Poll: BWF World Championships 2018 - Men's Singles

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by pcll99, May 14, 2018.

?

Which two players will meet at the Men's Singles final of BWF World Championships 2018?

Poll closed Jul 28, 2018.
  1. Viktor Axelsen

60.0%
  2. Son Wan Ho

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Kidambi Srikanth

10.0%
  4. Chen Long

16.7%
  5. Shi Yuqi

16.7%
  6. Chou Tien Chen

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lee Chong Wei

26.7%
  8. Lin Dan

13.3%
  9. Kenta Momota

36.7%
  10. Ng Ka Long, Angus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  2. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Voted for Axelsen as I think he’s back in top form wih a lot of motivation and he’ll thrive in this environment (he loves China and its culture) but I cast my other “invisible” vote for Momota who seems to be in good form.

3. djake

djake Regular Member

Dr
    This is hard. But I’ll cast my vote for a romantic swansong encounter between LD and LCW.

Btw, I agree that KM need to be in the poll too.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sorry, although I too agree KM has a good chance of making to the final, I created the poll based on the top 10 ranking as of 14 May 2018. KM is currently ranked 13th. This forum only allows 10 options to choose.

In any event, I can't add KM to the list after the poll been created. Sorry.

5. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Hmmm... not adding the Asia Champion makes for a less interesting poll. I am biased, of course.

As with the WS poll, there could have been a check-box added for "other". And some of these players should not even make the list. Has Angus won any individual tournament recently?

6. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Very interesting that so far SYQ has zero votes and CL has 4. Goes to show how reputation often plays a bigger role than actual performance. Not only is Shi the current All England Champ (where he completely outclassed CL), has beaten CL in two straight games in the Thomas Cup prep, he was also the only top player able to outplay Momota at the Asia Championships over prolonged periods of the match.
    The best Chinese player at the moment without a doubt and very underrated.

#6 Cunning Linguist, May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Rob3rt, thyrif, skhai91 and 3 others like this.
  7. Ronster

Ronster Regular Member

Can't vote for Momota so i voted for VA and LCW instead, would've wanted a VA vs KM final.

8. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Its a pity that I think the outcome of this poll does not represent the actual result since I guess there are lots of us that want to vote for Momota

9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Why Kento Momota's name was not included in the poll?

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Due to popular demand, this thread replaces the previous thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...world-championships-2018-mens-singles.176568/

The poll of the previous thread was based on the top 10 ranking as at 14 May 2018. However, since a lot of people had demanded to have Kento Momota as an option, I have therefore created this new thread.

With the greatest respect, I have not included PHS and NGL as options for this new poll (since this forum only allows ten options). I have now replaced PHS and NGL with "Kento Momota" and "None of the above; please specify" respectively. As such, the ten options appearing in this poll are as follow:
    • the top 8 men's singles players (as at 15 May 2018),
    • Kento Momota (currently ranked 13th), and
    • "None of the above; please specify"
    The poll for women's singles is at the following thread.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-2018-qualification-seeds-predictions.176540/

#10 pcll99, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    BeeKi, Sundis and kurako like this.
  11. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    #11 pcll99, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    stanleyfm, Baddyforall and kurako like this.
  12. BeeKi

BeeKi Active Member

I'm always bias on Momota. Wish the final will be VA&KM. I'm ready for a new era of MS badminton as LCW said. Maybe SYQ and KS want to challenge too.

kurako likes this.
  13. Baddyforall

Everybody have their own opinion. I put KS vs Victor as finals. That would be a perfect scene for me. Yay...

14. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

Hope: Viktor vs Momota

Out of the entire list, Srikanth and Chou probably have the least chance to enter the finals.

In reality, will wait for the participant list and recent performances to decide.

15. Baddyforall

Dont judge a player based on recent performances. That may fool you.
    Kento came and took BAC. Anybody guessed it?.
    But he did it. Similar way, if Srikanth is in form, nobody can stop him. Chou tien chen always a 'ok' player . He is hanging on to the top 10 list based on his participation. Srikanth , Victor and Kento all three had proved that they can rule badminton world.
    Somewhere in internet , i have found that some top nation has already started to tackle Victor as well as Srikanth. Srikanth started to lose some of second stringers with whom he did not lose before.
    This World championships will see 4 chinese, 4 japanese, 4 indians, 3 Thailand(if i am not wrong) etc .for Men's singles.

Srikanth has beaten LCW in recently concluded Team event. And lost twice to him later, not to any other player .

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

16. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yes, he nailed All England title last March but don't forget his opponent in final, none but his illustrious senior Lin Dan where he's certainly very familiar with Lin's style and felt no pressure at all. His mental department is still questionable in major event despite he clinched Youth Olympic Games gold medal against teammate Lin Guipu four years ago in same venue of upcoming BWF WC. Viktor Axelsen, Lee Chong Wei, Srikanth Kidambi and the comeback Kento Momota certainly will be very tough opponents to overcome for this young man.

With the aging Lin Dan and less motivated Chen Long, China has no many options in their next generation squad for Tokyo 2020 project, Shi Yuqi is the only hope as Xue Song and Lin Guipu had disappeared from international scene due to injury.

17. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

While I certainly didn't expect Momota to win the BAC as he hadn't played at high levels for a year, but he was previously a top 10 player before being banned from international matches. To a certain level, I'm confident that he could at least reach the semi-finals based on his form before the BAC. He wasn't that rusty despite not playing for a year.

Of course, recent performances may not indicate anything as anything can happen before a major competition and affect their performances. Or they suffer a total meltdown (remember Lee Chong Wei losing at the first round to Brice Leverdez last year?) But it's something that's easily observable and partially, because good performances may boost their confidence and they can achieve certain results.

Another factor is consistency. In this list, all of them perform pretty consistently. There are some interesting results here and there, but overall, they are doing quite well.

But if I'm really going to bet who's going to be in the finals, I would be looking at various data and statistics to maximize my chances of winning the bet, even if there's a slight chance of getting it wrong (e.g. dark horse). But isn't that's what betting is all about?

18. Cury78

Cury78 New Member

Don't forget Ginting. The super yoyo. He can beat anyone if his mood is right, hehehe.

19. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

did you vote for him in this poll then?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.