pre-Asian Games news

Discussion in 'Asian Games 2010 - Badminton' started by ctjcad, Oct 1, 2010.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

2. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Become Seeded,Lin Dan Headache

GUANGZHOU, Kompas.com - Chinese Mega Star, Lin Dan claims are often stricken with dizziness when considering about his chances of gold medal Asian Games in Guangzhou.
    Lin Dan is a strong favorite in the Asian sporting arena is a party. He is considered better than defending champion Taufik Hidayat want any major current world rankings, Lee Chong Wei.

"I always feel dizzy whenever asked about my prospects in the event the Asian Games," said Lin Dan. "A lot of heavy opponent. In fact, the world's best players at this time almost all from Asia. So this is no different than the Olympics," said Lin Dan.
    Lin Dan rarely appear in the Super Series tournament, so now are third world. The 27-year-old, Lin Dan has won the world title, won the Olympic gold medal.
    While his opponent is commensurate with the achievement of Taufik Hidayat. Players Indonesia was once a world champion, won the gold medal the 2004 Athens Olympics and has just won the Super Series tournament in Paris, France.

http://olahraga.kompas.com/read/2010/11/09/19433220/Diunggulkan..Lin.Dan.Malah.Sakit.Kepala

3. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Indonesian Shuttlers in China: It’s Do or Die
    Dominic Menor | November 10, 2010

It’s hard to manage Indonesia’s expectations when it comes to badminton tournaments.

When its shuttlers compete, it’s no exaggeration to say that losing is not an option.

Except losing is exactly what Indonesian shuttlers have done a lot of in recent top-class competitions.

In the process they have lost the aura of invincibility that used to give the country’s best badminton players an added edge.

Look no further for evidence of how low badminton here has sunk than the predictions for the country’s shuttlers at the Asian Games in Guangzhou, China, which start on Friday.

“The realistic target for us is bronze,” national team head coach Christian Hadinata said when the draw for the Games was announced last month.

Taufik Hidayat, the two-time defending men’s singles champion at the Asian Games, was equally cautious.

“Let’s not talk about the gold yet,” Taufik said after the draw. “Just getting the bronze will be difficult.”

Whether such predictions really reflect a team in its twilight or Indonesia is merely playing mind games to throw off the competition is difficult to tell.

------------------------------------------------
    *Read completely : http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/badminton/indonesian-shuttlers-in-china-its-do-or-die/405986

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Lin feeling pressure of expectation

..this is the same news as posted by mikss above...different translation but the same usage of the word "headache"..

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...essure-of-expectation/articleshow/6893515.cms
    =============================================================
    Lin feeling pressure of expectation
    AFP, Nov 9, 2010, 11.41am IST

GUANGZHOU: Badminton superstar Lin Dan is starting to feel the pressure of expectation with the Asian Games just days away, saying he gets a headache whenever asked about how he will fare.

Described by many as the best badminton player ever, the 27-year-old pin-up is expected by his adoring Chinese fans to win the singles gold medal on home turf, but he faces a tough task.

While he is an Olympic gold medallist and three-time world championship winner, Lin failed to claim the Asian Games title four years ago in Doha, losing in the final to long-time rival Taufik Hidayat.

The Indonesian is in Guangzhou and determined to defend his crown, while Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei, the world number one, is also gunning for glory.

The feisty Lin, one of the biggest names in Chinese sport, said all he can do is try his best.

"I get a headache every time I am asked about my prospects for the Asian Games," he said.

"There are so many strong rivals. Actually, the world's best badminton players are from Asia, so it will be no different from playing in an Olympic Games."

Lin, who is down in the world rankings because so little has been seen of him on the 2010 Super Series circuit, has focused his season around being ready for the Asian Games, which officially open on Friday.

The badminton competition begins on Saturday

5. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    all the best to INA team, hope they can create some surprises - but of course they play their have to play at their best level - but possible is everything, just try and never give up!

6. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Friday November 12, 2010

The Star
    Lin Dan insists his focus is on the team event

CHINESE superstar shuttler Lin Dan has insisted his focus at the Asian Games is on the team event and not his own personal quest to win a first singles gold medal.
    “Team competition is my priority,” said Lin Dan, 27, considered by many to be the best badminton player of all time and one of the biggest names at the Games in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou.
    Lin Dan, an Olympic gold medallist and three-time world championship winner, failed to claim the Asian Games title four years ago in Doha, but claimed he was not concentrating on his own glory.
    “Of course every player wants to go from good to better but one should not be obsessed with it,” he told the Xinhua news agency.
    “Most of the world’s top players are in the Asian Games, so in a match here one little mistake could cost you victory.”
    The Asian Games badminton has both team and individual competition, with the all-powerful Chinese strongly fancied to make a clean sweep. — AFP

