Philippine Open - I witnessed some underhanded moves

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP Gold / Philippines Open 2009' started by vip_m, Jul 3, 2009.

1. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    I watched todays quarterfinals and as I got back home, I noticed tournamentsoftware.com is back online with the results:

http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=5276F690-53EE-41B9-9AD2-5E6B90DB0BEA

Now some observations:

- Trikus and Minarti, though they lost, gave Nan Zhang/Lu Lu a good fight (18-21 25-23 21-17) showing that brains/experience/creativity has a place in world-class play: youth, strength and speed aren't the only qualities that will get a win.

- In three instances I witnessed, so I'm starting to think this might be a strategy of the Chinese team, they did something that was rather unsportsmanlike and underhanded: when their opponent is just about to serve, they suddenly raise their hand to stop them and interrupt their rhythm. This caused no. 3 seed Pui Yin YIP to lose a couple of points from Shixian WANG. Yip was in the act of serving when Wang suddenly puts her hand out trying to stop her. Yip saw her hand and ended up serving out. The umpire called the point against her despite her protests that she saw Wang with her hand out--though Wang immediately put it down when she saw the shuttle going out. The Chinese team did this again in the Men's Doubles: Fernando KURNIAWAN/Lingga LIE vs Zhiben/Ye SHEN. The Indonesians were irritated and complained to the umpire who warned the Chinese pair to cut it out. They continued doing it for a couple of more times and got some more warnings before they finally stopped doing it. Then I also saw the Chinese pair in Women's doubles actually do it against Gao Ling! Gao Ling was playing for the Victor team I guess. Siyun WANG/Jinkang ZHANG started doing it in the 3rd set when they were starting to lose but Gao Ling and her partner Yili WEI ignored the tactics.

I wish these Chinese team players would not stoop to such underhanded tactics and just win fair and square. When you're not ready to receive serve, you should raise your hand from the beginning and not do it just when your opponent is all ready and about to serve. You're obviously trying to destroy your opponent's concentration, which is illegal. You're not supposed to move or distract your opponent when they're serving.

If the Chinese team coaches are teaching this tactic ('cuz it seems taught since a bunch of their players in different categories--WS, MD, WD--were doing it--and no one from the other teams engaged in it), they should just stop. It puts an asterisk to any win they get--they'll be marked as cheaters.

2. cheeyf

cheeyf Regular Member

that's so bad n unsporting at all. pity yip n the other players

3. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    It turns off the spectator

Yes, as a spectator, I couldn't appreciate the player who engaged in the practice. I just found the behavior irritating and unfair.

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Hmm... That doesn't sound good. But on the other hand it's kind of easy to counter: Just finish your serve as if nothing happened. :cool:

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    isn't it a dumb comment? the fact was youth, strength and speed DID beat Trikus and Minarti:rolleyes: OR are u saying nan/lulu show the brains/experience/creativity as well?
    hmm, if it was illegal, why the umpire didn't give the chineses yellow cards?who's rhythm takes priority? the receiver. You should read the rule book. I can assure u the chinese players/team have read the rule book
    if the chinese cheated, then u the umpire is the co-conspirator.

u should be careful, Shixian Wang has lot of boyfriends here in bf:p

#5 cooler, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  6. viver

viver Regular Member

If the umpire allowed then is legal. Professional players during matches should focus on the game and it is not anybody's fault if they allow any distraction to affect their game.

However if I remember correctly, Mia Audina was the first player employing 'consistently' this tactic in her matches and that is back to around 1994. Then more and more players starting using it, so hardly new.

7. freelast

freelast Regular Member

I have never been to south east Asian, from reading posts here, I feel that the people over there, in those south east Asian countries, are very hostile to Chinese. Some people mentioned here several days ago that Indonesians support any country who fights China. Even in country like Singapore, 80% are ethnic Chinese, but Chinese from mainland are still the least welcomed there.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If I am right, any people kindly tell me the reason. Thanks

8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Judging from the YPY case, it seems the "raising hand" occurred during the serve, otherwise it's hard to imagine an experienced professional -- YPY -- could not hold her serve and ended serving out. Also, from what I've seen in past matches, in such situation YPY should get another chance to serve since the game stopped as soon as Wang raised her hand.

