Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    No offense, is your opponent really Bezirksoberliga? Even if they are the Schlusslicht, there seems to be a difference compared to NRW (Bezirksliga), which is also the 7th division. :confused:

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Wow. That is 7th? Bezirksliga is 8th here...and I agree. The MD opponents really seem weak even for that (most likely Kreisliga/Kreisklasse material...?)
    [1] 1. Bundesliga
    [2] 2. Bundesliga
    [3] Regionalliga
    [4] Oberliga
    [5] Niedersachsen-Bremen-Liga
    [6] Landesliga
    [7] Verbandsklasse
    [8] Bezirksliga
    [9] Bezirksklasse
    [10] Kreisliga
    [11] 1. Kreisklasse
    [12] 2. Kreisklasse
    [13] 3. Kreisklasse

Oh, and what became apparent to me while watching your XD - your timing on the jump smashes is wrong. You hit the shuttle too late, losing a lot of angle. You have a decent jump, there's no need for that. Also, you appear to be using a tension that's slightly too high, missing some power on backhands and mis-hitting on other occasions.

#2442 j4ckie, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  3. alex292

alex292 Regular Member

Student
    most of their players were from their second team (B-Klasse) so you are right, it doesn't look like Bezirksoberliga :) They have 4 more players, that are much better, but they only scored one tie in the entire season and lost everything else.
    Next week we'll play our last match this season against a much better team. I will try to record that match to give you a better impression of our league. With improved opponents my level of play usually also improves.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Haha jeeeeeez they still play Bezirksliga? :D That XD lady looked like she took up the racket a few weeks ago :D Edit: figures they're last there as well. Did they lose a lot of players before the season or something?
    Ah well. Let's see how you look against better opponents, but if you find yourself struggling to push yourself against weak players, try to set yourself goals that are actually a challenge - keep them under 10, score a point by putting the shuttle on somebody's chest, score a direct point by 'showing' a net shot then flicking it over them,......and most of all - keep moving your feet!

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    For NRW:

[1] 1. Bundesliga
    [2] 2. Bundesliga
    [3] Regionalliga
    [4] Oberliga
    [5] Verbandsliga
    [6] Landesliga
    [7] Bezirksliga
    [8] Bezirksklasse
    [9] Kreisliga
    [10] Kreisklasse

TBH the XD opponents played IMO like a hobby group or Kreisklasse for NRW standard. The service, errors, shots and tactics made me think this way. No offense. I think it's a good idea of just uploading difficult and tight games instead of easy-gos. ;)

6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    @Alex. Just scanned through your 4 videos. There were a lot of short rallies from both sides (2-3 shots). You may try to get the rallies going first, instead of trying to force anything. Or was the video recording affecting you in any way?

Some specific I just noticed:

1. You're a tall fellow, toeing the service line, receiving in XD from opposing man (away from service line). Yet you made error hitting into the net. Even in another occasion when you returned net on right hand court, the timing seemed late. My suggestion here is that you may review if your use your racket leg to explode/push forward, and get your racket reached out to make contact with the shuttle at net top (rather than waiting for it to come to your racket). Perhaps your left foot could explode forward more (now seems too tiny).

2. Your backhand may need some work. In the XD games, you chose back hand in one rally for a shot that I suspect may be high enough for your forehand. Nevertheless, your backhand swing was slow (very slow). I'm not sure if that was an exception, but if it's not, you may want to work on speeding it up. In another occasion, you cleared, but to the middle, too low to pass opponent interception. If that was meant to be attacking, a straight shot would have been better, esp. I would think your opponent (in that game) couldn't side-jump to intercept it. If it was defensive, still, it probably would have been better to go straight.

3. In MD, why were there so many flick serves (your intention to do flick practice), shown in beginning of your videos?

#2446 raymond, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  7. aylf24

aylf24 New Member

Student
    Hi,

I posted in this thread awhile ago and really appreciated the feedback you guys gave me. One of my games at a tournament this past weekend was recorded so I thought I'd share it. I'm wearing white playing with the guy in yellow. Overall I think I played a good match but luck wasn't really on our side this time as you can see by the final point. Last time you all suggested me to try raising my contact point on overheads and I've been working on that. However when playing a tournament I tend to go back to old habits and totally lost my overhead timing halfway through the third set. Again any feedback is appreciated.

jlimzq likes this.
  8. Arunava Nag

Arunava Nag New Member

Hello,
    I am a graduate student in USA. I have been playing badminton for sometime, but never had an opportunity to receive proper formal training. However all that I have learnt is from fellow players and watching videos. I play club tournaments sometimes (got a bronze in the last one). But I am aware my game has several mistakes and lack of basic and proper techniques. So, I am sharing two videos of a casual Saturday practice game where I am the one in white shoes. Kindly if my game-play is studied and some comments about the mistakes I make in my techniques, shots, foot work, racquet grip and also how can I improve them is advised, it would be really great. Also my friend who is playing opposite to me would be glad and thankful as well if someone advises his game too. I(white shoe) am using a YonexArcSaber 4Dx, my string is bg80 at 24lbs tension. The shuttle is Aeroplane excellent grade EG1130. Thanks a lot in advance.

