Philippine Open - I witnessed some underhanded moves

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP Gold / Philippines Open 2009' started by vip_m, Jul 3, 2009.

1. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Professionals should know how to handle distractions. I've seen fans bring drums in the gym, sponsors handing thunder stick to fans for clapping, fans screaming, whistling, or even calling "in" and "out" during matches. All such and such can all be considered as "distraction". If you can not handle such situation, then you are not ready to be a pro.

In any sports, there are "gray areas", and most are considered "legal". Whether use it or not, it's down to player him/herself. I do not consider using such as "not fair", as whether fair or unfair, is already well documented in the rule book. As long as there's no written rule to prevent such, then such action is "fair", as either side has the equal chance to choose to use or not to use.

Of course, if such an action is being abused, and messed up the sport in general, I am sure the committee will capture it, and update the rule book. However, before it's officially documented, it's still "fair" to be used.

2. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    One thing i am quite confused here.

If a coach find an effective way of winning, while not breaking any written rule, I thought the coach should be consider as a legend, as a hall of fame? Why it's suddenly a shame? The game is judged by the rule book, not by your or my likes.

So, the 1st badminton player who perform jump smash is unsportsman like, as others are gentleman, with both feet on the floor?. The 1st NBA player who decide to drible is cheating, because others prefer to standing still? The 1st player decide to block a shot is cheating, because others only know how to shoot? 1st quarter back decide to run himself is bad, because he suppose to use arm only? 1st NHL player to use the "backnet office" to pass or shoot is not man enough to face the real deal in the front?

If you do not like something, just be man enought to say "i do not like it". You and your group does not represent the general public, and can not over throw the official rule book or laws. Please do not polish yourself as the "god", and use your standard as "god standard" when you judge things.

#122 LazyBuddy, Jul 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Then, I suggest you and others talk to LYB and the players themselves or consult with reliable sources (officials, medical staff, etc) for official (not gossip after being drunk in a cafe something) published answers, rathe than quote some "never can be veried" sources, when your guys try to make an arguement. ;)

Remember, once a person can not even dare to bring his quote into the public, I really wonder how "fishy" the comment itself can be.

#123 LazyBuddy, Jul 6, 2009
  4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Isn't that a bit too general here?

Sure they have class, to give a "middle finger" greeting on live TV (Koo), to get banned for drug usage (Sigit), to beat up fans on the side and parking lot (TH), to harrass line judge (TH), to have line judgement in their own twisted mind (a few KOR line judges), etc. Ok, I am ready to hear LYB "break ur leg", LD throwing rackets, and what so ever now. :D

5. viver

viver Regular Member

Is match fixing a thing exclusive to China team? Is LYB the only one doing it? All I know is that LYB was the ONLY one admitting it.

I don't have any interest in bashing players, I am interested in good matches. I noted as per my memory (which is fading anyways) Mia Audina was the first player using this tactic during the matches. I have never mentioned anywhere that Mia Audina was a dirty player or employed underhand technique.

Players always find ways to challenge the rules. No matter what changes you make to the rules, they will never be perfect. In my opinion, the ideal way would be to make players aware of such situations and not let them disrupt their concentration during the games.

6. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

From what I saw in the MD SF, (as I have guessed) the timing is indeed a bit different from what I usually saw in matches. In fact, the partner of Sun Junjie posed ready for several seconds and suddenly raised his hand just a little bit at exactly the same moment Gunawan served. In fact I could not tell which happened first: Gunawan hit the shuttlecock, or his opponent raised hand, even after watching it several times.

If this is what happened in WS, then it is understandable that YPY got distracted but could not stop her serving action.

I don't know whether Mia Audina did the same thing with the same "perfect" timing. I don't remember seeing such perfectly timed action in my collection of >500 matches.

Anyway, these are minor issues and are easy to overcome. I just don't understand how could the umpire judge that YPY lose a point (usually when such things happen it's a let). Maybe he didn't see the hand raised?

#126 ye333, Jul 6, 2009
  7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

The point is, this coach is in fact not the discoverer of this "effective way". Everyone knows such things. He is just the first one who is "brave" enough to use it.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yup,we didn't bring up this hand raising thing from Mia even tho i know why she does it. By 1994, she was huffing and puffing alot(without going into further detail why). The hand raising gesture would buy her a few more seconds to catch her breath. Is this an unfair advantage to her opponents? I never hear a CHN fan complained about it. Even now, we accepted what Mia did is part of the game.

#128 cooler, Jul 6, 2009
  9. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Watch the MDSF, 2nd game, later part.

What would you do if the hand is raised at the same moment you hit the birdie? ;)

If there is no umpire present, I guess an argument will follow? :D:D

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

nope, i'll re-serve. I have high confidence in my service(especially with mavis shuttles.) :)
    The receiver has been disrupted just as i have which i can take advantage of. I have no complaints.

