Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    now it's up to the BWF.
    If BWF is gonna throw the book at LD (and LM and whoever), make sure the infraction spelled out in the book!

#401 cooler, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Huh?

Well, I did consider deleting quite a few posts including X Ball's unmeritorious comment... but then, I saw that you valued it enough to bookmark it :D

Well, cooler? :p

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thank you Oldhand for your meritorious action! :)

4. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i guess the malaysian team accepted the bad calls as part of the game as it was not the first time. i agree that they should have done that, launch a formal complaint i mean. but as people have mentioned before, bad calls are harder to prove. throwing a racket and shoving other people however was witnessed by many and even caught on camera.

ok. i accept that. but i also just wanted to point out that another player who did show violent conduct and verbal abuse was penalized. as should be for any player in any sport. :)

what if the infraction was not spelled out in the book? should we just let this situation go?

5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I appreciate your consideration. You are excercising balanced moderation:)

Personally, i prefer openness within the bound of BC registration policy. Openness also keep records of BC violators that could earn them a warning to an outright ban, like in a dermerit point system on repeating speedster. So far only spammers earn an outright ban.

Personally, deleting posts doesn't curb violators much. It's llike cop catching a chronic speedster and taking away his car each time without any tickets or demerit points. That speedster just keep buying cheap old cars (ie, cheap shots) and keep on driving. Over time, that cop can't remember who and how many each violator had violated and to what degree. In internet, the cost of a lost post is nothing so the deterrent isn't there.

#405 cooler, Feb 5, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. Robbo77

Robbo77 Regular Member

Accountant
    I don't think Chinese public care too much about badminton myself:confused:, after being there, I feel the average person doesn't even know who Lin Dan is! All the teenagers are only following basketball and soccer anyhow.

Who mentioned China would pull out of some tournament if LD got suspended? Its a bit like how India threatened to pull out of the cricket test series in Australia - we can't allow countries to put pressure on independent officials due to a decision they don't like.:mad:

To stop all this line call nonsense, just do what they do in tennis and stop all these McEnroe temper tantrems by using TECHNOLOGY - get rid of line umpires all together I say:D they always call my shots out too hahahaha:p

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You must be a "very good" player like LD? :D:D:cool:

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

You have fueled his ego more -- there is no stopping him now.

9. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

You won't get a 'Yes' from him.;)

10. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

1) My question would be :
    The 2 month suspension + USD$17,500 fine McEnroe got, was it for the match in the Youtube link?

2) I've seen the vid a couple of times, from the camera angle looks like McEnroe threw racket to the ground, racket bounced & slided. Then Umpire gave the pts, then the cursing from McEnroe, then umpire announced the misconduct, more cursing, game continued.
    Compared to LD's angle of throw, the McEnroe one wasnt aimed at the umpire... but as with LD's case, many ppl will have different views.

and everyone else ...
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/2/6/sports/20246687&sec=sports
    3) This is different case, Korea female basketball player slapping opposing team player's face : got suspended for rest of season (dunno how long that is) & fine 3 million won (USD$3,184). Of course, this one the player actually hit somebody.
    This basketball incident just happened on 1 Feb - so, the Korean BA might not let go of the KO incident easily.

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

well, i think it's much easier to deal with one of your own players than with a player from a different country. i very much doubt the korean BA would be able to get away with a big fine and a suspension for the rest of the year for LD.

12. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yeah, me knows. They might apply pressure on BWF, and all that lah.

13. David Chu

David Chu Regular Member

Korea Open 2008

By the time I have I see 23 pages of debate on the recent Korea Open match involving Lin Dan.
    My two cents worth on this issue is that so long as the BWF do not use hawk eye technology to assist in making better line calls then Badminton as a sport will always have this problem of poor line calls.
    This is a "system" failure on the part of the Badminton prganisation as a whole.They consciously made the choice to use human local line judges and thus allow human error .
    So punishing Lin Dan or nor isn't gonna solve the problem .
    If BWF do not seek better solution I am quite sure before the end of 2008 there will be another tournament with poor line calls and more grumbling by players and Badminton fans alike.

14. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    A Few Cents Worth

We have a few agreed-upon facts here:
    1. The line-judges goofed up more than just once (intentionally or not is another matter)
    2. At least one of these goofs disadvantaged Lin Dan (critically or not is another matter)
    3. It follows that Lin Dan had at least minimal cause to be angry
    4. Lin Dan threw his racquet (in whose or what direction is another matter)
    5. Lin Dan exchanged words with the umpire, Li Mao and Lee Hyun-Il (the quality of the exchange is another matter)
    6. The incident held up play
    7. Lin Dan lost the match

Rather than the question of whether Lin Dan should be punished (alone or along with the others who contributed to the fracas), I believe we need to look at what purpose such a penalty (or a lack of it) will serve.

Looking sideways, we see that tennis has survived the tantrums of McEnroe, that football has rolled on past Materazzi and Zidane, that cricket has edged above Jardine and Chappell. Why should we be any less optimistic in badminton? ;)

In this particular case, we could argue that a penalty would discourage players from holding up play, would prevent them from losing their temper, would encourage China to take revenge by planting similar line-judges or by instigating similar incidents against players from Korea, etc... or, conversely, that a waiver would encourage boorish behaviour, would set a bad example, would enrage other associations, etc.

Well, such an argument would remain inconclusive well beyond the next Korea Open.

If anything, this ugly incident has reinforced the need for clean judging :(
    The lessons here are for the powers that now manage (or mismanage) the badminton show... and not for Lin Dan or Li Mao or for the line-judge who lit the fire.

To put it simply, Lin Dan has already paid the penalty.
    After a oh-so-easy first game, he lost the match, didn't he? :rolleyes:

15. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Neither should he be let off with nothing because that behaviour is not condoned either.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

#416 cooler, Feb 6, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

oldhand point is, some of people here are too concentrating on the LD penalty and not about the big picture which is fixing the 'real' problem.
    TH paid his due at 06 HKO, and LD likely get his too for 08 KO for making their point. I ask u, how come BAM and LCW turn the other cheeks in regard to 07 CO , and leaving their fans bitching it over here in BF? Could it be BAM feels it was just questionable or close calls instead of definitive bad calls at 07 CO? i don't know, just a possibility and not an assertion

#417 cooler, Feb 6, 2008
  18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

correction in red

I believe oldhand said something similar as well

#418 cooler, Feb 6, 2008
  19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Sometimes spending $1000 to fight in a legal battle over a $100 dispute is just silly

IMHO, you people have missed the main facts in this debate. :):):)

The fact that linespersons made many bad calls... so they should be sacked/replaced.

The fact that LD became violent... so LD should be punished.

The fact that LM became annoyed and reacted badly... so LM should also be punished.

The fact that LCW and BAM did not want to complain after the match... it was because they thought that to be annoyed and/or to be complaining later would not correct a situation. It's like "Why cry over spilled milk?". If they had wanted to complain, they should have done so while the match was in progress. Otherwise, complaining after the event would be just "silly".

Yes, perhaps some BCers might come in here to tell me..."But fighting for one's principles is the correct thing to do". :p:p:p

But let me put it this way... "Sometimes spending $1000 to fight in a legal battle over a $100 dispute is silly". :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just my 2 cents thrown in here.

:):):)

20. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    1. don´t think Li Mao did anything wrong
    2. where are the chinese coaches in your "facts"?
    3. in some posts Lin Dan looks like a victim to me
    4. very, very strange...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.