OUE SINGAPORE Open SS 2015 : QUARTERFINALS (10th April 2015)

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / China Masters / SKYCITY New Zeala' started by CLELY, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I don´t think any post by Blabl is offensive.

2. sh_shashi1

sh_shashi1 Regular Member

Student
    Blabl post is not offensive . But for me a countries dominance in badminton is only indicated by the presence of Men's single . Everything else is secondary .

3. *___*

*___* Regular Member

could you expand on this at all?

4. sh_shashi1

Student
    See its my personal opinion and I don't want any argument on this . I myself only regard and watch and follow men's single.

5. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    I think it's a valid point to be made that MS is the blue-chip event at wc, etc and so countries will focus on it more? Though I wouldnt agree that it's the sole indicator of a nation's strength and have no desire to debate w the above poster.

6. *___*

*___* Regular Member

woah woah woah, calm down. Wasn't looking for an argument at all.

This wont be a popular view but MS is actually the game I enjoy watching the least.

My preference is;
    WS>MD>XD>WD>MS

Why WS so high you ask?

WS has come on a long long way over the past 2 years and is pretty open with a good variety of players.

Why MS so low?

Probably because thats what I've seen the most of over the past few years so got a little bored of it. Some of the players have a dull un-entertaining style too.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I believe your statement on the geopolitical reality is correct. But regarding badminton, I am not so sure. The reflex is of course to compare with tennis, and in tennis the situation is very different. When Nadal wins Roland Garros, nobody says Spain got the title. Some fans like Federer, other like Nadal, and this preference is not about Switzerland and Spain. But of course people and newspaper follow more closely one's nation player. There is a balance to find between the two aspects, individual and collective.
    Last week Djokovic made a remark about this. He said the way the Davis cup is organized is not ideal : one full week, even two, devoted to the national team tournament, is too taxing for the players, though he likes to play for his nation. He said the cup should be played all year around, having here and there a day for Davis cup matches. So there would be something likes two parallel seasons, one individual, one among nations.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The big difference between tennis and badminton is :

Tennis - There is no country's name at the back of the t-shirt. Fans recognize the player, hence the fans support the players based on personality.

Badminton - It is so obvious with the individual names too. Fans support based on nationality.

9. Airos

Airos Regular Member

My interests are MS and WS. In other words, it is the singles that interest me.
    MS is obviously higher quality play wise, but WS is also very interesting for a lot of reasons.
    The way I see it - singles is a different sport altogether from doubles.
    Doubles is not really 'true' badminton, it is some other sport that is not an individual sport.

But I do watch doubles from time to time - especially if it's a big finals or if there is a pretty lady playing.
    It can be quite entertaining.[ especially if there is a pretty lady playing (like you know - Woon Khe Wei, Gloria Wijaja etc etc)]:p

10. Airos

Airos Regular Member

On another note - on the topic of nation-oriented comments:
    I don't see the problem if it remains within certain boundaries. I think it spices things up a bit.
    After watching so many badminton matches and hearing fans yell and sing for their nation - I feel it will take away a lot of the fun and make it artificial if we make it a nation neutral discussion all the time.

Also, a lot of the "arguments" had very little to do with nationality.
    Sometimes, you feel the need to defend if you feel unjustified comments have been made.

As for blabl, I have no problem with it if blabl wants to beat drums of Chinese dominance.
    I am more upset that he forgot that there was an Indian semi-finalist as well.

11. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The problem with the nations competing in badminton is that it is a possible cause of the low level of sponsorship. The sponsors would be interested only in the market of the nation they sponsor. If your brand sponsor nation x or y, then only the people of x or y would be affected. The global big companies would not be so interested.

12. sh_shashi1

Student
    Is there any different country XD ?

13. renbo

renbo Regular Member

It happens, but it is rare. For example Ponnapa played with the tall Russian, Ivanov I think, for the German GPG and even All England this year if I remember correctly

14. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    You can easily author op-eds for The Diplomat or any other strategic affairs journal. Hope its not too personal, but what subjects did you elect in school?

15. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    More like our man proved again that no matter how open the draw is he can't progress beyond the SFs in SS events. This must be the 199th defeat for Kash in QFs and SFs. :-(

16. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Assuming LCW returns early and wins at Rio, while CHN end up with 4G-5S and also win the next SC/TC/UC. So that would mean MAL is the most dominant force in Badminton, won't it? :eek:

17. sh_shashi1

Student
    What I like is what I rate and thus believe . It necessarily not have to be argued nor explained .

18. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Badminton is not as global and as popular as Tennis.

With global popularity many stars are born. As stated by Nokh88 earlier, stars are recognized globally. Stars are liked, worshiped irrespective of their nationality, globally.

In case of Badminton number of stars are few. But you would notice that, stars like Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wee are liked loved and cheered by fans across the countries.

I wish and hope that, badminton also grows as big and as popular as tennis.

#198 vkokamthankar, Apr 13, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  19. vkokamthankar

vkokamthankar Regular Member

Employed in a company
    Unnecessary use of words like "nonsense, inappropriate joke and offensive" in response to a plain post does indicate anger and hatred to me.

It was clearly a prediction by blabl after Quarter Finals. If at all he had predicted anything impossible then you are free to laugh it away or may disagree with him but need not ridicule him.

And predictions and wishful thinking can anyway go wrong but now off course we can check the reality. In OUE Singapore Open among 10 finalists; 5 were Chinese and 3 Chinese did finish as Winners and 2 finished as Runner-ups.

I feel, in a forum like this everyone is free to express there views and it is quite possible that one may not agree with someones views, but difference of opinion needs to be expressed responsibly without offending.

No offence meant. Thanks ! Enjoy Badminton !!