Playing in Los angeles

Discussion in 'USA West' started by Bluechalice, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Bluechalice

Bluechalice Regular Member

hi...I am new to this forum...I used to play since I was in elementary school...and have always been my fav game...I stopped playing since 1999 and I wanna start playing badminton again and was wondering if theres any recommendations...I live in Los Angeles area...pretty close to downtown and hollywood...I would like to get back in shape to play more often and eventually I would like to compete in tournaments...Please advise on where and how I can start my way...
    I was also wondering...with tournaments like California open...US Open...etc...how does one qualify to compete in those tournaments? or can anyone just join? Does one have to be a member to a certain badminton club?

2. maghbazar

maghbazar Regular Member

3. wickeddrop

wickeddrop Regular Member

Which part of LA are you in? What is your level of play, casual, competitive?There are several places that you can play. Personally, the best place to play would be:

Mar Vista Rec Center on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7-10pm, Cost: $4 but they provide you with all the feather shuttles that you need and there are players of all levels there. Please note that they are closed this monday and will be reopening on the 8th of Sept

Los Angeles Valley College, Tuesday and Fridays from 7-10pm Cost $2, bring your own birds.

Los Angeles Pierce College, Saturdays from 6-10pm, cost $2 or $3, bring your own birds.

Santa Monica City College, Sundays from 9am - 8pm, cost $4 or $2 with student id, bring your own birds.

Westchester recreation center, Wednesdays from 8-10pm, cost $2, all the feather birds you want are provided.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, you can email or pm me.

4. Bluechalice

Koreatown

[Hi...thanks for writing back...I live in koreatown...near wilshire and western....I can say I play pretty well...now I am 27 and I have played since like 10....I used to live in malaysia and we play almost everyday...
    which of the place is closest to me? I prefer places where they have later hours and on fridays/saturdays/ and sundays....I play both singles and doubles...

5. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

You can try San Gabriel Valley Badminton Club (SGVBC) in Rosemead, probably 30 minutes drive for you.

Direction, take I-10 East, exit Rosemead Blvd. Go South on Rosemead Blvd and turn left on on Telstar (the first light). Pass a 4 way stop and the club is on your left.

SGVBC is a 24x7 full time badminton club, member $33/month, non-member $7/per day. You find all levels of player there. If you are serious, this is the place for you.

6. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

To participate in California Open or other tournaments organized by club, you just need to pay registration fee and play. I was not aware of any requirement to participate, except US Open, which I heard is only opened to Pros.

California Open has just ended few months ago. It was held at San Gabriel Valley Badminton club.

7. wickeddrop

San Gabriel is probably your best bet then, 24 hours a day but if u go without anyone, its hard to find someone to play with b/c they are a little clicky there, if you know what i mean. If you want to play friday, you can go to los angeles valley college, they play from 7 - 11, or santa monica college, 9 am - 9pm i believe.

8. Bluechalice

San Gabriel

I went to San Gabriel to check it out last week though...it seems really messy and dark...dont know maybe just me...but there was people everywhere...like almost if you dont know anyone you probably cant play with them...like they all will just play with the people that live there...hey what you mean clicky?...I really cant wait to play...I like to play fast and powerful games...

9. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Actually you have answered your own question

Clicky as in Clique-y... as in they like to hang with their own. It's pretty much standard everywhere. Don't expect people to welcome strangers with open arms unless their reputations precede them:p. If you approach a group, it's advisable to be on your best behaviour and politely ask them for a game. It's their inherent rights to refuse you and leave you to your own device, but most of the time people will accomodate you a game or two.

If you proved to be an adequate challenge for them or at least established a rapport, then you got yourself a new group of friends to play with.

Good Luck!

10. wickeddrop

Bluechalice,

My advice is to come to Mar Vista on Wednesday and u can play a fast and furious game with us! Although like cappy75 said, you have to prove yourself first before anyone will play with u, Mar Vista has nothing but friendly people, inlcuding myself! So if you can make it, come by Wednesday night and maybe we can get in a game.

11. Californian

Californian Regular Member

What is seen as cliquiness is pretty much the same everywhere. It's not that people are unsocial, it's that players generally want to play with others about their own skill level. If they don't know your skill level, they may be reluctant to let you in because they want a competitive game. What sometimes happens is that they will have only three and if you look like you can play decently, they'll invite you in so they can get a game.

If it's busy there, they have a system that should solve the problem of getting on the court. You write your name on a tag and hang it on one of four hooks as next up, or second up, on the board next to a particular court. The group on the court gets two games and they're off. When your group is up to play, you're entitled to be on that court. It's the best system I've seen around.

Because players tend to congregate according to levels of play, it's best to choose one of the courts where you best fit in. If you go there at night, the A-B players mostly use the front two courts by the pro shop, the C-D players use the four courts on the other side of the wall towards the street, and the D-novice players generally use one of the four courts in the back of the building where the private lessons are given.

As with anywhere, if you arrive and nobody invites you in, if there's an open court, find a player who is sitting and ask if he or she would like to hit. Most people would rather hit than sit, even if they are waiting for a particular game. Asking to hit requires no commitment to a game, but it gives others a chance to see some of your play, and gets you warmed up and more comfortable. If the other person doesn't accept your request, don't take it personally. Go out to the open court and practice serves or footwork. Again it shows others something about your skill level, and usually, someone wanting to play will eventually come over and ask to hit. If you're on that court, they have to come to you if they want to play.