Videos:

9. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Just a couple quick notes. This is to be expected for someone who hasn't had formal coaching so it's just fundamental stuff. For one, it looks like you hold your racquet weirdly. It looks like you're using a panhandle grip on most/all of your shots.
    also, your footwork is kind of unstable. It could be a lack of physical leg strength, but it could also be lack of comfort with the proper movements. I would recommend slowly doing shadow footwork on a court by yourself and just focusing on making sure that you are balanced and moving efficiently.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

10. Arunava Nag

Arunava Nag New Member

Thanks @decoy I am working on my footwork, and certainly very uncomfortable while most of my play. ... One reason for my weird grip could be, I am putting recently more focus on my weak back clears, for which you need a pen handle grip, and I am mostly concious about whether I am doing it properly, so while in a game the transition is not happening properly. Any suggestions on that?

11. decoy

decoy Regular Member

You shouldn't panhandle for backhand clears. I'd say that's even worse than using panhandle on forehands. You should go take a look at the grip guide on badmintonbible. It's very well written. I would link it but I'm on mobile

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

12. Arunava Nag

Arunava Nag New Member

@decoy yea i just checked, sorry i used the wrong term. Yea I do that bevel grip, and might not be transitioning well while playing.

13. Invigor

Invigor New Member

My friend had earlier posted a video of us playing, I'm posting another video here for myself. Any comments/suggestions about what/how I can improve would be greatly appreciated. I've edited out downtime between rallies. I have also created a more detailed thread in the techniques/training forum here.

I'm the guy in the black shoes and white socks.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Had a fun session testing out different rackets for the new season. Leaning slightly towards the N80TD, but haven't had much time with the N80 and will need to restring the N90iii to compare fairly....

I'm the tall guy with the white shirt, btw ;)

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hmmmm. First thing I noticed is that both of you are fairly upright in your stance, so that's a first thing to improve. Your footwork is otherwise pretty good for this level, so I wouldn't focus on it - but you could try to actually stop your lunges on your right foot, instead of coming forward with the left as well so often.
    Technique-wise, there's a lot a coach could help you out with. Starting off, you grip your racket turned too far towards a panhandle grip on your forehand, and dont seem to employ the thumb a lot on your backhand. Also, you dont pronate/supinate a lot. I'd recommend looking at videos that show the proper grip in detail (I remember sth like that being on YouTube), and trying it out in drills/training (trying to implement basic stuff like that in matches is tough, and will almost always weaken your performance. Applies to footwork as well, if you want to change sth about it, try it dry first, then in training drills with the shuttle and lastly in matches.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Played a recreational tournament over the last 2 days ('fun tournament' if you translate the German term literally :D). Didn't actually have much fun on Saturday (waited 6hrs for the first match, played 2 shitty singles matches), but Sunday was great. 2 out of 3 matches were very fun, and against very good opponents. We lost the 2nd against 2 guys from the club that hosted the tournament, but it was great fun anyway - we kind of expected that loss, seeing how they play 2 divisions above the one I competed in last season :D
    The taped match is the last group match and was really fun as well. Our opponents had been sitting near us all day (by chance), and were fairly relaxed and very friendly. One of them (you'll know which) actually won the MS category and was - in my eyes - the best player on court, and not just by a small margin :D
    Went back to my trusty N50-II in this one, seeing how I prefer towel grip with hot&humid conditions like these (people were starting to sweat just from hitting the shuttle back and forth a couple of times). Can't say it was the wrong choice! :)

Anyhow, here it is. Enjoy!

PS: I'm the tall guy in black, wearing the orange/grey shoes ;)

17. vibgyor1111

vibgyor1111 Regular Member

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_3-YplaMGKLUjh3YlF4dTJvQXM

Not sure if the link will work. Testing. I'm in all black in the near court. I have a lot of weaknesses. Been playing regularly around 1.5 years. Backhand is pretty terrible. Footwork is lacking. Any other comments/criticism/tips would appreciated. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Just started playing properly again after a rather rocky 12 months of slight injuries (golfers elbow), trying out other sports and real life getting in the way. Thought aside from the blazing misses at the net I was doing OK (i'm in all black with the black + white shoes).
    Don't worry too much about tips for improvement- we're just having some friendlies here- the intensity wasn't 100%, just thought I'd share what I thought was quite a fun game! (After we changed ends it gets a bit better ;) )

#2458 AimUk, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  19. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Just me and a friend playing some friendly singles.

Im the one in PINK, with my new SHB 02 LTD in purple and yellow. Just wearing them in.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

But....but....I wanna establish superiority! By posting a largely useless comment telling you to improve the one glaring weakness a blind man could see...!
    Heh. It was fun to watch. Especially the missed net kill(s) :D
    What I find amusing is that you mention 'real life' getting in the way as if badminton wasn't part of it :D It's not gaming, you know... :p