Peter pulls out of 'Thailand Open'

Discussion in 'Macau Open / Thailand Open 2006' started by yuval_ba, Jul 27, 2006.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

So you are a pure numbers guy! If the world were that simple, accountants would rule.
    PG is not afraid of anyone. CJ was one lucky guy when he met PG previous times. In Denmark, PG was in flu condition. WCH taught CJ in the next round experience prevails over youth (same as LHI's win over CJ in MCO). In China, PG beat LD (probably for the first time) right in the lion's own den. That would have cost him just enough energy to lose to CJ in the final. Again PG lost to CJ in MO because CJ was fresh and PG had a full week's tournament before .(and winning the SO)
    Let's look at it this way. If PG were not injured and fresh (same for CJ) and both playing at their best, PG would definitely be able to teach CJ a lesson or two in advanced badminton.
    As for LD being No 1, it's not convincing because in the 3 long years, with 3 opportunities to win either the WC or Olympics, he failed, even losing (in the OSS) in the first round to a level 2 player Susilo.( LD needs the 'home' cheering to move him; in Athens Olympics ,it was cold.) During that reign, PG was injured or recovering; LCW was a crown prince in training whilst TH preferred (still does, I think) extended R & R rather than work. TH is the real world No. 1 and he proved it absolutely by winning both the WC and Olympics in 2005.
    CJ has a long way to go. There's always this thing called 'experience'. That's why it's important never to dismiss an old hand.

2. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    It's a kind of strange here. When you talked about Taufik or Gade's losses, they always have good excuses, like, need to recovery, not in good mood, too tired, don't want to win, injury, or what ever stuff you could find. Once they won 1 or 2, then they are the best in the world. they can kick anybody's butt at any time.

But for Chen Jin, Lin Dan, Chen Hong, you assume they are all machines. As long as they lost one match, they worth nothing.

So for your favorites, one win can prove they are the best, they can kick all the other's butt at any time. One win can prove all their losses just because he didn't want to win. But for players you don't like, one loss can disprove all their victories.

That's something called double standards.

3. hydrocyanic

hydrocyanic Regular Member

wasting my time
    good one :D fanboyism rulez :D

lets just say TH and PG are better player, and let the chinese machine wins, who cares :p

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Lin Dan's play and achievements in the last 3 years and his domination of the #1 rank not convincing??

On an overall basis, in the past 3 years, you can't get much better than what he has achieved. Since late 2003, he has won 15 grand prixs, and runner-upped or semi-finaled another 8 times, and not to mention the numerous China domestic tournaments he conquered. In fact, in international grand prixs, there has ONLY been 2 times in the past 3 years in which he hasn't made at least the semi-finals. Lets see any other player(s) with figures even close to his in the past 3 years. Talk about consistent dominance!

Yes, he has failed to garner the Olympics and the WC on 2 attempts, but 2 All-England titles is by no means bad on the prestige scale, and those 2 tourneys were the only exceptions! Plus, there's still chances for WC and Olympic titles coming up. In terms of prolonged consistency, however, Lin has ruled, as his general international results have shown. Furthmore, his overall record against the other top players are exceptional, with head-2-heads like 9-2 against Gade, 4-2 against LCW....

When the justifcations are so concretely clear like this, shrugging off LD's performances is just pure self denial.

Anyhow, it's too bad PG had to withdraw, since I was hoping for a marathan battle between him and young gun, CJ.

5. 2cents

2cents Regular Member

Landlording, providing vacation homes at Disney wo
    P Gade is a good player, especially good at his own thoughts and visions about Badminton. I totally agree with that. He once said that the Olympics game is the least valuable and the world championship is the 2nd least valuable. I totally agree, and actually I had said that before independently the same thing. Why? because of their representativeness. There are over 100 players competing at the all England open, while only 32 in the Olympics. Everyone knows luck is important, like the fluctuations, variations, volatilities in statistics. The number of WC players is also limited. So for Olympics, any player has a much better chance to win than other open tournaments. As a professional players, it doesn't make sense he just doesn't want to win.