You said it seemed dark. During off-hours when it's generally for members only, the lights over the courts are on timers and turn off after a while, so only the courts in use are lighted. Members can turn on the lights with their cards.

Messy? Well, there are a lot of used birds laying around, and some people don't throw their trash away.

12. Bluechalice

Hey Wickeddrop

whats up...hey wickeddrop...what days do you play at mar vista? only wednesdays? I think I might be able to go only on weekends...like Friday/Sat/Sun...are you there on those days...
    Do people play singles there too or is it all doubles?
    If you know someone looking for a doubles partner let me know...
    I know San Gabriel Badminton club has a store by the courts...does Mar vista have any stores or stringing facilities?
    I think maybe I should go this Friday afternoon or Saturday Morning...
    ken

13. wickeddrop

Mar Vista is only open on mondays and wednesday nights from 7 -10 pm. People play all doubles there because there are a lot of regulars and people. There are only 3 courts which is why everyone plays doubles. Mar Vista is only a rec center and not a pro badminton facility, so no pro shop.

14. cheers

cheers New Member

Wickeddrop: If me and a friend go to Mar Vista on Mon/Wed will there be available courts to play on? If there's only 3 courts, my fear would be that they'd be full. Let me know. I will probably check it out regardless. so on mondays or wednesdays, just look for a guy with a bright yellow wilson racquet.

Bluechalice: I've been to SGVBC and Santa Monica College, and I like them both. At both places I didn't have any problems finding people to play or interacting with the 'regulars'. My first time playing badminton was at Santa Monica College and me and my friend(who's very good) played a couple of the regulars and got creamed. But they gladly switched up the teams the next game and gave me TONS of help and pointers and we all had a very enjoyable series of games after that. I don't think I would be still playing and loving this game if those people hadn't helped me with doubles(thanks ed/susanne).

At SGVBC, we'd just rally around and people would just come up to you and ask for a game or you can ask someone to play. It seems clicky at first, but I think that is mostly a cultural thing and has nothing to do with your badminton skill. I get requests to play with a lot of the regulars there, even with my non-yonex 20-dollar badminton racquet with no cover and all-tennis skills. So, it's safe to say that people are pretty friendly and if you're as good as you say you are, you should have no problems going and playing. I thought SGVBC was dark and messy at first too, but now I don't mind it at all.

I'm always looking for people to play with as well, I have a few friends that are really good, so if you want to join us and come check out some of these clubs with us, you're more than welcome. I live really close to you in West LA by wilshire/La Brea. let me know if you want to play with us sometime. I prefer doubles.

15. wickeddrop

Cheers,

At Mar Vista, Its a 1st come 1st serve basis. You just write your name on the whiteboard and people will sign up with you. You play 2 sets of 15 pts and then you get off the court till its your turn again, so u will definitely get a chance to play! There are all levels there and everyone is really friendly so you have nothing to worry about. My advice would be to show up around 7:20 or so, that way the first games are ending and you can get on the next round. The people that come early, like myself, want to play on the 1st round of games that is why we come so early. But, definitely check it out, you will enjoy yourself, plus its only $4 and they provide you with all the feathered shuttles you can use! PM me if you need any more information.

16. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    There is Korean badminton club that runs in a small community center south of Koreatown. I'd have to look up on my map where it is again, but The older part of the same group plays on the outdoor courts off of vermont and 4th.

I was staying nearby and wandered to the outdoor courts - after playing once I was invited out this community center to play early mornings with them. Good group of people to play with. I also played with the Thai club at L.a. City college on Vermont and Monroe saturday nights and it was a great time.

San Gabriel valley was awesome. Once you get on court they'll figure out your skill level and people will come ask you to play.

17. jinnyjinjin

jinnyjinjin New Member

Badminton club at San Gabriel

I play at the S.G club often. The one at telstar. People are very cool, and friendly. I went there by myself, met some new friends and cool interesting people. If you want, we can hit around and maybe play couple games.

e-mail me at jinnythepika@hotmail.com

ttyl ^_^

18. ascaris99

ascaris99 New Member

medical
    looking for a place to play

hi there,
    im new here in the Los Angeles area and searching for a place to play badminton. As I was searching the internet, I came across this website and saw your post. I felt I am in the same shoes as you were when you posted this.

Maybe you cna help me (re)start my hobby in badminton. I havent played in a while but I played regularly when I was back home in my country. I want to stay in shape. Im looking for a regular place and group whom I could paly with.

Are ou able to play regularly now?

I hope you could reply to this. Please advise me what you had to do. Thank you.

jon

19. ascaris99

ascaris99 New Member

medical
    looking for a place to play

Can anybody please help me (re) start with my hobby in palying badminton?

I am currently living in Los Angeles. I just moved into the area (Koreatown).
    I was searching through internet and came across this website with this forum. I am looking for a regular place and group whom I could play with.I sued to paly regularly back home but since I came to the US, I havent been able to play.

I want to stay back in shape and retrain myslef in the sport. How I can start? I hope someone can give me good advise, on what to do, where to go, perhaps whom to meet in that place?

Thank you in advance

J

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Check out..^^

..post #2 on the previous page..good luck!