Post Malaysian Open Final (Men's Doubles)

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by badMania, Jul 10, 2005.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Just came back from a short weekend break in Shenzhen and could only post today. Anyway, managed to catch up with all the results except for the final between Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei while I was in Shenzhen.

Of course, I am thrilled that Candra/Sigit won a second title in a row and 4 titles overall since they were paired up again last autumn. Their record this year is very impressive! With the exception of All England (when they lost to Luluk/Alven in Round 3), they are in the finals of 5 tournament, winning 3 of them and losing the other 2 to Eriksen/Hansen. The other defeat was to Fu/Cai in the Sudirman Cup (when Indo was already down by 0-2).

No doubt, they are on course to win a second world title in a month and at the current form, only Luluk/Alven, the chinese pair of Fu/Cai and those two dangerous danish pairs can threaten their ambition. They have beaten a;; these pairs in the past two weeks. In the WC, they will be the second seed, below Eriksen/Hansen and will be kept apart from the top seeded Danish in until the final. The third seed will be Luluk/Alven, the fourth seed will be Paaske/Rasmussen.

Logically, the 1st and the 4th seed and either 2 of the 5th to 8th seed will be grouped in the top half of the draw, while the 2nd, 3rd and another 2 seeded pairs will be in the other half. Looking at this arrangement, Eriksen/Hansen is likely to be grouped with Paaske and Rasmussen and they will face each other in the semi-final if things go according to ranking. Meanwhile, Luluk/Alven and Candra/Sigit will be the other semi-finalists (again, according to ranking).

Now, what about the four other seeded pairs? They will be Fu/Cai (5th seed), Boe/Mogensen (6th seed), Jung/Lee (7th seed), and finally Chan/Koo (8th seed). Hopefully, Fu/Cai and Jung/Lee will be in the top half of the draw, while Boe/Mogensen and Chan/Koo will be in the second half of the draw...hehe...that way, it will smooth things for the Indo pairs :)

I agree that Luluk/Alven is still the more inconsistent pair compared to Candra/Sigit, but, if Fu/Cai and Jung/Lee are kept apart from them, they should have no problem dealing with Chan/Koo or Boe/Mogensen (although they lost to the Danish pair last week).

Hopefully, Candra/Sigit can win another world title before they decide to retire (which could be in a couple of years time, considering that they are 30 this year). As for Luluk/Alven....they need to be more consistent...and once the old pairs like Candra/Sigit and those two evergreen Danish pairs retired, they should only have Fu/Cai and Jung/Lee as their main rivals.

#1 badMania, Jul 10, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2005
  2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    My thinking

I think Chan/Koo of Malaysia is not a threat all, however, watch up the youngster Tan Bin Shin/Ong Soon Hock as this pair may create upset especially with the addition of another high performance coach Rexy. Li Mao has make impact on Lee Chong Wei, the style of play, the speed, the attack, ... Let's hope Rexy can do something on this young pair in one short month. If I am not mistaken, Limpele and Eng Hian also were invited for the WC? If so, don't count them out.