P&S camera

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by ctjcad, Aug 18, 2006.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks for all the inputs, red00ecstrat

hmm, i guess this sums it all up on what is the priority which i'm suppose to look for in digicam(sport photography to be exact). And it parallels & confirms with what cooler and Quasimodo said earlier on: it's the lens..;):cool:

#41 ctjcad, Aug 19, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Thanks again for all the infos, Kwun

yes, i concur with you..;)
    i see..got it...thanks again kwun for taking time with replying all my queries..i have a much better and clearer picture now abt what to look for in my next digicam upgrade..:cool:

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Do you have Aperture Priority shooting mode, instead of the various Auto Mode (Sports, Night, Landscape, etc.)? If so, you can max the aperture size and shoot with that.

-dave

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

dave, are you asking me??..if so, the answer is unfortunately not. My current digicam is one of those "cheap P&S standard" digicam(Kodak CX7530 to be exact)..And the digicam has those regular Auto Mode feature (Night, Landscape, Sports etc.)..:p
    I'm trying to upgrade my digicam to a better P&S or slr-like type-that's what my original inquiry/post(see post #499) was all about. Maybe i will look for that option also if i decide to upgrade to another P&S.thx for your input-:)

#44 ctjcad, Aug 19, 2006
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    borrowing from drag racing, there's no replacement for displacement:D

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Guys, what do you guys think of these models..

...just did a quick check and these P&S Canon models look to have the requirements (ie. aperture, ISO, shutter speed even has a aperture priority)..:p :rolleyes:

#46 ctjcad, Aug 19, 2006
  7. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    i guess lenses is the first thing that need to reach the requirement for taking indoor sports pictures. but if u step into it a bit deeper. u will find a lot of little things which will help u to get a better shot more effectively!:D

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ctjcad, if u like to shoot mostly badminton, which is fast and under indoor lighting, this put alot of demand of having the right equipment. I know of no p&s that can do this task consistently with above average quality. SInce u said u likely use your camera sparingly, investing a expensive dslr is not a good idea for now. It is a learning process of what u can and want to do with your shooting and from your camera. Even kwun, red00, or any pros start from a humble camera. As long as u understand p&s limit and dont ask for results like dslr with big lens, then even p&s will give u many enjoyable experience. Remember that the dslr is still built on old platform. They have optical viewfinders using a mirror to see through the lens, then the mirror is moved to make an exposure on the sensor. Dslr advantage is its interchangable lens, their good electronics can also be put into a p&s too but it would go to waste to process data from its tiny sensor.

above is just my opinion, i'm not a camera buff;)

9. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

I agree with cooler. There, saved myself from typing all the above out :)

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i do like to give credits to what i have learnt from the knowledgeable posters in this thread;)

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

yes, what you said, which i've highlighted in bold, that is absolutely correct..As i don't think i'm looking at myself as becoming a "professional" photographer or like some of us in this BC(esp. shooting badminton). However, I would like to just get myself a "better" equipped digicam for future events like these; cos i know my digicam won't provide me with better "functions"..Because i remember another BC member(forgot his screen-name) who took some pics in the recent Malaysian Open; i remember he used a regular P&S digicam(if not mistaken, i believe it was a Sony DSC type??) but the results didn't turn out that well in the first few days. However as the tourney progressed, his pics became better and better, and he did it all using just a regular P&S digicam..
    anyways, thanks again for all your inputs cooler..;)

#51 ctjcad, Aug 19, 2006
  12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

yes, i definitely agree with you there, red00ecstrat..the more we get into it, the more we'll discover little nuances here and there and things which we may not know before..;)

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

here's the link to the post of Gessle's "weapon" of choice(post #24), which is a Sony DSC-M1, which was used to take those pics in the recent Malaysian Open..Hmm, looking at the specs, the features look quite similar to my current digicam..:rolleyes: :confused:
    And here are the links to his pictures(True he took most if not all of those "clearer" pics from 1 angle/position & no zoomed or close ups unlike in previous days, but personally, all i wish to get is that kind of quality..:p. Notice the progression from the 1st day he started taking pics til the Finals day); and he did it all with an ultra compact P&S digicam..:rolleyes: ;) :cool:
    1st Round
    2nd Round
    Semifinals
    Finals

#53 ctjcad, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Optical vs. Digital zoom..

..one more thing guys, should i also look for this feature??..Because from what i found out, it's better to look for one which has "better" optical zoom rather than digital zoom..
    BTW, here's the comparison between my current digicam and the Sony DSC-M1..:rolleyes:

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

optical zoom means it's back to the lens;)

16. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    ctjcad, the difference you see can be attributed to other factors, such as the lighting condition in the stadium where you're taking pictures. The more light, the better.

Pay attention to the shutter speed when you're taking a picture. General guideline is a minimum of 1/60 sec to reduce or eliminate blur caused by camera shake.

Do this by manipulating aperture size, or ISO settings.

Unfortunately, you're not going to get very good "motion-shots," so you have to confine yourselves to compositions where the players are mostly still, at the start of service, relaxing before getting into ready stance, medal receiving etc.

There are various tricks to get the minimum down below 1/60 sec, though, so experiment, and take more pictures.

-dave

17. red00ecstrat

At the same time. digital zoom means "NOTHING IMPORTANT"!:D

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

dave, i totally agree with your comments above...;) However, regarding your comments i've highlighted in bold above, my current digicam doesn't have that feature. As almost all of the modes are set to Auto. Especially. my Sport mode(which i think has the fastest shutter speed), i can't even change the ISO setting..:p:confused:

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

ya, one can do all the digital manipulation in a photo editor software, including 1000x digital zoom:D It will be blurry but 1000x zoom sound cool.

#59 cooler, Aug 20, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  20. red00ecstrat

chris, normally we will be able to change the iso setting in any mode with most cameras.
    i m not sure about your case. maybe it was designed tobe that or perhaps just kinda malfunction. better to go through the instruction manual once again.