PERODUA MALAYSIA Masters 2020 : Qualification-Final (07-12 January)

Discussion in '2020 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 6, 2020.

1. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

This is a prove that H2H doesn't mean anything, especially when you're still young in your career.

Justin L likes this.
  2. MezzL

MezzL Regular Member

TTY getting outplayed completely, she doesn't know what to do.

3. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

CYF is just too damn steady....

Justin L likes this.
  4. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    CYF nailed it.
    TTY had a Srikanth_like day.

5. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Bet someone’s going to regret skipping the world championship when she was miles above the rest of the field...

skhai91, Justin L, Anks and 4 others like this.
  6. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

why not you ask her if she regrets it? I dont believe she regrets it, its not Olympic.. you will regret it if you get injured.. thats why she doesnt play that many tournaments now..

7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

So I think there is a changing of the guard in WS now. TTY has been the undisputed #1 WS player in the world in the last few years. But I think CYF is the #1 player in the world now. I saw that CYF's ranking was just above TTY's ranking in terms of the # of points. But I didn't consider CYF to be the best player in the world yet. But as of today, I think CYF is the #1 WS player. At the top of CYF's game, she is better than TTY.

CYF has 2 consecutive wins over TTY. And because CYF is still young, she can get even better by the Olympics. TTY has her hands full for the Olympics. It was already tough for TTY with Marin back, then Sindhu beating her at the WC, and now there is CYF to block TTY at the Olympics.

Justin L, Anks and Yoji like this.
  8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

But i think its TTY and the rest of the field getting old now. at 22 this is the best time for CYF , compare to okuhara and above class..

9. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

CYF is still 21. But she turns 22 in March.

10. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Young people often make such decisions thinking that if lightning strikes once, it can strike the same place again. It’s not till later years that they reflect and realize the errors in judgement...

skhai91, Justin L, galaxyduo and 2 others like this.
  11. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

This is so true. I would understand if the entire Taiwan national team had skipped the WC to play in the Universaides. But most of the Taiwan national players competed in the WC in 2017, including CTC. So it was TTY that went out of her way to skip the WC while many of her teammates in Taiwan decided to compete in the WC over the Universaides .

The thing is, in 2017 when TTY became #1, nobody had figured out her game yet. That was the perfect time for her to win, when no coach nor player really had a good idea of how to beat her. But after 2017, coaches and players were able to focus on TTY and figure out her weaknesses at the following WCs.

To TTY's credit, she at least has an Asia Games gold medal. And of course, TTY is still a top 4 favorite to win the gold medal this year (my top 4 right now to win the gold medal are Marin, CYF, TTY, and Sindu). But badminton can be very cruel and TTY should have looked at LCW's career to know how cruel it is and how difficult it can be to win a WC.

I like to talk about Viktor's case. Momota, who has always countered Viktor's game, was suspended in 2017. Viktor was healthy in 2017 and playing his best badminton. Viktor won the WC and he will never look back. That is history now. Because who knows if Viktor will win another WC with Momota back on the circuit and the best player in the world. And then who knows if other players will ascend the throne after Momota to block Viktor. And who knows if Viktor will suffer further injuries. Viktor may never win a WC ever again, but he had one good shot in 2017 and he won it. Now we can say Viktor was a winner of the WC, something that TTY can't say yet.

#331 galaxyduo, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Justin L, Anks and Desireless like this.
  12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Its sad that people always see what she doesnt achieve, instead of what she achieves.. she is still the best WS in a long time, i d put her above LiXR and WangYihan - maybe not above ZhangNing but that is enough..

I dont think anyone is perfect..

13. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

too many boys in this match... i better watch some movie or something...

Gigabit likes this.
  14. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Sports is cruel. It always has been. Minions, TTY win so many world tour titles and SS/SSP ones. But still people will talk ohh why not Olympics and WC then. Fans will never be satisfied. If minions or TTY win future WC or OG medals, then someone will say ohh why not Gold then. The reason I take Minions and TTY is as a neutral fan, I would say they should win WC and OG medals because it is the only one missing from their medals cabinet. But even if they don't win, it's important to respect their legacy and skills.

galaxyduo and lodoss like this.
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Oops but i think Marin is above TTY, Marin must be on par with ZhangNing ... she just needs a little more titles..maybe another OG will solidify her place as the best of all time.

16. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Minions and TTY is close to legends..No one can break their year haul in a long time...People will miss Minions if Gideon retires after Olympic..

17. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

I think another OG gold for Marin and she'll be GOAT. Don't know if Marin has more titles than Zhang Ning or not. It's difficult to compare players of different eras. I don't know if the competition in Zhang Ning era were more than today WS era. So it become very hard to come to a judgement.

18. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I certainly think TTY has accomplished a lot on the SS tour and now the World Tour. But some people place a higher emphasis on the WC and Olympic. I am one of those people.

But I think some of us just shake our head and think TTY missed a really good opportunity in 2017. Look at LXR. LXR peaked just at the 2012 Olympics and won gold. LXR would not win another gold at the Olympics, or even win a gold at the WC. Who would have thought LXR would not win another gold at the Olympics or WC after 2012? If you were a betting person, you would have bet LXR would likely win another gold either at at WC or Olympics, since LXR was so young in 2012. But sports is cruel. We know now that LXR wouldn't win gold at the WC or Olympics again.

TTY can still win gold this year at the Olympics and we will probably forget about her skipping the WC in 2017. But I would say the field is much harder this year for TTY to win the gold than it was for her in 2017 when the field was weaker for TTY and she was miles ahead of every other player in 2017.

Justin L, Yoji and Anks like this.
  19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

The WC was played every 2nd year but starting in 2005, it was played every year (with exception of the Olympic year). According to Wikipedia, Zhang Ning has only won 1 WC: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_medalists_at_the_BWF_World_Championships

Marin has won 3 WCs. Not sure if it's comparable though because as I said, the WC was played every 2nd year until 2005 so that gave Marin more chances over Zhang Ning.

skhai91, lodoss, Anks and 1 other person like this.
  20. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

But one can also said she got injured last year, if not she will have won more.. 2 or 3 is about right doesnt really matter.

the fact she is from Spain and she can achieve this much after so much travelling, already place her above ZN in my book..One thing that goes in favor of ZN is her longevity, she is still at top like what 33 years old?

Still, does that mean TTY cannot be better than Marin? It will be tough comparison if she wins OG. Even with 3 WC more than TTY, overall TTY has and can win many more titles i feel..Then if everything is equal, it will all come down to Head2Head...