Players Ranking & Handicaps

Discussion in 'Arcadia Badminton Club ( ABC )' started by pramana, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Hi All:

The site is www.birdievent.com or www.birdievents.com

It took me 3 days to build the site and I think it is finally showing the purposes. The site is dedicated to "rank" players in our club, so we can be fair during tournament. By utilizing "points" system, we can justify the strength of player and decide if he/she is eligible to be grouped in certain band, such as "A" players cannot pair with another "A" or "B+" players. The same applies to "D" players, so they will have fun and enjoy the tournament.
    Of course, we cannot get the clear cut from one or two events. At least by next year, we can see the visible line of the player's levels.

How it works:
    • All players must register to the website prior to join the events.
    • If they already registered, I can just transfer their profile into the ranking.
    • Every time someone register to any tournament(s), he/ she will earn 25 points toward his/ her record.
    • Every time someone achieve Semi Final or better, they will earn points:
      • 4th Place: 25 points
      • 3rd Place: 50 points
      • 2nd Place: 75 points
      • 1st Place: 100 points.
      • less than semi-final, no points rewarded.
    • Records of winning will be recorded automatically to the registered player profiles.
    • If you feel the distribution of points are not fair, I can manipulate the system to fit the general acceptance.
    • In addition, I also setup social networking component (linked to Facebook for your convenience) into the site, so you can SMS or talk to each others, upload videos/ pictures/ scripts etc. I was thinking to setup "IRC" kind of program, but I do not think you all will be staying on the site and chatting, instead of playing badminton :rolleyes:
    • I also added forum discussion, if you have something to comment on the events or suggestion to me.
    Let me know what you think and how I have to proceed to make this site make senses to everyone.

Of course, this site is only a "tool" to accommodate our dilemma on how to setup the even-playing field to everyone.

Please PM me or reply for your suggestions.

Best Regards,
    rpramana

#1 pramana, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. ABCmanagement

ABCmanagement Regular Member

Hi Rudy and Superbird Ed

ABC is really proud to have you be our Member. What you guys been doing are really 1st class and good for our other members.

Everyone feels the passion you have for Badminton. So generous - SuperBird Tournaments; Birdievent.com etc. I am sure this world will be the Utopia if everyone acts like you.

To show my support, I am going to register right now. And more, you guys & your family members are cordially invited to our ABC Thanksgiving Party - Drink, Play, Karaoke, Raffle Draw, MJ, Charity Poker (if win by Banker, winning money will be donated to City of Hope) Turkey and many many more. I know Thanksgiving is a family night. So if you are busy, please let me know because I think you will come play for sure on Black Friday to burn some Turkey Fat.

I still remember what I had promised - more court, hot water and air conditioning (it will be swarm-cooler with Air-Duct) and fancy bathroom.

Are you really 202#? I think you have heavy muscle. Or, is it a typo?

Your Friend
    William Chan
    ABC

3. pramana

pramana Regular Member

William,

Thanks for your support on our events. I try my best to make every tournament a fun event for everyone. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to "rank" the players and I do not want to see the same faces on the winning circle and discourage others to join the events.

I am just hoping the "points" system will show the strength of players or at least a method to separate the group to be more competitive and fun.

I really encourage everyone to try our events and see how it measures to your expectations. In addition, you can see your achievements on the birdievent.com, photos, videos and all related articles to your participation of the events.

I know it is along shot to build a proven system on ranking players, but I like to try this 1st step and see how it measures to the objective.

By the way, 202lbs is correct :)

Note: If anyone registered to the site, please upload your photo.

Thanks,
    rpramana

4. ABCmanagement

I'll take a picture and upload later. BTW, Vinson is how his name spelled. I can tell this site has a lot of work. And only for those good in Mathmatics to join. Hehe!

5. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Name has been corrected to Vinson, sorry !:)
    Also I used math for member enrollment, so I can confirm if our members know how to count correctly. ;)

William, I'm also thinking to add enrollment module to the site, so members can pay directly online and we can estimate correctly or within scope the registered participants for any future events.

The issue is I do not want IRS to chase me, thinking I am pocketing money for the events. Let me know if you have idea for this issue.

By the way, I am not limiting the site for SuperBird events only, in case you have other events and like to utilize the site.

The benefit of allowing participants to enroll and pay online:
    • Participants will get receipts of their payment, so when they arrive at ABC, they just show the receipt and go-in.
    • We can add the entrance fees on the top of the tournament fees for convenience, which will be reflected also on the receipts.
    • You also can add other miscellaneous items to the events, such as selling t-shirts, etc for additional incomes.
    I am just thinking of the long short....
    I hope you don't mind if I have a little day-dreaming here :D

Best Regards,
    rpramana

6. ABCmanagement

Hi Rudy

Suggestions:

1. Maths - I think u should make it slightly simpler. Becuz if a person put 2 answers wrong without help. He may turn away and not coming back to your website.

2. Enrollement & Payment - I can set up a SHOPPING CART on our website www.abadminton.com enables such function. But there's a charge from the Credit Card Company for a little less than 3% service charge.

3. Public Rankings - Currently in USA, only those actice Tournament and USAB members have rankings. This can extend to all Recreational Members in the USA and create a database. So, say if ABC members want to play at New York, we can contact Players/Clubs over there and have some fun.