So it seems to me that either there is something new, or the umpire is not good enough.

#8 ye333, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  9. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think most people are just trying to support underdogs. I support USA in the Confederation Cup Final, but that doesn't mean I am against Brazil.

Of course there may be a few who are really against China. But who cares. Pick anything, there will be "a few" people who are against that thing.

10. freelast

freelast Regular Member

thanks for your explanation.

my impression is that majority people there just hate Chinese. I could be wrong, that's the reason I want to verify that from the real people in that region on this forum.

thanks again.

11. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Such 'disruptive tactics' have become universal.
    They are hardly the exclusive realm of the Chinese.

Nor is China the worst offender when receiving serve.
    In my view, Mathias Boe of Denmark takes the crown.

It's not too difficult to counter these practices.
    Watch Tony Gunawan and Lee Yong Dae.
    They don't get thrown off rhythm because they wait.

Quite simply, don't serve just because you are ready.
    Wait for the receiver to show he is ready.
    Then, serve.

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Against China? Really? Naaaaaaah, just a figment of your imagination ;):D

13. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Retort

Minarti/Trikus used more tricks than their opponent, so it wasn't a "dumb" comment as you put it.

The rule states:

"9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server's racket head, any delay in the start of the service (Law 9.2), shall be considered to be an undue delay;"

from http://www.worldbadminton.com/rules/

If the Chinese team members who engaged in this practice weren't ready, they should have put their hand up when "the server and the receiver are NOT ready for the service". But what they did was, when everyone was positioned, then they would raise their hand. You're right though, the umpire during Yip's game probably wasn't aware of this rule and allowed it, but good thing the umpire during the Men's Doubles game stopped it.

As for Shixian Wang having "lot of boyfriends"--I don't know why you'd cheapen Shixian Wang by implying she's an unfaithful type of girlfriend. She looks like a decent girl. She probably would insist only on one boyfriend at a time.

As for any animosity towards the Chinese--I was cheering for Gao Ling 'cuz I like her playing ability--and as far as I know, she's still mainland Chinese right? And during the Shixian Wang match, I was neutral, since I didn't know either one. But when Shixian Wang started doing her "hand up" strategy, it really turned me off to her and I started cheering for Yip.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Actually, this rule has little authority over the 'hand-up' delaying tactics.
    This rule controls only what happens after the server and receiver are ready.

(For reference, I have highlighted the portion in blue:)
    "9.1.1 neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once the server and the receiver are ready for the service. On completion of the backward movement of server's racket head, any delay in the start of the service shall be considered to be an undue delay."

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    These are part of gamesmanship, perfectly legal in the sporting world.

The umpire, however, has the final say on whether blatant gamesmanship is causing an unfair advantage to one party, and stop it. From what you reported, that's what the umpire in the MD match did.

16. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

Amen!! nice one Vip...:)

17. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    I don't think anyone here should condone such underhanded tactics. Saying "Everyone else does it" or "It's part of the game" will mean tolerating it and thus allowing it to become the norm. This is usually the seed of corruption and will ruin the game. Tactics like these should be nipped in the bud, i.e., condemned so people will stop doing it. Badminton is too beautiful a game to have its reputation ruined, like its some sort of farce spectacle like Pro Wrestling--which has its own admirers but doesn't fit with badminton's purposes.

18. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Thanks

Thanks. The irony is, early on, when Shixian WANG would emit a high-pitched scream when she won a crucial point and some in the crowd would make fun of her, I'd try to shush them because this was discourteous--Shixian WANG should be perfectly comfortably in expressing herself and we in the audience should respect her. It was only when she was down or at a crossroads and tried the underhanded tactic that I got turned off with her.

19. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, I agreed with u.....on this one...:p

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

In this particular instance, during the recent Indonesia SS, INA fans were against Msia lah. Any matches vs Msia, they boo. They actually shouted "China, China" during WD finals.:D:p