Playing in Kowloon (October-November 2017)

Discussion in 'China / Hong Kong' started by ucantseeme, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Dear fellow BC-members,

I will be from mid of October to mid of November 2017 in Kowloon.
    I will live in the region of the Choi-Wan-Estate during this time.

I'm looking for a place to have some recreational games with relaxed people in Kowloon. I prefer MD and XD. I would call me an intermediate player, but this depends on the region and point of view how to judge the level.

I'm looking for playing 2-3 times per week to stay in shape for the season here during the break. I'm glad if anybody has an advice for me. I would be happy if anybody will pm me. I'm looking for fun, so everybody is welcome to drop me a pm regardless which level of play. :)

Best regards.

2. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

You're looking for more intense play? Or really purely recreational? Cause there's a lot of recreational at varying levels in Hong Kong, but for actual good games, it's harder to find.

3. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Hi, thanks for your reply. :) I'm open for all, but recreational is fine. Level of play can differ in different countries, so recreational is fine as long as the players can hit any shot, know a bit tactics and know doubles/mixed doubles positioning. I'm more focused on meeting people from HK and having fun.:) I'm mostly interested to play, regardless which level, but I don't want to annoy decent high level player with my mediocre skills:D

I'm just worried how to arrange something there. Normally the people here sign a club and play there or meet with friends and book a court at a sports center. Maybe you can help me? Where I can meet people to play? I try here to find somebody who lives in Kowloon and has some advices. I'm not keen to train serious at a well-known club, just playing.

Best regards.

4. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Yes. Pretty much everyone has a "group" or "club" they play in. Organizers usually book courts for 7 people (1 court) or 14 people (2 courts). Sometimes more. There are varying degrees of levels, but if you're looking for recreational play, you can try the Meetup group Speed Badminton Club or HKBMG (Hong Kong Badminton Meetup Group). I still join occasionally in their games. The groups in Speed tend to be a little higher then HKBMG. But essentially it's about knowing who is hosting. There are many Hosts that are lower level but advertise much higher.

If you can read Chinese, you can also try Discuss. However, they are a bit of a closed group. I've heard that they call you to confirm your level and need you to prove that you're of sufficient level before joining. Their groups were "supposed" to be of higher grade, and I have joined a few games and noticed there are definitely better players there, but I didn't think they were that great either (not warranting such an attitude).

Alternatively you could join private clubs, but these mainly have training in them and are for more long term.

I suggest you join Intermediate only games and mainly in the evening. The afternoon is clouded with random Advanced Beginners joining Intermediates because there isn't enough people signing up.

If you want something more challenging I can see if I can hook you up with a group I play with. But they are relatively strict on the level. They like to have everyone on around similar levels so that the games are fun and more intense.

5. Chai Kent Onn

Chai Kent Onn Regular Member

Hi, Im Kent and I'll be traveling to hong kong on the 14th of June. Would like to know if there's any badminton session that I can join. I'll be staying in Causeway Bay around Sogo area. Thanks.
    Level Of Play Intermediate

6. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

I strongly second almost all of this. To be honest, I am fairly depressed. Guess I will fall asleep in the states.
    Meetup.com and discuss.com are the places to play for meetups with the least barriers. There are many badminton groups within hk for meetup.com. I will also second discuss.com hosts kind of being jerks when they're asking for quality when they themselves aren't that great either, but I guess they have the right to pick whoever they want.

They rank the system from Beginner<Adv Beginner<Lower Int<Int<Int+<Adv

This is going to sound somewhat cocky...but here's the truth.

Unfortunately, most of the games up to and including Intermediate level are fairly weak. (I won games using my weak hand and I have played a month with it, so you can imagine.) Int+ and Adv games come up once every blue moon, and it will be a gem such that you can actually find a decent game.

My best opinion is that you join the highest level of meetup that is possible and start nagging everyone in the meetup where they play and if they can find better games for you to hook up with.

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I created a meetup account. Seems to be the best thing. Will join the lower groups to bore nobody and will then see how good I'm on the standards there.

8. cliff0913

cliff0913 New Member

student
    i totally agreed about what you have said about discuss.com player, but people like me that only stay in Hong Kong for 2 weeks, it is really hard to find a game instead of discuss. i need to say discuss has some good player but it is like 1/50 of them.
    i will visit Hong Kong at the end of the year, i am looking for games too, we can meet up for a game if you are still around Hong Kong at that time.

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    @cliff0913 I recommend you meetup.com. I made good experience with it and met really nice people.

10. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Yup. Meetup is best for short term games. If you'd like to join me in a game or two, I'd be up for it too. But I mainly can only play on weekends.