#130 cooler, Jul 6, 2009
  11. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Haha. As you said, you will choose to re-serve because you are confident in your serving -- in other words, if you are not (say your opponent is Tony Gunawan), then you may choose to argue? :D:D:D

12. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i checkmated u, please stop trying to wiggle yourself out:p plus i didn't see your hand up:p

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Jens Eriksen used this tactic of raising the arm up at the time of the opponent serving. It happened in the All England against Lee WW/Choong TF. I felt the umpire should have given a yellow card against Jens. It was so blatent.

14. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

Seems to have 2 schools of thoughts here: Chinese supporters who claime that the Chinese team is allowed to play any tactic they want as long as it is legal or the umpire is alright with it. Non-Chinese supporters who claim that underhanded tactics like breaking your opponents spirit/concentration without any involvement of your badminton skill are not to be encouraged on court.

Here is my personal opinion, Chinese teams are allowed do whatever they want on court as long as umpire is alright with it but prepare for the consequence. Do not expect others to respect you when you are employing unscrupulous act and exploiting loopholes in rules just to get an edge over the others. Sell your soul to the devil if you must for I could care less what will happen to those unprincipled players when they are off court as long as they don't caused unwanted delay to the match that will upset the crowd(which they did, consider some of the non-Chinese supporters are not comfortable when they are watching the match).

Tactics such as LYB's infamous act of threatening to break a player's legs/swearing at a certain player during their matches in an attempt to disrupt a player's concentration are to be condemned. For such acts not only project a person's poor upbringing, they also project negative images to the spectators giving an impression that badminton is such a cheap sport whereby players are allowed to resort to such tactics as personally attacking others just to win a game. Such acts are often term as unproffesional and I sincerely hope that those teams that are employing such tactics will put some class into their games and destroy their opponents with pure skills but not with some questionable strategy. You can forget on bragging about how awesome your favourite player is by looking at his/her won titles IF(note the if, not saying he is doing this right now) he/she does not have the slightest trace of dignity/moral left in him/her(employing the loopholes in rules), he/she is not worth to be respected as he/her is not winning the matches through the highest level of badminton play.

Now for the non-Chinese supporters: you guys are at fault too. If you feel so strongly about such act. Put in more pressure to ensure that BWF will do something to rectify such practice. If this is not practical, ask the victims to wise up and prepare for such underhanded tactics(like breaking lin dan's and li yong bo's legs way before they could even shout a single word....just kidding anyway....) in the next encouter. Or when the victioms encountered such players and they lost their concentration before they serve, demand a few seconds from umpire to rest before regaining their concentration to serve again. You don't lose anything by asking right? Or wait until they are ready before you post your stance to serve.

IMO, I think employing such tactics like disrupting a player's concentration or spirit without employing your badminton skill are unethical and unprofessional. And if a player needs to resort to this just to win a match, all there is left to be said to such a player is...shame on you, you pathetic fellow.

Just my 2 cents.

#134 lcleing, Jul 6, 2009
  15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

look like u r just a new comer wanting to pile into this debate without having the background information. U like to broad brush chinese players as cheater without proving one case in this alleged underhanded service debate. U base your biased view on one's person observation which his knowledge of the badminton rules is questionable. Base on your tone, u (like many others here) see this as a non-chinese versus chinese supporters debate even though other non-chinese players have used similar tactic as well. Your posts worth zero cent because it is just another run of the mill rant on the chinese players. It has no substance or content to support your claim. U r guessing on vip_m's guess being correct. That's all u have so far.

PS: All badminton serves are done underhanded. Read the rulebook:rolleyes:

#135 cooler, Jul 6, 2009
  16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What physical routine? I was talking about physical readiness. When players go through their routine, they are readying themselves mentally, and when they think they are mentally ready, they go to their receiver's spot and gets ready for the opponent's serve. Now they are physically ready. I thought this is as obvious as night and day, but somehow I think you're gonna twist this all the way around again.

80% is pretty high. Your matches must be super competitive. How many percent of your low serves did the receivers use the 'not ready' excuse? Maybe they are actually ready, just not "ready" for your flicks. In other words, cheating.

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yes,as long as the umpire take no action,u can do whatever u want?:confused:
    so will u teach ur children,u can steal anything as long as there no one catch u?:confused:
    u can drive away even when the traffic light is red as long as the police is not there?:rolleyes:
    we dont do bad thing because it is incorrect,not because scare of punishment.;)
    its ok if someone older than me dont understand this concept,such a pity life.:cool:

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    That's why I am calling you "mighty":D

19. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

The problems is...most of Chn players have enough skills in badminton to win titles........they are brilliant.......They dont need all this to win.......sadly :(

20. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Exactly!

That's the irony, jasonmarc. The Chinese player are so good, talented, experienced and well-trained, they really don't need to resort to these tactics to win.

And when they do face an opponent better than them, they should just do their best and if they lose, they lose. No loss in dignity and integrity in that. You lose those attributes when you resort to these underhanded tactics.