Don't forget Ji Xingpeng from China won the Olympics before. So he's the best? :rolleyes: You must view he's just a lucky machine. Then how come TH must be the best after winning the Olympics. Comparing Ji Xinpeng, even Xia XZ and Sun Jun, Chen Hong was probably the best, and ranked high also. He even could not play in the Olympics because he's a Chinese. (only 3 Chinese allowed by coaches decision).

#25 2cents, Jul 27, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2006
  6. tehsham

tehsham Regular Member

Hope PG will recover in time for WC

7. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    why are u making such harsh comment on Gade??:confused:
    Hes good ok? And he beaten CJ and LD b4 so no argument about that

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

That's true about PG is always get trouble if he must clash with CHN's MS esp.LD and CJ (we can see how PG has bad record w/LD&CJ) but no logical reason for a PG to pulled out except injured considering he is very experience shuttler plus still including in top-4 MS players.As we know, between PG and the other three LD-LCW-TH have not huge difference in their performances (maybe LD has the 'best CV' and TH is the luckiest in last 3 years).Disadvantage for us is missing most excited QF match in ThO:pG vs CJ,hopefully this scenario will be happen in Madrid soon!

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

If I have to say something good about Lin Dan it is that he is one of the most prolific winners of all time. Even though others are now catching up, he is still not slowing down.

I was even more surprised to know that the guy is still 23, so really he has a long way more to go. As always when you become successful, there is a tendency to relax but Lin Dan is still firing on all guns. Hopes he keeps it going so that we enjoy the LCW-LD or PG-LD matches.

Somehow BCL/Chen Hong have not matched the top guys to warrant any real respect. Cheng Yu is beginning to earn that respect though.

Hopefully PG recovers quickly to make it good for the World Championship. It should be a fully attended Championship with all the champions there (and fit). Then only can we call it a real World Championship. TH needs to get into shape to kill rumours he has turned into a wimp; LCW needs to freshen up; and players like Chen Yu and Hafiz need to win a tournament before the World Cup to be real contenders (perhaps here in the Thai Open).

10. Morten

Morten Regular Member

actually peters record against LCW Bao and TH are different.

Bao-Gade 2-3
    LCW-Gade 2-1
    TH-Gade 6-9 or something around that. TH have won a lot of the latest encounters.

The problem for PG is that before his injury he played like Lin Dan just with a better technique but worse mental strengh, problary that was why he didnt rule 1998-2001 totally, Sun jun included. Now cause of hes knee injury he cant play the same power game as he used to and cant do the same weight training since hes afraid of injuring it again. That means when facing players like LCW LD and CJ which can run until the end of time like he also used to be able to, he is facing trouble. we have seen him run out of energy several times against LD but lately he have gained some stamina and that is problary why we have seen him beat LCW and LD this year. CJ plays kinda defensive and Peter doesnt like players doing that, thats why he has a negative record against a moderate player like Rosling.

11. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

you are totally right :rolleyes:
    I guess when you are big fan of someone you find excuses when he losses and crown him best player ever when he wins ... :p

still I think PG is such a fun to watch player because he has amazing skills and big arsenal of shots executed at the highest quality, his game style is to attack, out maneuver and hit the winners. on the other hands some players are more tacticians and try to force errors from their opponent rather than use their own skills, this can make you less appreciate their victories.
    I think this could be the reason why we PG fans try to dismiss CJ wins, it looked as if he just made Peter make too many errors :cool:

bottom line, I just made another excuse for PG.
    I hope my point will be proved in the WC.

12. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    umm.. here's a good excuse. how old are LD, LCW, CJ, BCL compared with PG? how many serious injuries have they had (injuries that removed them from competition for over 3 months) you have to take into account that peter is a bit older than the current crop of MS players. peter does extraordinarily well to play singles at his age, likewise for KJ. the physical impact of singles is huge and an aging body will recover slower than the youngsters. like somebody already said - any of the top 5 can beat any of the top 5. it just depends on the circumstances. Coops