7. danielwong

Salesman
    Published: Thursday November 11, 2010 MYT 5:44:00 PM

Hidayat, Lin resume rivalry at Asian Games

GUANGZHOU, China (AP): The biggest names in men's badminton - two-time champion Taufik Hidayat and Beijing Olympic gold medalist Lin Dan - are set to resume their intense rivalry at the Asian Games.
    Hidayat won Asian Games titles in 2002 and 2006 and was a member of the Indonesian gold medal-winning team in 1998 at Bangkok.
    Lin has won the world championship three times in a row, but lost the last Asian Games gold-medal match at Doha to Hidayat.
    After practice Thursday, Hidayat said he was "mentally, and physically prepared" for the competition that begins Saturday.
    Hidayat said he'll go into his singles matches feeling relaxed and had no hesitation in naming Lin and No. 1-ranked Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia as his toughest opponents.
    "I feel no pressure, I think they are the ones who will feel the pressure," Hidayat said of his main rivals. "I think Lin will be looking to add the Asian Games gold to his Olympic and world titles. As for Lee, because he has no Olympic of world title, I think the Asian Games gold will be very special to him."
    No. 1-ranked Lee is coming into the event with a bad ankle, the injury coming when he won the singles gold medal at the Commonwealth Games in India last month. Lin has an advantage in head-to-heads, with 14 wins and seven losses, although Lee won their last meeting, at the Japan Open.
    China once ruled women's singles at the Asian Games - between 1970 and 1990 - before Hong Kong, Japan and South Korea halted its run.
    Chinese hopes rest on No. 1-ranked Wang Xin and third-seeded Wang Shixian after world No. 2 Wang Yihan was overlooked for selection due to inconsistent form.
    The biggest threat to China's chances in the women's competition could come from India's latest badminton sensation Saina Nehwal, who won gold at the Commonwealth Games. Nehwal is ranked third in the world, the highest ranked non-Chinese among the Asian players in the top seven.
    In men's doubles, countries which have never produced a top finish at the Asian Games are being considered as contenders.
    Taiwan's Fang Chieh-min and Lee Seng-mu - seeded fourth - have a realistic chance to win gold. The Taiwanese pose an even bigger challenge in the women's doubles, with Cheng Wen-hsing and Chien Yu-chin seeded No. 1 for the tournament.
    On Thursday, Chien, who will also played mixed doubles, said after training in Guangzhou that she felt she had a double shot at gold.
    "If I can't win one of them, I can still count on the other," Chien said. "But I'll pay more attention to doubles, after all, that's my strength."
    She said Yu Yang and Wang Xiaoli of China were a threat.
    "They are strong opponents," Chien said. "However, they've only been partners for a short time, so I think we have a shot to win against them."

my comment: hey, where is LCW????

8. danielwong

Salesman
    Asian Games: Mind games start early

NST
    12 Nov 2010

DEFENDING badminton singles champion Taufik Hidayat kicked off the mind games at the Asian Games yesterday, saying the pressure was on World No 1 Lee Chong Wei and home favourite Lin Dan. Indonesian Taufik, who was involved in a running feud with Lin Dan at the last Asian Games, in Doha in 2006, is one of the most controversial characters on the circuit and a temperamental talent.

"Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei, of course, but I feel no pressure," said Taufik, when asked who his toughest opponents would be at the Games.

"I think they are the ones who will feel the pressure," said Taufik, the World No 4, after training at Tianhe Gymnasium.

"I think Lin Dan will be looking to add the Asian Games gold to his Olympic and world titles.

"As for Lee Chong Wei, because he has no Olympic or world title, I think this Asian Games gold will be very special to him."

Chong Wei has had his preparations badly hit by niggling injury that at one stage seemed like it might rule him out of the Games.

The 28-year-old made it to Guangzhou in the end, but admits he is not at full fitness after trouble with his back and then an ankle.

"I'm not fully recovered yet, so I can do the normal training but nothing too strenuous," said Chong Wei after a training session.

"I'm prepared for every match and every strong opponent."

Lin Dan, touted by many as the best player ever, has never won gold in the Asian Games singles, but will be fully expected to wipe that blemish from his record when the action gets under way next week.

He appeared to attempt to dampen expectations, saying his focus is on the team event, where it will be a major surprise if the hosts do not storm to glory in both the men's and women's.

"Team competition is my priority," said Lin Dan, 27, an Olympic gold medallist, three-time world championship winner and one of the biggest names at the Games.

"Of course every player wants to go from good to better but one should not be obsessed with it," he told the state Xinhua news agency of his quest for a singles gold.

Games organisers will be hoping there is no repeat of the ill-feeling that rumbled on throughout the event four years ago, when Indonesia and China -- and particularly Lin Dan and Taufik -- squabbled off court.

Tensions were sparked when then-Olympic champion Taufik branded Lin Dan arrogant and said he was disliked by other players.

Taufik rubbed Lin Dan's nose in it by beating the super star Chinese 21-15, 22-20 in a tense singles final. -- AFP

9. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

"As for Lee Chong Wei, because he has no Olympic or world title, I think this Asian Games gold will be very special to him." said Taufik

ouch... that hurts... hopefully LCW will show his true BOLEH color.... BOLEH :)

10. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Any update news about INA camp from Guangzhou??

#30 miksss, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  11. majyun

majyun Regular Member

Haha, TH and his big mouth. Can he pull the rug under from Lin Dan again this time? He was lucky 4 years ago. Let see whether he still has his magic left.

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Well, the truth hurts...just hope LCW ankle injury would not affect him, LCW-LD final in AG would be great but first there is CJ that LCW has to deal with...and of course, upsets could screw all up.

13. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

If LCW wins MS Gold, I think he will be a different player from then on... AE + AG should boost his confidence to a new level. He should be able to enter big tournaments more relaxed.

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Of note for badminton fans, during the opening ceremony Gao Ling was one of eight selected to carry in the OCA flag and Fu Haifeng read the athletes oath.