4. Rankings are for all Tournaments - SuperBird, HQ Ladder, Friendship Games etc. Each tournament has such problem. Better player want to play in a lower ranking bracket and win some trophies/monies. I think you should consider:
    Tennis - 2.0 to 4.0
    Ping Pong - 1100 to 2500

I am always dreaming. Your dream make you create Birdievent.com which benefit us. Actually your website should put a column that all users can tell us what they r dreaming for USA Badminton. That would be fun and make this world a nicer place to play Badminton.

7. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    So busy doing my back-taxes.

Hey Rudy,

Trang misplaced the phone, so I couldn't get the chance to answer your call. Your website look great. I am going to have another website running superbirdbadminton.com: This site is going to be focus solely on ABC-SuperBird Tournament Events/ABC activities such as HI-QUA Badminton ladders/parties---->>((pictures & videos driven site )). I just love taking pictures & editing videos, so I just make this site for my fun extra hobbies.:)

8. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    By the ways. It a good Idea to have LINK for all ABC related websites:Hi-qua-Ladder + Birdieevent + superbirdbadminton + philipine Club....ect: This will give all tournaments at ABC more exposures and make better relationship with all members into 1 huge network of Tournament players: IN THE NEAR FUTURE, EVERYONE WANTS TO BE A PART OF ALL TOURNAMENT EVENTS :) this is a good way to promote competition of the younger mind so that someday: We will Have a NATIONAL CHAMP PLAYER & Maybe a future "LIN DAN" in USA. Just like basketball--->>Who ever thoughts an Asian player can be a dominant force:"Yao MING". And dream will come true: Puerto Rico defeated the BAsketball million dolllars Dream team at the OLYMPIC GAME: :)

9. SuperBird

SuperBird Regular Member

Doctor
    2. Enrollement & Payment - I can set up a SHOPPING CART on our website www.abadminton.com enables such function. But there's a charge from the Credit Card Company for a little less than 3% service charge.

Superbird tournament: I don't think this is very necessary at the moment. People will pay at the door for entrance fee to ABC & a small sub-fee $5.00 fee for a FUN event on the day of the event. $13.00 cash total is not a lot to carry around. It will be more confusing to know who have paid online & it will be another task to worry about & Save some money from UNCLE SAM with HARD CASH :)

Let's not worry too much about How the money is going to come in at the moment. We focus on the fun and the excitement & making people happy :) This is the key of successful tournament.

10. pramana

pramana Regular Member

William,

I could not believe if the "math" captcha is the #1 concern on the site :eek:
    I thought we all have to know how to calculate since we are badminton freaks :p.
    In regards to payment module, I will hold on it and let's Eddie takes care the funding ;)
    The topic of "dreaming", I had put a forum on the site. You just have to create a topic and hopefully someone will reply or follow-up on the subjects.

By the way, I also just installed SSL on the site, which I thought could be used for payment module. However, now I utilize it for login security only. You will see https, instead simple http when login.:eek:

I am very itchy to try out the system soon. If anyone has simple tournament to hold, please let me know. :)

Eddie:
    I need pictures of previous events to upload ;)

Thanks,
    rpramana

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Whoah!!..

...surprised to see pramana (Rudy) hosting his own baddie website complete w/a discussion forum, too!!..:eek::cool:

I visited the website and briefly took a tour. Looks ready to roll..but how many people know about this? Only in BC? How will this get around @ ABC?

As for those who want to get involved or sign up, i guess one has to have an internet access in order to join this new endeavor??..

As for the links page, will there be a link to badmintoncentral.com??..:confused:;)

12. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Hi Chris:

I appreciate your time to visit and tour the site. I am sure I can use your knowledge and experience of building good, informative and enjoyable site, especially for badminton purposes.

While the site is only less than a week, I had received some feedbacks from senior players of ABC and recent players of Superbirds events. It is very encouraging to see how much enthusiasm among us to finally can gather together and develop a system to fit our biggest challenge on "ranking" a player on every tournament.

Of course it is hard to promote the site beyond ABC at the moment, since the brainchild of this project is to minimize the confusion on pairing or "handicapping" a player against weaker opponent.

In regards to link to BC, I can do a following:
    1. Icon Link: Click it and it goes to BC.
    2. Feeder: I have to get permission from BC for copyright contains, while BC also has to install feeder itself for broadcasting the contains. I think it is a long shot. That is why I setup forum on the site itself to accommodate our purposes and needs.

So, how do I get people in ABC to be involved?
    I will walk around with a piece of paper & camera to voluntarily asking people to sign up. What I need is only the First Name, Last Name, Email address and picture.

Again, what are the benefits of signing up on birdievent.com?
    1. Get instant contact to players on the member lists.
    2. You can be involved on our community to chat, share pictures, videos, sharing ideas/ discussion (forum).
    3. You can use the site to announce any events of your parties, friends or block certain members from your events.
    4. Develop your own community, which you can be a moderator and only invite certain members.
    5. Review your historical profiles of events achievements.
    6. Contacting players to arrange playing time @ABC for example.
    7. It is FREE of charge to use the features.
    8. There are more..., since I will add features to the site upon suggestions and requests from members.

Thanks,
    rpramana