Power pads/leather strips on main strings on head of racket..?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by asmd6230, Mar 26, 2021.

1. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

[​IMG]

This came across me.... I've never seen a badminton racket strung with, from what i can tell are tennis racket power pads...

Thoughts??

Attached Files:

2. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I have already used pieces of leather like seen on the photo. On cheap Babolat rackets for a girl in my club to prevent string breakage or damage when starting the mains (she liked BG66 and holes and grommets weren't top quality on this frame, so I remembered I had a piece of tennis leather grip, I cut it and placed little pieces at 12 and 6 o'clock during the stringing process). It worked, no early breakage of the string due to the added protection of the leather, but it changed the balance of the racket, head-heavier than it was already. One piece of leather at the top and two at the bottom have noticeable weight, even if you cut them after the stringjob at the right shortest length. The other possible issue is string damage at the top due to risk of friction, kwowing the string goes beyond the frame in this area.
    So if you need extra protection for thin gauge strings, it could help, but it changes the balance of the racket. So if you need to add weight to the head of the racket, homemade power pads like these could help, since they will stay in place (no glue and no adhesive tape needed).

EDIT : I did it for another racket at the bottom, because I didn't have the right length of U grommet for holes B1B2. Instead of using the optimal U grommet I used normal grommets and the little strip of leather, it was fine too, but still add weight to the frame ...

#2 flyingcords, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  3. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

asmd6230 likes this.
  4. asmd6230

asmd6230 Regular Member

more so as to why one would put them on a badminton racket. playing devils advocate here, if a racket is damaged, you put it out to pasture, done. the whole fix it thing and restore it to specs way not within manufacturers design was and is a myth... maybe held in (i leave this blank)............

would love to hear otherwise.

BTW. these are not strips of home made cut leather.. these from what i can tell are power pads.