Philippine Open 2006 cancelled

Discussion in 'Indonesia Open 2006 / Philippine Open 2006' started by blueagle, Feb 24, 2006.

1. kemana

kemana Regular Member

yes you really are!!:D

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Can I assume that Canada will have no problem finding sponsors for all the prize monies? ;)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes and no. For short term outlooking people, sponsorship would be difficult.

However, if the sponsors are informed and educated, they would support tournaments in neutral country like canada.
    1. with today's satellite and electronic programming, tv advertisements are just as effective in asia even tho actual tournament events are held in canada. Local tv network can show local commercial on tv, electronic banner flip ads on court side. The pluses are that asia sponsors can get extra exposure in canada/US for mininal cost that they can't before. I'm sure yonex japan, samsung, fedex, etc would be happy to sponsors if the above advertising features are employed.

2. i can bet you $$$$ that players from austraila, UK, denmark, germany, netherland would much much prefer to play in canada than in MAL, INA, phillipine, TH, and SG for several reasons( i can think of 3 right away).

3. ibf should seize this opportunity to accelerate the promotion badminton in north america. Why stop at 05 WC in anahiem and 06 WC in madrid?

The above educaton is not my job but ibf.
    did i said i'm selfish too? :p

#23 cooler, Feb 27, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2006
  4. Baderz_Jas

Baderz_Jas Regular Member

Student, business man wannabe =P
    Oh, that so sucks!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:

5. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

do not despair. i heard that the philippine open has already been rescheduled on may 24-28, 2006. :) we just have to wait a little longer...hope to see all of you there.

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Not yet confirm.. they are looking at the probable dates. However they are still looking at the players availability to compete during that time. Things are still under discussion between IBF and the Organisers.

7. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

They definately need more international tournaments in Canada. If they had them in Montreal, Vancouver, or Calgary it would be insane. Especially with Calgary's booming economy sponsors would have no problems. There are many families in Calgary who own entire companies that would sponsor the tournaments b/c of thier close affiliation with badminton in our community.

8. r0adk1ll

r0adk1ll New Member

IT Person
    Yes that is correct, I looked at the IBF Schedule and it seems that the Philippine Open might be after the MVP cup. And the MVP cup is this July! Egad! :eek:

Refund! Refund! Refund! :crying:

Oh yeah, for ticket holders like me, dont bother going to ticketnet, they wont return your money.

Darn! :mad:

9. event

event Regular Member

If that were true why is the only Canadian international tournament backsliding from single star to Grade A rating? This is the year following the attraction of a few of Korea's best to the single-star version, held in the first of the cities you mentioned. Is it because said sponsors are not being approached?

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's because of chicken and egg syndrome.

ibf dont want to host a 3+ stars badminton events here (van, toronto, montreal, calgary) because we never hosted one before. We had (and will) hosted many olympics before but i guess this isnt enough for the ibf :rolleyes: 1988 olympic in calgary was the most successful winter olympic ever. Many countries have asked calgary for advice/consultation. If an ibf event is 1/3 as successful as our 1988 olympic, it will still be a very successful event.

#30 cooler, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  11. event

event Regular Member

The IBF World Championships in Calgary in '85 don't count? Any idea whether they were successful? I've never heard one way or the other.

As for the IBF not wanting it, as I understand it, the stars are determined by prize money. Now the prize money obviously depends on the sponsors but I guess there could be other factors. Still, I can't imagine the IBF would tell a sponsor not to put up the money because the IBF doesn't want too many stars in an untested market. The risk is assumed by the sponsor, after all, and not by the IBF.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was also thinking about why Canadian badminton doesn't feature in the IBF grand prix radar screen if the support was so forthcoming as suggested. Why then is the leadership in Badminton Canada not taking full advantage? Maybe Cooler can explain.

Now I'm not sure whether holding all the major events, or most of them, in one country like Canada is a good idea. Unless Canada can find sponsors willing to fork out attractive prize monies, certainly not 1* quality even worse, Grade A, no way will top-class players participate and spectators flock to watch the events.

Somehow, variety is still more alluring when even the TV spectator can get to sample the different cultures and physical surroundings of different countries. Perhaps even the Olympics were held at different venues most times for this reason. And countries bid to host world events as it is not only prestigious and often times income generating, it can also be used as a political tool to bring the various communities together as in nation building. As Cooler thinks otherwise for he says Canada is a favoured venue (point 2), can he proffer some solid reasons?

Of course the IBF would like to see badminton boom in Canada (as it is in the Philippines and perhaps India now), but they need good partners to help them do the job. It therefore has to fall back on Badminton Canada again to take the initiative and to implement the plans. As one from Asia, I would like to see both the US and Canada making a greater impact on world badminton. It will then complement their status as world economic and sporting powers, apart from their enormous geographical size. :D

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

lol, i forgot 1985. I didnt even know what's badminton racket in 1985, honest.
    I think it was successful. I didnt hear any bad comments about it since i got into badminton.

My point still is: SE asia sponsors still get their money worth since their tv commercials and advertisments on courts can be shown to se asian audience even when the event is held in north america. Bonus is that ibf can get additional sponsors from US/canada as well.

14. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    GMA must resign !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i'm not advocating canada to hog all the major badminton events. I'm saying (on topic) that given the current terrorism situation, there is a window where ibf can convince sponsors and divert some of these events to canada. If the host countries think they can't give assurance of players safety, some countries wont come and sponsors will be not happy. Multiple postpontments or an event marred with an 'unfortunate incident' would be worse than the canadian option;)

#35 cooler, Feb 28, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  16. blueagle

blueagle Regular Member

i think this topic should be posted in another thread. moderators, please take note.;)

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The current Philippines situation is an isolated event - a declaration of emergency by the President to cool matters down and to avert an attempt to overthrow the government. Life is expected to be back to normal pretty soon, at least that's what we hope.

On the other hand, terrorism has now spread worldwide and nobody can guarantee that any country, not even Canada, can be spared from it.

Furthermore, if a country can find generous sponsors, it will be criminal not to stage a top-class event at home to allow one's people to enjoy. Fan support is essential to develop the game domestically. :D

#37 Loh, Mar 1, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  18. event

event Regular Member

Do you not intend to still be in Manila in July or August? At the re-scheduled event, will they honour the tickets you bought?

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I understand they will. So hold on to your tickets especially if you have a good seat. Forgo the present and enjoy something really worth it later! :)

20. jkad65

jkad65 Regular Member

Why don't they pool the prize money for the Philippine Open and MVP Cup and just have one tournament with a bigger prize pool which will hopefully attract a good number of the top players. The MVP Cup was too gimmicky, more like an exhibition than true competition.