One unforgettable Sunday in Guangzhou...

Discussion in 'Japan Open / China Open 2006' started by badMania, Oct 23, 2006.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..Me think can take the spicyness..

badMania, thank you for sharing some more answers to my inquiries(sorry, rest of post snipped for brevity)...:cool:
    Haha, yah, now i can imagine how "spicy" Shicuanese dishes are-thx for describing...I think i can manage the "Zhong la" level and most likely their spiciest, "Te la"..Just don't give me any acidic-type juices(ie. OJ) or any funny drinks, cos i will have a very upset stomach afterwards...hehehe:p:( :D
    Actually i've eaten a few of Korean's spiciest dishes also-ie. Yuh-keh-jang(sp?) and of course the ever famous Indonesian dishes with their spiciest chillies-yuummm..hahahaha;):p :eek: :D :cool:
    **BTW, does anyone know if they have Shicuanese dish/restaurant(s) in and around S'pore or Kuala Lumpur?? I'd like to try it the next time i visit S'pore and/or KL...hehe;):p:)

#41 ctjcad, Oct 26, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2006
  2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think they should have one or two in S'pore (not much though). The best place to have Shichuanese dish is in Shenzhen...lots of restaurants selling it at cheap prices.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Some brief introduction about Sichuanese cuisine

Szechuan cuisine, Szechwan cuisine, or Sichuan cuisine (Chinese: 四川菜 or 川菜) is a style of Chinese cuisine originating in the Sichuan Province of southern China which has an international reputation for being hot and numbing (麻辣 -- "Ma La", their specialty!!), because of the common ingredient (花椒 -- "Hua Jiao", the chilly!!).

The common ingredient in Szechuan cuisine is Sichuan mala, or "numbing pepper" is an indigenous plant that produces a fragrant, numbing, almost citrusy spice. Also common are ginger and spicy herbs. This emphasis on spice may derive from the region's warm, humid climate, where people need a good sweat and necessitates sophisticated food-preservation techniques which include pickling, salting, drying and smoking.

Some well-known Szechuan dishes include Kung Pao chicken and Twice Cooked Pork. Although many dishes live up to their spicy reputation, often ignored are the large percentage of recipes that use little or no hot spices at all, including dishes such as Tea Smoked Duck.

Note that the Kung Pao chicken (China version) is very different from those that you find in the U.S. Chinese restaurants or express takeouts. It's spicier and really uses that "Hua Jiao"!!

4. tracyleesy

tracyleesy Regular Member

undergraduate
    [**BTW, does anyone know if they have Shicuanese dish/restaurant(s) in and around S'pore or Kuala Lumpur?? I'd like to try it the next time i visit S'pore and/or KL...hehe;):p:)[/quote]

Dear ctjcad, the spicyness of Si Chuan Cuisine is totally different from the spicyness of our favorite curry! haha... their spicyness will cause your libs and tougue to become numb! That is the effect of "MA LA"....haha...the "MA" here in chinese word means numbness. I've tried Si Chuan a few times already, I think not many people can get use to the taste of Si chuan cuisine, especially those spicy dishes. I've tried the Si Chuan steamboat before, usually they will put a lot of dried chilli and most of the Si Chuan dish is quite oily as they love to use sesame oil to cook their dish, I can say that the soup of the steamboat or even other dishes are fully covered with Sesame oil and pepper as well ! It's mainly because Si Chuan people living in cool area, so they can take the spicyness of their food easily! Am I right badMania?:p In Singapore, you will be able to find a real original Si Chuan Restaurant in China Town! Do have a try! haha.......;)

Still remember last time I tried the Si Chuan Steamboat, as we scared we can't really take the spicyness, so we ordered half bowl of soup is spicy and another half is chicken herbal soup! haha.... here's the pictures of the steam boat........ you can see all the dried chillies are floating on the soup!!! HOT!!!!!:D

Attached Files:

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..

