCW.

I honestly don't see another gear for CL, he is what he is, and we have seen how he plays. there is no sudden aggression, no diving around, no fancy crazy play like LD.

visor likes this.
  15. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

LCW needs to go on court tomorrow with confidence. If CL can shake LCW's nerves, LCW can also do the same.
    Its up to how strong LCW mentally tomorrow after a close call against Lin Dan today.
    TBH, we always know LCW has all the skills required to win but somehow always crumble under pressure.
    He almost lost it again when leading 20 against LD in the 3rd set.
    Olympics is all about mental strength. A thin line that separate a gold medalist and a silver medalist :cool:

#55 xsakurax, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    You got three correct!!

AlanY likes this.
  17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I got 4/5 so far. Tomorrow will decide if I get 100% like the WC15.

azorjon and AlanY like this.
  18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    if LCW wins gold, it is the greatest comeback in human history:

From world no. 1
    to doping
    to suspension for 8 months
    to defeating his arch-rival and Greatest Player of All Time, Lin Dan

and finally

to winning the Olympic gold medal...

19. Rob3rt