Playing Safe over Playing Risk?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Daniel2207, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Daniel2207

Daniel2207 Regular Member

As a county player, we are often taught simple basic shots and repetition to improve consistency. However, personally I am a player that thrives of risk shots and the unconvetional shots much like Kevin Sanjaya. Obviously very few people have Kevin's skills but from your guys point of view would you say its harder to develop consistency or the mindset to play creative shots.

I often win most of my games and have now resulted to playing risky shots. How do you guys play interested to see what people think?

2. Signature

Signature Regular Member

Unconventional shots are a double edged sword in my opinion.

Whilist in the lower levels of competetive play the "unconventional shot" is a medium risk - high reward play. The opponents doesn't have the tempo to get an advantage if they read your deceptive shot. But as you go further up the rankings the shot becomes much riskier with a very small reward (maybe gaining the attack at best). This is an easy way to plateau where you beat lower level players cause they can't reach the shot but it will be very hard to beat higher level teams if you rely on deception only.

A player should never rely on being deceptive, because even your opponent can learn to expect the unexpected, but if you put enough pressure in your regular play a deceptive/risky shot can net an easy point. :)

ucantseeme and Fidget like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Very important to ascertain this - are you a doubles players or a singles player?

4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

It's only risky if your consistency is low. Kevin's unconventional shots rarely result in an error. So when he's playing those shots he isn't playing risky. He just needs to take care to use the shots when they can be played and not when it would be a poor decision.

Sometimes an unconventional shot is a bad choice even if executed perfectly. If the openings aren't there or your opponent is balanced and ready to return anything you might throw at him, then a more conventional shot might be a better idea, waiting for a better opportunity.

Playing high risk is generally a bad idea, because you will make lots of unforced errors.

The only time I could justify playing risky is when playing a better opponent who I will never beat with my consistent shots. When you have nothing to lose, all-or-nothing shots start to make a lot of sense. And when you have a good day, and everything works, you'll win.

ucantseeme, Cheung and LenaicM like this.
  5. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

Well said. It is always fun to throw in a deceptive here and there or try something risky. It makes the game of Badminton fun and make your regular game more unpredictable for the opponent, but like you said, better do something risky when at least there is an opening for it or to move your opponent where you want him to be and not just for the sake of it.

SnowWhite likes this.
  6. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

It's definitely fun to play some risky shots, and on a club night when there are no stakes I try to kill every single netshot I can get my racket behind. When you get in the flow and everything works, it's the most enjoyable feeling in badminton. And its good practice as well. However if it doesn't work you're just playing like... not so good.

So in a match when there are stakes it's better to focus on minimizing mistakes rather than scoring points. A couple of brilliancies don't justify mistakes. you don't want your opponents to get their points easily.

There's nothing wrong with deceptive shots of course, as long as they're consistent.

Cheung and LenaicM like this.
  7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Kevin is great because he does both. Sometimes he plays just normal shots, and sometimes he plays more inventive shots. Some rallies he plays really consistently and high margins, and some rallies he takes more chances. And he has a world class partner.

The more easily they are trouncing the opposing player, the more adventurous he gets.

So its pretty obvious: learn those skills with diligence and care. Learn to play all the different shots from all the different situations. Don't practise one set of shots in training and then use others in matches: actually go out of your way to practice and master complex and difficult shots. If you do this now, you will learn to play them all with high degrees of accuracy and reliability. It doesn't just appear from nowhere - it appears from 15 years of training and refinement. So go away and master the simple and basic shots, and then ALSO master the more complex and interesting shots.

When you have the ability to play lots of interesting shots with a high degree of skill, you can then combine that with your natural inclination of playing more risky shots. Whether you SHOULD play risky shots or not depends on:
    1. whether the shots are winning you rallies, or losing you rallies. Don't make excuses about this either, be realistic. If playing safe would win you 80% of rallies, and playing risky would win you 60% of rallies, then playing risky is the wrong tactic to be using by itself. Much better to use a combination of safe and risky.
    2. whether you have actually mastered the shots. If you haven't put in the TRAINING, then I don't think you are justified in playing the shots. So put in the effort and then reap the reward.

I think that some people cannot play creatively because they do not have the inclination to do so.
    I think that some people cannot play creatively because they do not have the technical ability to do so.
    I think that some people cannot play creatively because they do not have the speed to do so.

Kevin doesn't play these shots without confidence in himself, in his partner, and in his training. And you get that through hard work technically and physically. You have posed your question as an "either/or" - should I do one thing? Or the other? My view is you should be mastering both. You are being taught the basics by your county teams because they are the foundation of success i.e. you cannot possibly succeed without the basics. Without an incredible defence, Kevin would lose every match. Without a reliable smash, he would always be under pressure. Without an incredibly quick and reliable partner, he would be putting his partner in trouble, rather than creating exciting badminton.

So just master those basics quickly, and then move onto the fun stuff. (that doesn't mean learn the basics first, but prioritise them first in training, and reserve some time for practising other shots)

ucantseeme, LenaicM and SnowWhite like this.
  8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

For me it depends on the game and the opponent(s). Normally I play safe and consistent. But if I know that my opponent(s) is/are better and there's no way I'm gonna beat them with my "normal" playing it safe style, I will try the riskier shots.

For example, if my opponent in singles has a very solid base game and stronger stamina and running game than me, I will try to finish the rally early, by playing smashes towards the lines, going for tight net shots, risky deceptions and so on. I might still lose the game, but in that situation I would lose anyways, even if I play it safe. Just one example.

That is all in competition, though. In training matches I try to improve and do the right thing/tactics, if that makes sense.

LenaicM likes this.
  9. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

A few things about Kevin.:)

Kevin did poorly back in Singles even with his high level of skills and deception shots back in his first few years after joining his club at age 11. He had good anticipation, good footwork, good skill sets and all but he couldn't progress at all. After a couple of unfruitful years, the coaches who still believed in his potential transferred him to double section and that was when he started to excel under his coach in the club Sigit Budiarto (who himself was quite an adventurous player).
    So definitely Kevin's playing style is not something he can do on his own without the right partners, the right guidance, the right training, the right reflexes, the right vision and a natural game sense.

In some interview he was asked about how he could produce those creative shots and how he trained for them, he just said he didn't know how but he just played the shots based on how he felt he should do or where to place them. It would only come from loads and loads of basic training and practices. After you had it consistently and perfectly then you will start to notice new things, you can try varying your shots and learn how to place the shuttle wherever you want with precise from any position.
    I think these kind of risky shots can only work if you had mastered all the basic safe play techniques and you had total control of your body.

Also, Kevin only plays his creative shots when he senses it is the right moment and the right selection of shot to catch the opponents off guard and to create a better opportunity for him or his partner.

So it would be much more effective if you could do both, safe play with some addition risky shots in between, I think:D

Manong, speCulatius and Cheung like this.