(rest of post snipped for brevity)..ahhh, yes, i have tried this type of dish before here in the U.S., but a long time ago..And i'm sure it probably tastes different than its counterpart in mainland China(as is probably most other international dishes served in the U.S.)...haha:p:p :) :D
    Hehe, and as far as the kung pao chicken's taste being much more different here in the U.S.'s (restaurants/express takeouts) than in China, hehe, i can imagine..:rolleyes: :p ;) :D ..

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Hmmmm yum yum...

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Sorry folks for getting really off topic..

..hahaha, tracyleesy, thank you for sharing some more description of the dish...and the pic!!!...It sure looks tempting(eventhough i haven't tasted it yet)..:p:eek: :(
    I will keep that in mind of the restaurant in downtown S'pore the next time i visit..(btw, mind telling me the name of the restaurant??)..hehe:p :eek: :) ;)

Anyways, sorry folks and badMania for turning this post off topic(as it's getting close to lunch time here also:p)...this thread seems like it has turn into "All About Sichuanese dish" thread..hohoho..:rolleyes: :eek: :p :eek: :( :D ;)

#47 ctjcad, Oct 26, 2006
  8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think there is a thread (or 2) just on talking about foods. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30874&highlight=Sichuan
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8041&highlight=Sichuan:D

#48 cooler, Oct 26, 2006
  9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic..

..ants, any place near KL where we can try this kind of dish??..hehe;);):p:D :)

#49 ctjcad, Oct 26, 2006
  10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

#50 ctjcad, Oct 26, 2006
  11. tracyleesy

tracyleesy Regular Member

undergraduate
    haha.....we nearly off topic already! sorry badMania! haha.... in fact, I'm wondering.... how's the INA players able to get used to this kind of food????? haha.........

dear ctjcad, I will let you know the restaurant name as soon as possible after I check it out for you, kay??? haha........or maybe next year we go to have a Si Chuan cuisine first before we attend the WC!!! It helps us to "warm up"!!! haha...........

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic..

...okay, thank you for doing that, tracyleesy-much appreciated!...hehe;) :cool:
    BTW, hopefully brother ants and other BC/BF people joining the WC will come along as well...;):) :D :cool:

13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I LOVE the "Ma La Huo Guo", which is the hot pot. The pic all of u see is the so-called "Yuan Yang" which consists of two soup base...one spicy and one not. I just had that with my sis and dad here in HKG a couple of weeks back!

My sis, being based in the US...can't take the spicyness. On the other hand, my other sis, based in Zhuhai....is absolutely fond of the food! It does take 2 years of training for her to be accustomed to Chinese local cuisine like Sichuanese or Hunanese (another different kind of spicyness) food :D

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i see, i see...hmmm, still speaking of spicyness, forgot to ask, did you by any chance take some pics of the dishes you had with the players??...Cos i can imagine, most likely *half* of Luluk's and Hendra's dinner intake was liquid(in the form of Coca Cola and ice cubes)..haha:p;):eek: :D

#54 ctjcad, Oct 26, 2006
  15. rhinovinda

rhinovinda Regular Member

Scientist
    wow what a nice story incl. introduction of dishes. I believe kido can take the most spicy food since he came from west sumatra.

16. verinee@yey

verinee@yey Regular Member

stdnt
    kido is from west sumatra...where is luluk,alven and hendra come from?

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

...for luluk and alvent, you can check and read thru this link:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20453

as for hendra, badMania can has to fill you on that....or you can do a search in this forum...;)...and yes, Markis Kidho *should* be able to take in those spicy foods because, of course, he came from where Padang food(arguably Indonesia's spiciest foods) is originated(West Sumatra/near Aceh area)..;):cool:

#57 ctjcad, Oct 26, 2006
  18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I think Hendra Setiawan is from East Java. He is Hendrawan's brother in law.

19. verinee@yey

verinee@yey Regular Member

stdnt
    thanks guys for ur sharing!!

20. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Hendra (also Silvi Anggarini, Hendrawan's wife) is from Pemalang near Tegal (Central Java)
    Hendra, Simon & Heny Budiman are from Sinar Mutiara Tegal then moved to Jakarta joined with bigger badminton club.