OUE Singapore International Series 2015

Discussion in '2015 Tournaments' started by udin_udik, Aug 19, 2015.

1. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

OUE Singapore International Series 2015

Tournamentsoftware link:
    http://tournamentsoftware.com/sport/tournament.aspx?id=555F7302-FDDD-4668-82F7-5E0B5AF34858

The reason of me posting this new thread is because I see in the draw that Ronald Susilo playing again, from the profile it says this Ronald Susilo was born in 1979, which is correct. However his best MS ranking is 200 something. I believe the real Ronald Susilo once have a better ranking at least Top 20. He beat Lin Dan in Summer Olympic 2004 and won few medals in South East Asian Games or maybe Commonwealth games.

Is this another Ronald Susilo ?
    and if this is the real Ronald Susilo, why would he play again?
    He owns a badminton academy in Singapore and he should have no financial issue?
    Any Singaporean here ?

I am looking forward to a match in WS between Malaysian prodigy Goh Jin Wei Vs Fitriani of Indonesia possibly in Round2.

2. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong playing too...

3. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Yes he is the same. He is probably playing on sponsors exemption to attract fans. And the official BWF best rankings ignore the old IBF database.

4. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

I always wonder why singapore dont have gpg and gp event. Even at level 4 it shd be at least ic level... Afterall it is a country that host ss event

5. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Population? Maybe [MENTION=7]Cheung[/MENTION] can throw some light.

6. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Managed to look at the bwf website and found out some interesting results and news. First of all there are no participants from Korea, Japan and China.

Also noted that all the young players from India have lost and there is no player left after today match.

Found out that the host country players are also not performing very well. Loh kean yew even lost to an Indonesian players lower ranked than him.

In this tournament, countries that participate send in their young players. Also noted that Indonesia and Malaysia have the most number of players that have safely advanced to the quarterfinals of the tournament. Even youngsters from Malaysia even win over players higher ranked than them. Noticed good performance from Cheam June Wei 17 years old, Yeoh Seng Zeo 14 years old and Goh Jin Wei 15 years old. Future star in the rise perhaps. Even newly formed XD young pair age 19 tan kian meng / peck yen Wei have also advanced to play in the quarterfinals. Amazing.

#6 blabl, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It would need some confirming but these are some local and other factors to consider :

- Local badminton association limited manpower. A lot of permanent staff are tied up running local community events

- local BA limited resources and need to allocate funds according to greatest impact

- top BA management trying to sort out local national players as a bigger priority. One function of a tournament is to give your own players a chance of entering and gaining points on home ground advantage. If you only have two or three players at GPG level, is it worth that effort?

- sponsorship available? Shouldn't be too much of a problem in Singapore.

- can a GPG/GP fit in the calendar?

- the higher the level of tournament, the higher the requirements of BWF. It's just easier to run a International Series.

- Singapore may have been asked to run the International Series by BWF; they were not asked to run a GPG or GP tournament. The International Series might fit better in an International Series circuit that allows mainly younger players to build up experience in competitions.

Like most things, the reason is probably multifactorial.

8. blabl

blabl Regular Member

9. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Interesting thing to note for this tournament is that Malaysia really send in players as young as 15 and 14 years old for this senior tournament. Then another thing to note is a new XD pair has been formed both young age 19. Initially Peck Yen Wei / Tan Wee Gieen played together in XD. Now Tan Wee Gieen only concentrate in playing MD and no longer play in XD. So Peck Yen Wei is given a new partner. Tan Kian Meng is a former MS player but now he has switched to playing XD with Peck Yen Wei. Wow a young and versatile player indeed.

10. blabl

blabl Regular Member

It is so great to see Ronald Susilo born in year 1979 playing once again to represent Singapore. He is the oldest player with vast experience in this tournament. Sad to say his gallant run for this tournament ended today with a lost to Ivanudin Rifan Fauzin another young player from Indonesia. Hoping to see Ronald Susilo in action till the finals of the tournament but it is a match not meant to be after all.

11. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

first time ever to see 4 Malaysia MS players in international tournament semifinals as MAS all-affair ...

12. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes managed to browse through the results today and I really got a shock of my life. Then I said oh my god. 6 MS from Malaysia entered the quarterfinals. Then today 4 MS have qualified to play in the semifinals. I really got a huge shock. I just cannot believe it. It will be an all Malaysian MS affair at the semifinals. Congratulations to the players. These players are youngsters too and it is really so unbelievable. Sad to say another newly formed XD pair of tan kian meng / peck yen Wei are forced to retire at the quarterfinals without playing due to injuries. Unsure who is injured here but I believe that both may have a chance to enter the finals too if they didn't withdraw at the quarterfinals. Surely the Malaysian badminton players are showing improvement. Not forgetting as well all the huge upsets that the Malaysian players have created in the recent WC at Jakarta, Indonesia. Once again congratulations.

#12 blabl, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  13. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

meanwhile Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong getting shock defeated by the unknown INA pair, who also beaten another experienced MAS pair Chow Pak Chuu/Tan Bin Shen before...

14. blabl

blabl Regular Member

No worries this is just a minor blip. I believe that both Koo kien keat / tan boon heong will bounce back and improve again before Olympics start next year.

15. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

but they suppose to go for the bigger tournament such as super series & GPG but they no go, now go to not so professional tournament already lost in early rounds...

16. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Tan boon heong is a good MD player no doubt. His fasted smash broke the world record and is recorded at the Guinness book of record. I think the problem lies with his partner Koo kien keat. I have no worries for both of them and I strongly believe they can bounce back. No worries now is the time for youngsters to take over. Still have Goh V Shem / Tan Wee Kiong to take over. Both of them have created lots if upsets this year by winning over world ranked no 1 MD and also former 2014 WC MD gold medalists at Jakarta, Indonesia this year. If I am not mistaken Goh V Shem has got good and powerful smashes. Goh V Shem smashes also broke lots of world record at Thomas Cup 2014. No worries bright future here with good youngsters to take over.

17. ibelieveindevil

ibelieveindevil Regular Member

Well indeed a shock for koo.tan. Anything other than a champion is a shock. Afterall they won 2 ic events this year but lets just watch for their performance at vietnam gp

18. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Indonesia is doing pretty well by having 5 representations on 4 departments. Hope they bring 4 titles today! Rooting for Jorji (Gregoria Mariska) in WS department. She should take this one.

19. blabl

blabl Regular Member

Yes definitely congratulations to the Indonesian players. They are doing so well. I am pretty sure that the Indonesian players will be able to win 4 gold medals today. Over all for Indonesia performance it is very good as they really have bright shining youngsters. Singapore players on the other hand may still need to buck up to win. Then as for the Malaysian side, they have secured 2 bronze medals, 1 silver and 1 gold, medals from the MS department. In the QF stage the Malaysians have already dominated by having 6 MS players advancing to play in the MS. Then for the MD department there is a match of Malaysia MD vs another Malaysia MD thus one pair has entered the semifinals and secured the bronze medal.

Overall performance, Indonesia performance is the best as they have secured 7 medals for this tournament. Malaysia is second after they have secured 5 medals. Singapore secured 3 medals. Thailand secured 4 medals. Taiwan secured 1 medal.

#19 blabl, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

A surprise WS finalist in SIN Yeo Jia Min who overcame MAS Goh Jin Wei's conqueror TPE Hsu Wen Chi. Awaiting her is INA Gregoria Mariska.

The MS will be fought between two MAS Soo Teck Zhi and Iskandar Zainuddin.