Olympic And World Champion Taufik To Retire After The 2008 Olympics

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by ants, May 14, 2006.

1. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

i would love to see a match where the condition of both Th and LD are perfect... so far, when they meet, either one of them isn't in perfect condition... i would definitely like to see a perfect match..

2. blessing

blessing Regular Member

haha.. to me.. i feel dat taufik will strikes in major tournaments eg..asian..olympics..world champ.. while lindan took more open titles..

3. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Except for Sudirman 05, where TH/LD played okay, most times when they meet, for e.g. WC05 was kind of disappointing, LD played badly in the final while TH played a great game, therefore I concur with you. As fans, we want to watch great badminton games regardless of which country they represent, especially if we have to pay to fly/room/board/and pay to watch the games.

4. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

As badminton fans, we would all love to watch matches where every player play their hearts out and not walk out (except due to injuries), or throw away the deciding game when he knows there is no way he can win. Because at the end of the day, he is not the only one who is going to lose but the fans in general. That's why I prefer a PG/LD or LD/LCW final because these matches have proven to more enjoyable to watch and it doesn't really matter who is the eventual winner because you know they played to their best.

5. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

What's the worst kind of match

I don't quite agree with you speaking on behalf of badminton fans,so it'll be nice if you can just speak for yourself.
    As a badminton fan,I don't feel players owe me anything because they never offer a guarantee anyway.If I feel entitled to great matches just because I've committed unusual amount of time ,money and energy, then I'm in for some real disappointment. I go and expect nothing and chances are at least one match will be great. That's good enough for me. Any more will be a bonus.
    Any TH match is tantalising in prospect because of the high unpredictability element.Even when it's disappointing , it can be interesting.TH is not just great in badminton but he can also be a creative thinking guru. I enjoy the many different ways TH has managed LD emotionally so that LD even forgot the muscle show and don't feel great even in victory. LD should thank TH for that. He's giving him arrogance-reducing therapy and teaching him some manners: how to win without making your opponent feel lousy.
    But what's the worst kind of match? It's not the one where TH proved he 's the best overgrown net-hitter.It's the one where the match is fixed. It's the one like in the WBC06 WSF where ZN had to play such wild badminton with an incredible 26 u. errors so as to ensure that XXF can win.And not a few all-CHN MS matches.They play it so well that if you believe it, you are an idiot; if you don't , your intelligence gets insulted.That's badminton at its lowest class. Can be great to watch but yet generates a sickening feeling.

6. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Pleeease don't let this thread go the same way as just about every other Taufik of Lin Dan related thread... it doesn't even have anything to do with the topic of the thread but it always pops up...

7. bananaboy

bananaboy Regular Member

business owner
    The method they used to determine their so-called statistic is absolutely ridiculous. If they say 26 unforced errors... probably half of them are like you smash-return a shuttle into the net + a bunch of "FORCED" errors. If I remember correctly, the stats were provided by the umpire and it seemed to me that they all have their own point of view as to what a smash winner, net winner, and clear winner is... and if they couldn't decide what to consider that one point is, then they just consider it as an "unforced error":confused::confused::confused:

You say Taufik played mind-games with LD when Taufik knew he couldn't win...:confused: Here is a quote from your post that I like to refer back to you: if you believe it, you are an idiot; if you don't , your intelligence gets insulted.

8. Nikchan

Nikchan Regular Member

Student
    i dont think age has anything to do with his retirement. he wil be 27 or 28, and unless i am mistaken, some other players are that age too, KJ... and PG defeinitely is older than that. taufik's come into international badminton at a very early age, and has had 10 years of it already, the same as, or even more than most other players. and he's done evrything in his career except the AE.. so there is not much left to achieve and aspire for i guess.... truly great player, i really hope he makes these last two years count. good luck mate

9. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Denmark players seem to have a very long lifespan (careerspan, whatever). Peter Rasmussen was the same right?

10. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Well I suppose if a player feels he doesn't owe anybody to play except for himself, it just speaks of his character. Throughout the history of sport, it is noted that a truly professional & responsible player will take the fans into consideration and is not self-centred. I can't imagine a match void of fans.

I don't believe in blind loyalty & certainly bear no grudges against any player except that I don't condone certain behaviour.

11. emmsfan

emmsfan Regular Member

Student
    I didn't really expect this.................
    I'm really gonna miss him, but maybe he's quitting because he had some secret dispute with PBSI???
    For example, look at Chen Hong, retirement only for 2 months....
    and he was back on his feet again, though not playing for the national team.
    Taufik is ALWAYS angry (not always but most of the time anyway) with PBSI. Maybe...........
    Anyway, hope we get to see him play some more....

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah hopefully he'll do the same as Chen Hong. I don't really see him quitting for good too soon. Quite a few players come back after announcing their retirement to play a bit more.

13. newjazz

newjazz Regular Member

typist
    hey.. I saw his interview in the Singapore TV recently (before aviva open started), he mentioned that "his family want him to continue playing..."
    and he said: errrr... I don't know until when.. .may b 29 or 30 years old....

sound like a very good news for TH's fans....

14. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    yes this (sad) news is true. i guess taufik doesn't have enough motivation to compete at a level he was before. we will surely miss him ! ! !

15. kidosetiawan

kidosetiawan Regular Member

Student
    Taufik...INA needs to find another solution...they need to get new rising stars....stop dependancy on Taufik....INA is begining to be like AS roma in football while Taufik is like Totti.......they are the life of INA and AS roma

16. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    You are right. Indonesia should be producing "young blood" to remain competitive in the international tournaments for the next 5 years. Korea and Japan will be the next top contenders. Watch out for them! :)

17. kimpe_bultang

kimpe_bultang Regular Member

hmmm, athlete and student
    I think Taufik should hang on until INA got a one-level player as him... Maybe wait for Andre, Simon, Sony or Tommy to be better first... Or not, INA's future is doom...

18. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    i think by that time, andre, sony and simon will be already a level up.. so don worry bout it!!
    :D

19. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    Bad news..I love to c he plays..Maybe TH should become their coach after retired!!:rolleyes:;)Then they can become the top players in the world!!:)

20. kimpe_bultang

kimpe_bultang Regular Member

hmmm, athlete and student
    Not all players can coach... Well, I'd say that he go and coach in his club rather than in PBSI... Groom the young ones to be just like him in a diff way.. :D :D